Buying Advice Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #71  
Trailers are a great piece of equipment to have as long as they belong to a friend that you can borrow & use their bigger truck to pull it with.
Then again, some of the situations they get you involved with makes you rethink that at times:confused3:

Yep, one of the reasons I don't borrow from friends; well that and I don't really have any friends.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #72  
Yep, one of the reasons I don't borrow from friends; well that and I don't really have any friends.

LOL, yep, still living the rural life with some farming going on, not as much as it used to be, we've had some great times & stories from it for sure.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #73  

Don't get in a hurry now, my mom has said that one of the issues with getting older is it is sad to experience all your friends and family pass away. My brother passed away a couple of weeks ago and the thing I dreaded the most was having to break it to mom.

Larry, I know you are attempting at a little humor but I will say you certainly make my short list on TBN.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #74  
Don't get in a hurry now, my mom has said that one of the issues with getting older is it is sad to experience all your friends and family pass away. My brother passed away a couple of weeks ago and the thing I dreaded the most was having to break it to mom.

Larry, I know you are attempting at a little humor but I will say you certainly make my short list on TBN.

Thanks Steve, I sure am sorry to hear about your brother, I really treasure mine.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #75  
I have read at least the first four pages and had to stop, work got in the way. Something that was not mentioned any where I saw and may have been covered is 3pth lift capacity. I cleared some rather large trees (much older than 40 year old pines were as large as 36 inch diameter in pine and hardwoods) and did all the lifting with the 3pth hitch and hay forks. They are solid heavy forks and not the cheap ones like Tractor Supply sells. So that might solve the fel lift capacity.

As to mowing the area I found using tractor on lawn is the turning of the front wheels. That is where you tear up the turf. As to tractor weight I have used my Kubota M6800 with loaded tires and rear finishing mower but never would unless on the dry side. Not sure of that tractor especially with the cast iron rims and loaded tires but well over 4,500 pounds. Went to a B2710 Kubota I think maybe less than 2,000 lbs but much better on the lawn. Would never do what you want in lifting.

JD will finance a used machine and a year ago were doing so very favorably in terms and rates. You may also wish to consider leasing what you think you want and if you could find one coming in off a lease it might lease lower price. Depending on your dealership and what they have in used they may be able to either loan or rent you tractor to really give yourself a try in your real life situation.

As to difference in cabs on JD would really suggest your reviewing their web site for that. Not being rude on any dealership but keeping up with some of those items is tough. Well say my used JD and with air seat is great. One thing will say about it the AC works GREAT. Now you may run little higher temp than us but not much and we have the humidity if not as high as you very near it. One thing to realize on a cab, you will have to run the AC on days an open station tractor you would be very comfortable with. Two reasons, of course the heat on the glass but the open doors at least on mind would never last around trees or such.

Also, have you even considered hiring some of the work done: pick what you want to do say the lawn and light work and hire out the big boy lifting or you take the bigger heavier work and hire out the lawn cutting.

You may find good selection of used there with cabs and great AC if so you might could find all you need in both lawn care and larger in a few year old used. Now this may shock some out there but there are some really great tractor sales people. I have been blessed with three over the years and they were honest, informed and did a great job for me which lead to sales for them. Now know very well one who has a large business only because the has the brands wanted for at least 50 miles and would not trust him to tell me the day of the week. If your dealership really knows their customer they know how a used tractor has been treated and care for.
There was a thread here very recently about mowers with AC, you may want to look it up for the suggestions there. Depending on your area you may be able to buy a true mower and hire a person to cut the grass using your equipment for a price you are pleased with. You would be paying cash which many teens like. kt

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #76  
In my experience only, any one machine for all you ask of it is going to be a "compromise tractor". No tractor will do it all well, so prioritize. If you have the typical yard and house, ie. not a shrub, tree free yard with a square or rectangular house footprint. Unless you Roundup the heck out of your yard, with a 3,4 or 5 Series you are going to have places it simply won't go. We don't have anything in our yard and thanks to several thousand dollars spent on Pavestones our house no longer has nooks and crannies to mow; much easier to mow. We were lucky enough to start with a blank slate and designed our property with ease of maintenance in mind; could be done with 3 or 4 Series, but still not ideal.

You will just have to prioritize uses and get the one best suited for those tasks then get by with the others.

I can certainly identify with your situation, we have about ten tractors, but I can now only operate those with cabs. Our kids and grand kids now mow our yards with a BX2660, but if absolutely necessary I could do it with my 5740, but sure hope it never comes to that.

One of our neighbors has a 3520 with MMM and still needs a zero turn, another has a Kubota L3540 with MMM and still had to buy a zero turn.

Suggestion: Get every comfort feature available in your cab tractor, as you age you will be glad you did. Consider any short term or one time jobs and consider renting the right equipment, it's saved us a lot of money and fuel and allowed us to get by quite well with what we have.

I know I've not helped a lot on specifics, but that's because I can see no one tractor solution.

good info post. Just after I bought my unit, I decided to buy a garden tractor to do the mowing in some tight spots. i can mow it all with the larger unit, but it takes longer when I have to move slower on the sloped areas