tractor choices

/ tractor choices
Give Vic Keoting<sp> a call at hitchin post trailers in Lake George Colorado, good folks.

Phill

I called them and as my luck is going they are no longer carrying Kioti :)

I asked them if they are going to be picking up another line which they replied, yes we are trying to get Bobcat.... From what I understand Bobcat is just a different color Kioti.... so who knows why the change.

anyway they said they won't have that until march earliest so that may not help me.

/ tractor choices #22  
The Montana model you were looking at is most likely made for Montana by LG of South Korea, the same company that makes cell phones, TV's, washing machines, and have made tractors for some time. Recently LG has decided to go the way Kioti, TYM, Kubota and market their tractors, in the US, themselves. You will see dealers start to carry them, they will be blue and under the name of LS tractors. I don't think they will be going any where, they are a big company and can weather the storm.

/ tractor choices #23  
Go to the Stock Show and kick some tires. I started my serious search there and it was a tremendous time saver. For what it is worth, the local JD dealer (Potestio Bro's) will be there, and they have always been respectful sales folks (though the tractors were just a little too rich for me). The nice part is that if there are competing brands/models on site you can go back and forth to 'feel' the differences.

/ tractor choices #24  
Not to be too negative, but there have been lots of posts here on the Montana fuel tank leaking. THe location is not the best for sure (under the floorboard low on the ground) but the issue was that the mounting screw locations were breaking out and the tank was leaking. I dont know if they corrected that flaw in the design or not, but even with beefing up the mounting points, putting a fuel tank a foot off the ground is not to bright especially a plastic one.

/ tractor choices #25  
Sense you're getting a little frustrated; don't be. Embrace the shopping around- that's part of the fun. Have you found someone who just digs fence holes with a higher powered machine so you could put the fence up yourself and then maybe get a little smaller unit with a cab and front mount blower? I have a Kubota B3030HSDC that sounds like it will do most everything else you're looking to do. Love the cab and front blower.

/ tractor choices #26  
For what it is worth I use my equipment in a New Mexico ski town with elevations ranging from 6000 to 8400 ft. Usually small plots of 10 acres or less with most of them being around 2 acres. I have selected equipment that is large enough to get some real work done yet still be manueverable in tight quarters. I would get something large enough to handle 6' to 8' implements that are heavy duty.

I would vote for a real cab, 4x4, hydro, full weights or RimGuard, front blower,
84" rear blade, 72" heavy duty boxblade, top and tilt hitch, 84" landscape rake. I would consider something like the Deere 3520 with Uniferth wheel spacers or a larger 4520 both with R1 tires. I would skip the phd and rent a skidsteer unit when ready to drill them all.

I know this sounds larger than you need but in the big picture trading up to larger tractors is too costly, and if you buy large enough and buy the right equipment the first time you will be money ahead. Think twenty years use when buying a tractor and equipment.

/ tractor choices
I went to the denver stock show today, and I was hoping for alot more tractor choices.

but ther was only bobcat, John Deere and Kubota. anyway JD had exactly what I saw at the dealer ship.
bobcat had a good deal, well kind of, free FEL so I could get a big tractor for less price, however if you take the FEL then you lose any chance at good financing so they wanted 8.99%.

bota had a really nice tractor. I little less than the JD, and better financing. I'm pretty happy with that. it was a dealer that was a ways away so I'm going to go to the one in town tomorrow and see what they say but bota might be the winner right now.

/ tractor choices #28  
First off, WELCOME!

I've been operating tractors on-and-off for 30 years and just recently got a large enough property to "justify" a tractor.

No two people are exactly the same nor will they value the same features but I offer some things that I have been thinking about when it comes to getting a tractor - currently have a Kubota B2410 (24hp) HST and need to go BIGGER for field work.

HST is nice, for lawn work and extensive loader work, basically any time you need to change directions often or carefully control ground speed changes while at full power. This is often the case for me while tilling the 1/2ac garden, mowing, picking up leaves with the vac and such. One thing I do not like is HST is either "full blast" or sitting still for long periods because you just cannot hold a steady speed, "cruise control" is a farce (at lest on our B2410).

One thing to consider is with an HST you lose more HP thru the trans than with a gear transmission. Therefore, a tractor with lower name-plate rating but a gear trans will generally perform as well as a higher rated HST model. You also don't have to worry about thick hydraulic fluid in the COLD weather or pre-warming it for properoperation with a gear transmission.

If you ever plan to do field work, I would take an HST off the list of possibilities. Modern "shuttle" type gear transmissions allow rapid direction changes and even range shifting in some cases without comming to a full stop.

I prefer a loader for deep snow, there is a LOT less to go wrong with a loader than with a blower and you can use a loader all year.

Pulling posts takes more force than one might think. You can look up the 3pt ratings for my 2410 but one would think it would pull the post right out in east Tx sandy clay, NOT. I would look for a minimum of 2,000# at the 3pt for reliable post pulling and closer to 3,000 if it's something you have to do a lot.

Filled tires, YES yes and yes. Helps with leaks, you find the bigger ones quickly and can even prevent smaller nusience ones. Also makes the tractor a lot more stable by lowering the center of mass.

As to brand, the Jd WILL hold it's value better than anything else in the CUT and larger models but that's not to discount Kubota and the like (NH, Case) because they will perform very well too. THE one overriding thing I like best about JD is that they offer FACTORY attachments and impliments for almost every tractor they have ever sold. You can got to the dealer or on-line and see what is available for your tractor model and no other manufacturer can even come close to JD in the sheer number of attachments that are tested and verified to work with your machine. In my book, that's worth a lot.

/ tractor choices
I went to the bota dealer today, and I heavily leaning towards the LS3540.

Its got everything I want,
its got a little more HP than the JD, 37 versus 32
about 1000 less in cost,
better financing 60 month 0% with no down, versus 36 month 0% and 10% down
as well as is bigger so it has more ground clearance.

now I have to get it run by the wife :)