Traction Tractor Cover

/ Tractor Cover #11  
Do you not not have wind damage to the tarp and tractor?

We don't keep any of our equipment under tarps (though I may start doing so w/ a couple of imlements, since we're running out of space in the garages). But, I've pitched a few tarps while camping in some pretty substantial storms, and as long as you can get the edges low enough so that most of the wind blows over the tarp instead of catching it from underneath, there's usually not a problem. Don't use bungies to guy out the corners - use line (paracord is fine) and check it once in a while to make sure the lines are taught. Snow may be an issue during the winter, but I don't think the OP will have that problem in Atlanta.

/ Tractor Cover #12  
We have never had rodent issues l have to wipe the white cat hair out of the seat.

/ Tractor Cover #13  
I've had my Massey tractor since June of 2015 - so that's three full years. Its been stored outside on the concrete driveway in full sun and full rain or snow during the entire time. I've never experienced any mouse or rodent issues. I often cover the seat with a large black heavy duty garbage bag. At times - I've had a certain type of cover I put over most of it except the fel arms/bucket etc. etc. The covers I've used are designed for large motorcycles or atv units. We have lots of wind here also. Unit is just fine with little sun fade or aging to be seen. Once a year I use a "restore" product that makes it look showroom new - including handle covers and dash and metal and plastic surfaces and vinyl seat and steering wheel. I attribute no rodents to the fact I provide no shade and it only sits on concrete instead of gravel or grass.

Just my experiences for the 1st 3 years.

by the way - south facing sun exposure all year long.

/ Tractor Cover #14  
I have kept a lot of equipment in the woods. The rodents here aren't smart enough to recognize a tarpped machine or at least don't seek them out over uncovered stuff. They will inhabit anything that is parked in the woods and has a warm engine and warm oil filled transmission/hydraulic system. They can always find a place to stay dry and comfy tarp or not.

gg

/ Tractor Cover #15  
This is a 1980 that has set out uncovered most of its life I was told by the last owner of 32 years when I bought it from him a few months ago.

1980 ford 3600 rusty.jpg

/ Tractor Cover #16  
Ford 2000; 3 cyl gas; 4/1 trans....I have no barn nor shelter for my tractor but have a friend in the billboard business and he scored for me a 14'x45' flex-face billboard which I cut up into tarp sized pieces. I take the muffler off the exhaust pipe, put a can on it, then an upside down large plastic mixing tub over instruments and seat, then lay the 8x10' 'tarp' over the tractor. I use spring clamps to secure the tarp to the back fenders and both steering arms. It keeps the rain off and, so far, no varmint except a wasp nest under the hood. It's also large enough to cover much of the rear tires. A word of caution...do not drape a tarp all the way to the ground. I did that once and, when I removed the tarp, the tractor was covered completely in condensation. Every surface. I use the smaller tarp now and it allows enough air movement to prevent condensation. You can find the same kind of billboard tarp on-line at places which recycle the billboards into various sized tarps - Google 'billboard tarps'. Before finding the billboard tarps, I was using regular tarps and the sun and rain killed them after about 3-4 months. Have been using the same billboard tarp for about a year and a half now and it still has a lot of life left. Can still read the Wendy's ad on one side of the tarp.

/ Tractor Cover #17  
The muffler on Rusty will just slip off and on so when tarping for a long period I take off the muffler for a better fit. I need to look at the 265 MF that I have it on tight. The 1966 3000 diesel has the factory downdraft exhaust like the ones out of the 50's.

Air flow is key for sure.

Like they are calling for up to 6" of rain this weekend so I have at least the dashes and seats covered. I have another transmission top shifter plate that should not let in rain around the shifters for Rusty I hope to get to soon but with the 4th of July coming up soon it may be next year now. :)

/ Tractor Cover #18  
I use Shelter Logic SUV 12x20 portable garages that someone mentioned earlier. They will suffice until I can get a building built. I paid about $500-600 for each one at Northern Tool with discounts.

/ Tractor Cover #19  
Tractor 5-06_1.JPG
When I first got our 8N tractor I quickly discover here in the humid southeast that things rust sweating under a tarp so we cobbled together some lightweight sheet metal roofing panels and laid it over the old swing set to park under. It kept the rain and snow off. Then I ran across a place selling 18x20 carport covers installed for $600. All I needed was to provide a level spot to install it on. I decided to build a cement pad, just so I would have a decent place to work on projects.
View attachment carport.BMP
A few years later when we had to remove our above ground swimming pool, I used the sheet metal ring to make sides to the the carport cover. The added benefit to the new sides was I now get a nice breeze that blows thru there most of the time and more storage protected space on the sides.
new sides.JPG