Tractor died, slow blow fuse blown... what to look for?

/ Tractor died, slow blow fuse blown... what to look for? #21  
This is what I was trying to ask in post 5. It does seem that the fused wire is what supplies the fuse box, ign switch, and most everything else. The starter is not causing this.
Maybe if fuse only blows when start switch (key) is moved into "start" position....

/ Tractor died, slow blow fuse blown... what to look for?
OK.
I wanted to compare workings of the old started vs the new broken one.
First thing i did was applied votages to the wires and it seemed that the old one was working fine. I don't remember the issue but it could be that it didn't have enough power to get her going.

I then did the same to the current solenoid and the gear jumped forward so i am guessing the solenoid is fine. I then applied power to the starter motor and even though it ran, the connecter and post glowed red after a second, so the problem is the motor.

I then had the big idea to swap the motors but it popped out from the magnets (?) at the base which are spring loaded and i couldn't think of an easy way to hold them back when sliding the winding back in.

I have decided the easiest things is to get a new starter!
Thanks for your responses!

/ Tractor died, slow blow fuse blown... what to look for? #23  
You can try to wrap a piece of notebook paper around to hold
them in???

willy

OK... I ended up buying a replacement starter but it took a few days to get here and i am embarassed to say that i forgout which wires connect to where! (I know, idiot didn't take a photo either)

Obviously the wire with the spade connector goes there.
I have two sets of wire, two thin ones that connect together cause i was smart enough to tie them together, and the battery cable.
The wiring diagram shows all three wire going to one connection "B"... it doesnt show 3 connections. so does it matter if i put all 3 wires on one post?

I have two posts to connect to. one is connect with a grounding strap to the starter motor.

OK, as i look at the connections and the wiring diagram heres what i think... the two wires i tied together really were together, but so wasn't the power (+), but i was an idiot because all three should be tied together. The post to ground should only have the ground strap to it?

SO the red/white wire and the white wire all tie together to the battery wire on one post?

Sound right?? I am not a mechanical guy so i just want to confirm. It just seems odd the that gound post was so long and that there's only the ground strap on it.

Thanks for your help!!

/ Tractor died, slow blow fuse blown... what to look for? #25  
Ground strap???? You mean the big flexible power lead going from the solenoid to the starter motor? Leave that alone. More than likely you have the wire that activates the solenoid (spade) and the power post. The power post would have the positive battery cable and any aux power wires come off of it. Those smaller wires may power the main switch and fuse box.

This is what I was trying to ask in post 5. It does seem that the fused wire is what supplies the fuse box, ign switch, and most everything else. The starter is not causing this.
Ugh! Well i have a new starter anyway, and i'll replace it and see if the fuse still blows.
Maybe if fuse only blows when start switch (key) is moved into "start" position....
Yes, the fuse blows when is start position. I also removed the starter and tested with a separate battery. when i applied power to the motor the connection glows red, which is why it's good to have a fuse in that ckt.!!
Thanks for your replies!!

Ground strap???? You mean the big flexible power lead going from the solenoid to the starter motor? Leave that alone. More than likely you have the wire that activates the solenoid (spade) and the power post. The power post would have the positive battery cable and any aux power wires come off of it. Those smaller wires may power the main switch and fuse box.
Yes, flexible strap that has zero resistance to the frame, so i guess this is the ground strap.
I am leaning towards (According to the diagram posted earlier) that on the wiring diagram, this trap and post are represented by the ground on the starter motor.
Post "S" is the spade red/yellow wire
Post "B" should have the battery cable, Red/white wire and white white all attached together.

the more i post the more confident i am. I am going to go run out and make the connections, run back and check replies for anyone saying "NO!!!", and then go back and hook up the battery and give her a whirl!

/ Tractor died, slow blow fuse blown... what to look for? #29  
THERE SHOULd BE NO GROUND STRAP ON STARTER...... Starter motor is grounded by its attachment bolts to engine block.....

The mage below is from my GC 1715, only difference is wire colors....

The black/yellow & red wires in image below is really red/white and white wires for your starter - One lead (RW) supplies the Main Switch with 12v through one slow blow fuse, the other lead (W) supplies 12v charge power from alternator to the battery through a slow blow fuse to common connection on starter..

The blue wire in image below is really the red wire on your starter it comes from Main Switch to energise solenoid......

The heavy twisted copper conductor (yellow circle) is not a ground strap, it is the "power lead" from solenoid to actual starter motor (nothing doing there for you to mess with)...

IF you are trying to test starter motor put 12Volts from battery (+) on upper terminal of solenoid, and put ground (-) from battery to starter shell/body, use a jumper wire to jump between upper terminal on starter (12 volts) to "push on " terminal (S) on solenoid, this should activate solenoid and cause starter to spin up if all good...

Attachments

• P1020595.JPG
    P1020595.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
   / Tractor died, slow blow fuse blown... what to look for? #30  
Ugh! Well i have a new starter anyway, and i'll replace it and see if the fuse still blows.

Yes, the fuse blows when is start position. I also removed the starter and tested with a separate battery. when i applied power to the motor the connection glows red, which is why it's good to have a fuse in that ckt.!!
Thanks for your replies!!
That 40a fuse is in the wire that is getting power FROM the starter at the post the pos battery cable is connected to. If it is blowing, something like the glow plugs is causing it.