Tractor Died While Blowing Snow!

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #31  
No, not really. 15k RPM is not that high for these tractors. Its a higher idle, but you defiantly do not want to idle as low as it can go with these DPF filters. They will plug up quick, leading to issues with frequent regens, etc. Its recommended that after a few minutes of absolute idle, you rev it up to about 15K. A diesel engine will run a very long time with no issues at just about any rpm range. I'm not concerned about that at all! I was more after running the 911 stuff through the filter and getting everything all mixed up.

I am also not a fan of diesel additives, oil additives, coolant additives, etc. But cold weather requires them. The engine will handle them just fine. Diesel engines are very robust things that can take a bit of abuse.
Avenger he was just ribbing you a bit.

if you look closely at your tachometer I would bet it is 15 and then there is a
X 100 so 1500 RPM.
15 k is 15000
K is 1000 as a multiplier.
15000 RPM is about what some model airplane 2 stroke glow plug engines run at.
Don't feel bad reminds me of when I posted about welding and used AU as the metal element when I was actually thinking of Aluminum

ps. Speaking of tachs, I cranked up the Rhino to 1900 (PTO RPM) to really move some snow with the new inverted blower, and in this cold it actually Broke the tach needle off inside the meter case. The original cable set up a mean resonance and well I killed my tach.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #32  
Yeah, same here. Its nasty cold out!
I ran out there barefoot (too lazy to put boots on) to start the tractor. Didn't feel like unplugging it and rolling up the cord!
-2 deg, you are a tough man. Wow! Good luck, I hope next week the weather breaks.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #33  
Get or make one of these realy nice engine covers

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #34  
I had that happen the second winter we were here. Took my brand new Ford 1700 out to plow the driveway. It was very cold - I had no type of antijell in the fuel supply. Got 100 yards down the driveway and - clunk. Just as though I turned the key off.

After I determined what was the problem - back to the house, got the generator, got the wife's hair dryer. Half an hour with the hair dryer - back in business. I run Power Service White Jug - yearound now.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #35  
We had -17 below here, farm south of us by 5 miles had -25 below.

Classic jelling. Warming the filter will help un-jell current fuel in the filter and let it start and run.

Add 3/4 or so of a power service 32 oz bottle to the fuel tank. Or if there is room in the tank, cut it with some kerosene as someone elts had mentioned. For a 12 gallon tank on your LS, 3 to 4 gallons should keep things liquid.

For sure change the fuel filter when you can. And when you do, pour the rest of the power service bottle in the new filter and top the filter off with diesel. Or if you do the kerosene trick, fill it with kerosene and install.

I run power service white bottle year round in my fuel. I find it cost effective encountering zero fuel issues twelve months of the year.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #36  
Educate my ignorance...

How much does the winter fuel blend that a service station has vary as a function of temperature? I was always under the impression there were essentially summer, and winter (i.e., only two). Are there more?

I ask as I live in a brutally cold climate. I treat my 5 gallon fuel cans with Stanadyne additive before they go in the tank (dealer recommended brand) at the recommended ratio.

While this winter has been unseasonably warm, I regularly snow blow in temps as low as -10 to -15 F. My tractor is garage kept, and so the air temp is around 20 F on days like that. I let it warm up, and then go clear snow and have never had any problems.

Have I just been lucky clearing snow at those temps to not run into gelling problems?

(I have the same tractor as Avenger)

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #37  
In theory they are blending in more kerosene the colder it gets. Of course during a sudden cold snap, your going to get whatever is in the tanks.

Diesel 911 isn’t the greatest stuff to use on a regular basis, just for emergencies, but it’s obviously better than starving the engine for fuel. I had a fuel filter gel on me once. Looked like hand lotion on the filter but a little thicker, it never did melt. I suspect it was wax that separated out from the diesel.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #38  
My situation. Many years I have to fill my five gallon Jerry cans in Sept or Oct. If the service station DOES have two blends - summer/winter - I will be too early to get winter blend. Therefore - PS White Jug. Just good insurance.

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #39  
I know fuel depo's have there own ideas of how much to 'blend' fuel for winter...

/ Tractor Died While Blowing Snow! #40  
After I determined what was the problem - back to the house, got the generator, got the wife's hair dryer. Half an hour with the hair dryer - back in business. I run Power Service White Jug - yearound now.
I attempted the same when I was a kid in Minnesota and the temperature was -50 deg 🥶 🥶 . After about 5 minutes I came to my senses when I realized that the hair dryer was probably bringing the temperature up to 0 deg. I was going to freeze to death and the tractor would still be froze up. So I left it there until the weather broke.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: