Tractor for mountain property

/ Tractor for mountain property #31  
The dealer put rear spacers on my Branson and I had them mount the smallest diameter of the three tire/wheel packages available for 20/25 series Bransons. That lowers the CG vs the package it came with, and makes it more stable on slopes, at the cost of lower ground clearance and slightly slower speed. For me the stability was worth the tradeoffs. Our land is steep. Between slopes and trees/brush there's only limited places I can operate a tractor. No long runs in any direction.

For me HST is the way to go. It makes changing speed while running a PTO implement easy. My mowing involves a lot of speed changes, turns and backing up. That's be a pain on a clutch tractor. HST's also just easier to drive in general. I'm very comfortable with manual transmissions and clutches on various two and wheeled vehicles for the last 40 years but it doesn't bother me to get a non clutch transmission when it's a better fit for the tasks at hand.

I've seen similar size Mahindra tractors set up like this at Dave's Tractors in Red Bluff, CA (where I bought my new 2008 Mahindra 5525). It makes a nice package for working on hills and also for working in the local orchards.

/ Tractor for mountain property #32  
For me HST is the way to go. It makes changing speed while running a PTO implement easy. My mowing involves a lot of speed changes, turns and backing up. That's be a pain on a clutch tractor. HST's also just easier to drive in general.

HST wasn't available on the Kioti DK45 when I got mine in 2006, but I wish it had been. While HST would be handy for loader work, which is a sizeable part of my useage, snowblowing is where I would really benefit the most. Shifting gears while steering, operating (manually) forward/reverse shuttle and the blower controls makes me feel like a one-armed paper hanger. Eliminating all the shifting issues would greatly simplify that operation...and would help a lot in loader work, too.
There are some jobs where I can operate the gear tractor at lower RPM than I would have to do in an HST, but since I don't do a lot of field, ground-contact work, I'd be willing to sacrifice some fuel efficiency for the advantages an HST would provide.

/ Tractor for mountain property #33  
When I need a fail safe parking brake I lower the FEL bucket to contact the ground.

Good Afternoon Jeff,
Lowering the FEL might be fine as a brake in Florida, but I do not think it is appropriate advice for some one that lives in hilly or mountain areas !
In know I would not trust it on my property ! ;)

Attachments

• 000_0036.JPG
    000_0036.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 112
   / Tractor for mountain property #34  
Good Afternoon Jeff,
Lowering the FEL might be fine as a brake in Florida, but I do not think it is appropriate advice for some one that lives in hilly or mountain areas !
In know I would not trust it on my property ! ;)
If you angle the bucket just right and apply enough down pressure, that tractor is not going anywhere. I trust a loader stop just as much or more the brake.

/ Tractor for mountain property #35  
I've seen similar size Mahindra tractors set up like this at Dave's Tractors in Red Bluff, CA (where I bought my new 2008 Mahindra 5525). It makes a nice package for working on hills and also for working in the local orchards.

I bought my Branson from Daves. When I test drove a Mahindra 2538 I remarked that I liked that the driver's position was a lot lower than the Branson and Dave said that most people like being higher up.

/ Tractor for mountain property #36  
If you angle the bucket just right and apply enough down pressure, that tractor is not going anywhere. I trust a loader stop just as much or more the brake.

Good Afternoon Phillip,
In most applications I would agree, but if you are going up a steep hill I would also use the manual brake also, JMO !;)
On the steep section of my drive, no way would I just trust my bucket, especially if it takes a second to set the brake, or better yet, stop the
tractor and leave it in gear !

/ Tractor for mountain property #37  
With an HST, if you don't set the brake, but leave the HST in it's lowest/slowest/Turtle position the hydraulic pressure will hold it on a decent slope. Setting the brake is proper belt and suspenders method. Even if the service brake failed, the HST 'may' move, but it would be so slow as to be noticeable and catchable.

/ Tractor for mountain property #38  
I tried that in range 2 the other day. My Branson will move slowly (and make an unpleasant noise) on a moderate slope with no brake and the engine off. But this is something I've never done in practice. I always set the brake when on pavement, and also lower the loader and the implement on dirt or steep pavement. It's not hard to do.

I haven't tried with a geared tractor but I have had other vehicles move when stopped on a slope in gear. Compression can leak past the rings slowly. I wouldn't do something like unhitch an implement while on a slope with just the engine holding the tractor.

/ Tractor for mountain property #39  
If a FEL bucket is used to carry saws, fuel, chains etc., etc...and you need to stop on a really muddy, steep hill...nobody wants to dump the bucket in the mud to use it as a brake...
With a complete loss of power descending a steep grade...just brakes alone can break traction...with 4x4 gear drive at least you have some control unlike a HST machine...

/ Tractor for mountain property #40  
If you loose engine power on a hydrostatic driven machine you loose oil pressure and on larger equipment they stop and become unmoveble.