Tractor for paraplegic

/ Tractor for paraplegic #11  
Patrick:

Hst would most likely be the easiest. A lever for activating and controling the Hst should not be hard to devise. The existing cruise control could be repaced by a notched device on the control lever. All on one lever for ease of use. Just like the throttle lever on tractors of old. Brakes could be on a lever also with a notched device for locking on. Many of the old tractors had brake/clutch levers instead of foot pedals.
Some thought could also be given to electronic control but this would be much more expensive.
Perhaps a pull type shut down for emergency use may also be an idea.

Now if it could all be tied together on one stick for steering and speed with twist for braking and buttons for setting brake and cruise. Could be a combination of mechanical lever connections and electronic operated solenoids for locking positions with gear drive electric motor for braking. This would allow one hand tractor operation and the other hand for attachment operation.

There are definetly some fellows here that have the ability to do this type of design.

Egon

/ Tractor for paraplegic
Egon, I could prototype a "Tractor by wire" system BUT I think the KISS principle should be adhered to in this instance lest Murphy arise and smite us. Maintenance would be far easier to come by for a simple mechanical system than an electronic one off design. Most (all really) tractor maintenance operations that I have seen around here would definitely have problems with digital electronics controlling stepping motors even if I didn't use a u-processor and any code.

Actually, it remains to be seen how serious this lad is. I offered to give him a walk through and demo with my tractor and to accompany him to MY dealer and he seemed really enthused BUT no response yet.

I am familliar with the mechanically racheting control levers you describe and they could have use in this application. As far as the "cruise control" is concerned, rather than duplicate it,just use it as is. It acts between the foot pedal and tranny so in the modified version it would act between the hand control and tranny. It should work fine as is and the control isn't too tough to reach under the steering pedestal. If for any reason its function or convenience is not satisfactory it could be reworked along the lines of what you describe.

Standing by,

Patrick

/ Tractor for paraplegic #13  
Dr Dan,
I will join the others in asking for photos and maybe more information about your setup. I travel from the Knoxville TN area to the Dayton OH area to visit my brother every now and then; if you're not too far from there I wouldn't mind taking a personal look at your setup one day.

I have a very close friend (used to be the music minister at my church) that is able to drive a van with hand-controls and I suspect that he would enjoy the prospect of driving a tractor on his 6 acres. He drives his van from his wheel chair but I'm pretty sure that he can accomplish the required transfer to the tractor seat with the right equipment.

Again, thanks for your inputs,
Kelvin

/ Tractor for paraplegic #14  
Shifty, I second your opinion. Mr Steve Carver has been excellent to deal with and the web site even asks if any special handicaps need to be addressed. Carvers was not only a great place to deal with, they also had a price that was unbeatable where I live.

/ Tractor for paraplegic #15  
Patrickg,

Try the following sites below for your friend. I don't know how many States are on-line but these are just a few I visited before I bought my tractor. I have a very small disibility compared to your friend but until the 4000 series JD tractors came out a 48hp tractor was out of my physical abilities (reach):) Also talk to your local University or call 202-347-3066 the National Easter Seal Society ref. the Agrability Project.

http://bse.wisc.edu/agrability/

http://www.uvm.edu/farmfamily/agrability.html

Hope this helps,
David

/ Tractor for paraplegic
DSGSR David, thanks for the URL's I'll check them out. The guy I'm trying to help isn't online so he misses out on a lot of info.

Patrick

/ Tractor for paraplegic #17  
Patrick,

Check out this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=custom&Number=159302&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=>thread</A> on the subject. I hope it helps. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tractor for paraplegic #18  
Hi just thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in here also. I was the originator of the previous post reference. Have him call Hubert at 800-543-3740. Hubert has lost the use of his legs and really looks at things from a different view than anyone else. He knows where you are comming from before you even speak to him. Having been in a chair for 4 years I was truly amazed that I had not thought of many of the things Hubert takes for advantage and has "dreamed up" solutions for. Hubert has only one down side that I could detect from our two hour meeting and thats getting a little peeved when people say they can't do something because of a limitation. In his mind anything that can be dreamed can be done. More than that he lives it and does not give stock un-do-able recommendations everything he says he can do and he probably has done previously with pictures to prove it. OK I guess I am really pimping for him but damm I was just so impressed when I seen his operation and more importantly his accomplishments. I have been looking for a tractor for about 6 months now and bought one today after visiting him yesterday to make sure I could get what I wanted. Hubert is going to design and build a lift for me in the next few weeks. I will be more than happy to email my pictures to you or anyone else interested. In the mean time check him out at www.life-essentials.net. Anything from go-carts to combines and more he has done and more importantly has proof. Did I mention that he has his own machine shop complete with all the toys lazer cutters, mills, lathes etc? This boy is good.

/ Tractor for paraplegic #19  
What do you find strange about a guy who can't walk, buying a lake? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

/ Tractor for paraplegic #20  
Well Slam I guess when you think about it, its not the best move. I am having to hire someone to do about all the things around my lake (except fishing it). Its just alot better suited for ablebodied people. It takes me a good 15 minutes to get to a drain and clean it. It takes my wife or kid less than a minute to do the same thing. Considering I own one I guess nothing to answer your question. I also take it from your response you are limited or know someone who is. I am currently pimping for Hubert at www.life-essentials.com. I am having him make a hoist for my tractor (just bought me a Bota L series) anyway I met him yesterday and am really impressed by his work. He can get anyone anywhere on any type of equipment. He even makes and sells his own scooters and to be really honest it does not look like much but when you see what it can do you would be impressed. About the only way to describe it is a Battle Bot with a seat. Anyway if you or someone you know is limited in physical abilities you owe it to yourself or them to check out Hubert. The guy is 65 and has not had use of his legs for many years and still runs a full machine shop. And smart in the engineering and designing department I cannot even begin to describe him. This guy is really good. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at maker@soon.com. Happy tractoring!!!