Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more)

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #1  

mason156

Tractor
Kubota L4600
I am a nubie who would appreciate help in selecting a tractor. This is not so much a brand question (although I am sure it may come to that). This has to do with the fact that I really don't have a lot of experience with tractors and I'd like to make as informed a decision as possible. The first question is really a size issue.

Here's my situation;
1. I live on 130+ acres in Connecticut. About 100 of it is forest, about 4 of it is lawn or semi-lawn, and the rest are hay fields. The hay fields are cut by the dairy farmer down the street. The land is hilly in spots, but there are no slopes of more than about 20 degrees. It's wet in a few spots, but not all over. There's plenty of field stone and rocks around (it is CT) but it is not too rocky. The farm produces nothing but tax bills and appetites.
2. I heat with wood and so will my mother in law, so we will move about 12-15 cords per year. I have one main access path cut into the woods, and may want to add another. The access road is cut ~12 feet wide.
3. My wife is a "big-time" gardener/landscaper with big ideas for planting trees, moving tons of mulch, building rock walls etc. She has started an orchard.
4. When we complete work on my mother-in-laws house, we will have a 400' road to plow in winter.
5. I am a physicist - what I want to imply by saying that is that I know VERY LITTLE about heavy equipment, tractors, etc. But I can learn. I also know enough to know that just reading spec sheets is not going to help me. There are a lot of hard lessons that I learned over the last 4 years (that's when we "bought the farm") and I would appreciate any help you can offer.
6. I would put my budget at about $30k. Even though I have projects to do right now, I am in no rush to buy. I am very patient and don't want to rush in with a lot of $ and very little understanding,

Here's what I am thinking;
1. I'd like to buy new. I don't know enough to spot a problem with used and a warranty would be a good thing.
2. I'd like to buy once rather than buy something small and trade up in a few years. I am thinking one tractor could last me pretty much a lifetime (I'm 37).
3. I wouldn't use the tractor as a finish mower. Eventually I would like a FEL, a BH, a Big chipper, and a bush-hog.

I think I'm looking at a 40-45 HP CUT. Is that in the right ballpark? Is buying new the right choice? Any advantage to starting small and then moving up?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I'm looking at a 40-45 HP CUT. Is that in the right ballpark? )</font>

In my opinion, yes, assuming you do not intend to start baling hay yourself.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is buying new the right choice? )</font>

Yes, unless you find a real bargain in a relatively new one. However, you may find you can buy an older, bigger tractor cheaper, and quite possibly cheap enough that even if you have to pay for some repairs, you'd be ahead.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any advantage to starting small and then moving up? )</font>

In my opinion, no, at least if you're talking about buying new because you'd just be taking the depreciation on the smaller one before moving up.

You just need to visit different dealers, drive some of their tractors, see which ones "feel" best to you, which dealers you would prefer dealing with, and also consider the used ones they have to get a feel for the amount of depreciation you could expect. I would most definitely get the front end loader initially. You might wait on the other implements, if necessary, but may get a better "package deal" if you get it all at the same time.

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #3  
Welcome Steve

Some thoughts/comments for you. You say you have 130 acres. Is the farmer going to continue working the property? I guess if you plan on staying there for a while then I'll figure you need something big enough to handle that.

Being new and unfamiliar with tractors go new. The piece of mind is worth it.

Is the driveway paved or not? A snowblower may or may not be a good option. Does snow come into the picture there? Plow trucks and blowers are a toss up.

Anything above 35hp will do you fine. FEL has almost endless options for what you mention your doing. BH is a bonus if you can put it in your budget. And the Hog is a good choice also.

All the big mfg make tractors in this class. It comes down to test driving, availability for a dealer near you, service ect....

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #4  
Steve

I am a physicist like yourself but retired. I have the advantage that I have owned and worked with mechanical equipment for close to 40 years. My feeling is that if you buy new and are careful with the maintanence, you should get a minimum of 20 years good service from one of the major brands. I just purchased a new Kubota L3130 for my 30 acres so am a little focus on that brand. I would suggest that you look at the Kubota Grand L series to get an idea of the size and features you should be lookin for. You will get a lot of good general suggestions and also brand specific words. You are experienced in problem analysis so apply the same techniques here. Join this forum, read the posts, ask specific questions and you will get all the info and opinions you could ask for.

First off, define what you expect to achieve with a tractor; what you expect your farm to look like 10 years from now. That will help you determine tractor size and options you need.

Good Luck
Vernon

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #5  
Being you are a beginner I would really recommend the HST transmission. It is the easiest to use with the shortest learning curve. Also, it is best to get things like the FEL when you buy as these will probably cost more later. When using a FEL rear ballast is required. A heavy implement, weight on the 3-point hitch, wheel weights, or liquid filled tires are all possibilities for ballast.

A 40+ hp tractor sounds right to me. John Deere just introduced their new 4000 Twenty series. You should read the review on the TBN homepage. You could also consider the New Holland TC40 & TC45 (or the CaseIH twin DX40 & DX45 Farmalls). Kioti has larger models in the 40+ hp class, but are not offered in hydro. The DK series are Kioti's larger models. The Kubota Grand L30 series are offered in 40+ hp. They come in hydro or gear.

John Deere 4000 Twenty

CaseIH Farmall tractors

New Holland Boomer

Kubota Grand L30

Kioti DK Series

Good luck in your search! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #6  
In MHO I would consider a utility size tractor.

some Issues would call for that size like creating another road, keeping it for a long time I.E. not outgrowing it , Not mowing lawn with it , All the firewood. For example you could easily drag logs to the house and then cut with good access through the woods. A backhoe later I would imagine would be useful in maintaining the woods and you would want a pretty good sized unit.

In fact that much acreage could easily justify a utility. The budget amount would get you that size in 4WD with loader .

Try to consider your biggest jobs and your smallest jobs and determine the one you would like to tackle with your purchase most often.

From my own experience as the acreage moves up so does the tractor size.

Good luck I have owned 4 tractors and it is still a tough decision. but bigger has always turned out better for me

John

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #7  
I agree with Birds post, and I'll add my own .02

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am a physicist - what I want to imply by saying that is that I know VERY LITTLE about heavy equipment )</font>

Whether you know it or not.. I thin you'll be ahead of the game. Though technical thinking is not a pre-requsite for owning a tractor.. it ~never~ hurts. My Engineering background has served me well with my tractor experience.

So like I said.. a background in physics should get you a little farther than say.. skills in advanced donut making, when deciding why something does or does not work when you turn the key on. ( no offense to those wonderfull donut people out there, whom I help support very often.. ).

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think I'm looking at a 40-45 HP CUT. Is that in the right ballpark? Is buying new the right choice? Any advantage to starting small and then moving up?
)</font>

I would guess 40-45 minimum. You never know when more of that land may be cleared. And say down the line.. in 15 years and you are mowing 80 acers.. it will be nice if you can pull a mower bigger than 7'-8' ( if that is ever in your future.. or even haying. etc. ).

Don't buy new just to trade up later.. if you forsee the trade up.. no cost benefit there...Buying used can be the way to go if you can get a deal. Say a nearly new machine being sold back at the original dealership after the previous owner traded it back in for a bigger or smaller model.. say something with warranty still left.. but a ding or dent here and there enough to knock some serious bucks of the price.

Experience with tractors will grow on you with use. 10 years ago I knew nothing about tractors... I'm refurbishing antique ones now as a hobby, in addation to doing work on my small farm with a modern tractor.

Other options are to get an older used cheap BIG tractor.. and then spend your bufget on a bulldog mid size tractor.

For instance.. used ford 8000's and case 1xxx series tractors are in the 4000-5000$ range.. and these are in the 100hp range. Only consider this option if you are looking forward to occasional dirty grease hands. If the idea of turnig a wrench doesn't sound right.. just get new. With your budget amount in mind.. a NH tc48 and a trailer load of toys is easilly attainable.

I myself just got a great deal on a two year old NH 7610s.. great 90hp tractor for real decent money... probably cheaper than a tc45.. but only has a few months of warranty left. too.. so you have to weigh all your options.. and then.. start test driving... and test driving.. and test driving..

good luck

Soundguy

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #8  
What caught my attention was 100 acres of bush with a 12' access road. I have 75 with a 12' access lane. But it depends what you want to do with the tractor!
To me the most important consideration is what you intend to do with the tractor in the woods. Do you plan to fell and skid trees to a clearing, or do you prefer to cut and split it where it falls, and pull it out in a trailer? Do you want large wide access roads, or a network of smaller paths? You mention wet spots - are you going to stay out of them, or wade on through? Are you going to build real roads, leveled and graded, or have grassed paths?

Given that you aren't cutting grass, or cutting/baling hay, I think you're in the right ballpark with a 40-45 HP CUT, assuming wider trails and some skidding. My JD 855 works for me, but I prefer narrow paths and cutting where it falls, rather than "logging" . Either way - you need a loader - for trail making, for carrying wood, for counterbalance for the bush-hog. And 4wd. I'd also recomend Hydro, especially for loader work, but might not be needed in your case. Again would depend on your planned uses.

Every brand has good tractors for your needs. I'm partial to Deere, but I'd recommend you try them all and pick the one with the best fit, price and dealer for your needs. A good dealer should be willing to let you try a used one on your lot over a weekend if they have one available. That would be worthwhile as one trip around your woods will quickly illustrate the size fit to your trails.

In addition to the implements mentioned, you'll most likely want a small trailer for hauling your firewood back to the house. And if you plan to do any digging at all, a backhoe up front is highly recommended. You might not use it too often, but when you do you'll really appreciate it.

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more)
ByronBob,

The farmer will continue to work the fields for the forseeable future. I don't know what will happen when he can no longer farm. I don't see his family members lining up to be dairy farmers.

Most of the 400' road is gravel. We do have quite a bit of snow some winters.

Also, as a question to all, what about something like the John Deere 110 TLB? It is primarily a loader and backhoe, but it does have a 3 pt hitch. Is this something to look at? I will also following Convert's advice and look more closely at the smaller utility tractors to compare against a large CUT.

This is a great site.

Steve

/ Tractor for the 100-acre woods (and more) #10  
So far all GREAT advice:

I'm going to go a step farther for you and say this first:

TAXES YUCKY BAD here is a bit of help

Since the Open land is maintained my local farmer then that is all well and good taken care off? he pulls the hay which should keep the Taxes down on the entire property or bare min that acreage: Now for the woods, get in contact with the local DNR (dept of natural resources) in you're county/state. get a DNR PLAN made up on how best to manage the 100 +/-acres of woods, (Lumber is sky high right now and is a good time to Sell good standing logs/trees.) this will qualify the land as AG and should cut you're tax bills back in half with CAUV "Farm Rate Taxes" not unemproved taxes which is what it sounds like you are paying now. this will help free up some $ for the tractor and better yet give you a BIG tax break when you buy the equipment!!! and at TAX time for BUYING/CAPATIAL EQUIPMENT purchace!

much of this can be now deducted as a one time deduction rather than long term deperation!!! so you can see a big cash back come next year!!!

maybe you're state is a bit different but federally we all have the same taxes there!

Now for the tractor advice:

I tend to agree with everyone above too. here is what I've learned with my experaince from working with wooded land and tractors

while my situation is scaled down a bit I belive it will fit with you're situation too.

I would say the 35~45 HP 4 wheel drive is probably plenty of tractor. get a FEL (Front End Loader) NOW with the tractor and also figure in a few extras like a Box Blade, and Rotary Mower (brush hog), also if not already got a good wood splitter.

The BIG tractors have hard time navigating the woods, (which you will see a lot of seat time in cutting 15 cord a year)

I would consider getting a good Brush Chipper with purchace if possable and price is still within budget, last thing would be a backhoe attachment. great for pulling rocks and maintaining the rock walls ect. If Wife is a big time gardner then a rototiller is also needed, dependinhg on size a 3pt can be had for 1000~1500 5' and or a good walk behind 750~1200.00

as far as brands go, the big three will give yoou all you need and can use but PRICE is higher, since you are NEW I would stick to HYDROSTAT trans too like others suggested. also consider HOW you will get the tractor TO and FROM dealers for support, maintenance ect. here the individual dealer will be the major factor in buying as some (regardless of color) will go the extra distance... Locally there is a AGRO dealer who is great, the KUB dealer and the JD dealer's are not very helpfull. so again dealer support is KING when you are not all that familiar with tractors and the link. also call ahead and get pricing FIRST, a lot can be determined from a phone call, ask about sales, support and what kind of equipment they have. see abbout NEW and USED (fish for as much info as possabel) spend a week making calls to as many dealers as you can get to with in 50 +/- miles and get a feel for each, then start visiting each one keep a list and check it twice. try and talk to owners as well as sales men. you may be supprized to find some owners are only cash backers, those are places to stay away form as they usually come down to $ not service...

well anyhow hope that helps you some.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif