tractor hacking - JD's

/ tractor hacking - JD's #2  
Deere's stance on this is the primary reason I did not consider a Deere for my recent new tractor purchase, even though they're the closest dealer.

/ tractor hacking - JD's #3  
Is that service philosophy a trend with the other big ag tractor makers too? Or, it is something that JD is doing on their own?? Seems to me like its a way to cut your own throat by alienating the customer base that buys the high dollar equipment.

/ tractor hacking - JD's #4  
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. The American farmer will ALWAYS find a way to work on or fix his own equipment, with or without the manufacturers help.

/ tractor hacking - JD's #5  
Oh Jees... not this CRAP gain! We went through this last year, at about the same time too.

Short story = All tractor manufacturers (attention ericm979) do this... the only reason JD is being singled out is that it is the only US manufacturer, all of the rest are foreign (Head Office) based = silence/don't-give-a-d@mn.

If you want to muck around with your JD's electronics they (JD) are more than happy to sell you the diagnostic equipment/programe... just like they do to an independent mechanic. It's no different than what the car manufacturers do regarding non-OEM vehicle service companies or a local mechanic.

/ tractor hacking - JD's #6  
Oh Jees... not this CRAP gain! We went through this last year, at about the same time too.

Short story = All tractor manufacturers (attention ericm979) do this... the only reason JD is being singled out is that it is the only US manufacturer, all of the rest are foreign (Head Office) based = silence/don't-give-a-d@mn.

If you want to muck around with your JD's electronics they (JD) are more than happy to sell you the diagnostic equipment/programe... just like they do to an independent mechanic. It's no different than what the car manufacturers do regarding non-OEM vehicle service companies or a local mechanic.

But you don't have to "authorize" parts from a car manufacturer in order to be able to use the vehicle again.

/ tractor hacking - JD's #7  
But you don't have to "authorize" parts from a car manufacturer in order to be able to use the vehicle again.

Because car manufacturers outsource their/those parts to smaller independent suppliers, therefore they're available for purchase on their own. You can buy OEM or direct from the supplier. (my 4105 has a YANMAR donk... I can buy JD badged filters or locally stocked equivalent from an auto-parts shop)

According to your avatar list, you've got a fine collection of tractors... have you ever required a computer diagnostic programme/equipment to adjust or tweak your rigs?

/ tractor hacking - JD's #8  
I just posted the link elsewhere before seeing it here..

/ tractor hacking - JD's #9  
I just read the entire posted "article". And it's a follow-up on the sensationalised, mud-flinging article from this time last year.

They only talked with John Deere. There is one portion of a sentence that says they asked 'other' tractor manufacturers... no further response or comment.

There is no mention or quote from any other tractor manufacturer or supplier regarding this matter whether in the positive or negative. Why is that? Do all of the other tractor manufacturers freely allow "American" farmers to modify their computer code or did they politely tell the author of this "article" to 'go pound sand'?

The silence is deafening.

Have a look through the plethora of threads and posts here on TBN... has anyone encountered this programming/modification problem, from any of the tractor manufacturing colours.

This is nothing more than a 'stir the pot', 'click bait' piece of scaremongering yellow journalism.

/ tractor hacking - JD's
i saw the article and posted it because i thought it may be useful or helpful to someone. no hidden agenda implied.