Tractor Insurance

/ Tractor Insurance #21  
My tractor is covered under my homeowners. I always check rates every couple of years to keep them honest. Have been with State Farm and Safeco for autos/residence. Had Progressive for autos for several years until they hiked their rates for unknown reasons. Still with Safeco.

/ Tractor Insurance #22  
I had State Farm for a long time and I thought they were getting a little pricey,So I went shopping and found I could do better with an independent dealer so I switched the house,3 cars 2 farm trucks 2 motorcycle's and 2 farm tractors this was fine for 2 years came time for renewal and I noticed my inland marine policy was not on the yearly invoice so I called the person that sold me the policy and asked him if they had made a mistake in the billing.He informed me that the ins.carrier for the inland policy had gone under 8 months ago I was never notified and was travelling the roads doing haying in 4 towns putting on about 150 miles without insurance in that time frame.
I told him to take his insurance and put it (you know where) and went back to State Farm so watch out where you get your inland policy from!

/ Tractor Insurance #23  
I am with Farm Bureau. My premium is 1% of value. My tractor cost me $8950 so my insurance cost $89.50.

Don

/ Tractor Insurance #24  
Mine is covered under my homeowners while on my property. If in transit it's covered under my auto policy.

/ Tractor Insurance #25  
RPW,
I would ask your agent to put that in writing. Most auto policies will only cover liability on any attached unit (trailer, tractor, etc.). In other words, if your tractor gets loose and causes damages/injury, your auto policy will cover the other party's damage/injury but not the damage to your tractor.

Norm

/ Tractor Insurance #27  
RPW,
I would ask your agent to put that in writing. Most auto policies will only cover liability on any attached unit (trailer, tractor, etc.). In other words, if your tractor gets loose and causes damages/injury, your auto policy will cover the other party's damage/injury but not the damage to your tractor.

Norm

That is exactly what my agent told me. I added a rider policy for $109.00 that covers the tractor anytime its away from home including theft.

/ Tractor Insurance #28  
you may have coverage during transit with your car/truck insurance.

/ Tractor Insurance #30  
BTW the company I have is WAYNE COOPERATIVE INSURANCE, in Clyde NY, I believe its a farmers coop. company.
So get covered, even if you don't plan to use it off your property, get protected.
Ah, Wayne Coop, have you had a claim with them??

Back in 1995 my parents had 5 outbuildings burn to the ground (including Dad's shop full of tools that he had collected since he was a teenager) and Wayne Coop fought tooth and nail to not have to pay the claim. "Why did you have 8 pairs of vise grips?" (in a shop) was typical of the objections they had to the claim. Then they claimed that we were making up things (like the snowblower for the bolens tractor, the remains of which were clearly visible) or the horse drawn grain drill (the remains of which were also clearly visible)

IIRC they paid about 1/2 of the replacement cost of what was lost (on a "replacement cost" policy), the state ins comission wouldn't do anything "because there were disputes as to whether or not everything we claimed was actually lost in the fire".

This is after Mom and Dad made a spreadsheet with everything that was lost and the replacement cost (including sources to replace them).

There was another person we know in Butler who had his shop burn down about a month before ours did and he got the same BS from them (and also got about half of the replacement cost from his "replacement cost" policy).

YMMV (and they may have changed since 1995/1996) but that was my parents experience with them.

Aaron Z