tractor life span?

/ tractor life span? #21  
I was wondering about the JD 430 which uses a watercooled Yanmar diesed similar to that used in the older JD compacts. It may be the same engine. The guy at the dealer seemed to be saying that the 430 wouldn't last as long as the compacts although I know there are many 430s out there still working.

Chris

/ tractor life span? #22  
Its kind of nice to think that if you take care of your compact tractor it may be there for your kids to use after you are gone. I hope they take good care of it.

Chris

/ tractor life span? #23  
When compairing tractor hours to vehicle hours, remember that a tractor counts hours at rated RPMs, which might be compaired to a vehicle at 50 mph. Counting total hours as is typically done on a vehicle will overestimate the "use" of thew engine.

If we accept this figure, look at the following
2k=100,000 miles (end of commerical life for a passanger car)
4k=200,000 miles (pretty close to a worn out car, probally end of commerical life for a light diesel)
6k=300,000 miles (worn out light duty diesel, end of commerical life for heavy duty diesel, (ie OTR truck).

6k is a figure I have heard as a typical end of life for large tractors used in production agriculture. After this they may be used as backup machines.

Pat

/ tractor life span? #24  
Right you are Chris. Maybe even the grandkids. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ tractor life span?
<font color=blue>...It had almost 11k on the clock...</font color=blue>

A few summers ago, we rebuilt {bottom-end only} my Perkins 152 cid on my old Massey... it had just turned the clock and was starting over @ 980 hrs... plus the first 9,999 hrs... /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

The ag mechanics I've spoken to indicate 8-10k hrs is about average... and 12-13k is not uncommon- but usually you work on hydraulics and brakes and tie rods and tires a couple times before you get to the engine... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The older utility tractors usually run around 1600-1800 rpm day in and day out versus today's BX screaming @ 3200 rpm or a typical lawn mower engine @ 3600 rpm...

So which do you think will last longer...?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ tractor life span? #26  
USAF schedules the lube, oil, filter changes for tractors at every 6 months or 400 hours. Annual preventive maintenance is 12 months or 1200 hours. So unless you're running your tractor with no lubricant in the rear end, racing at high speed down boulder strewn creek beds, or popping th clutch and yanking on heavy loads, there's absolutely no reason for it to have failed when it did.

Now the USAF rides tractors hard and puts them away wet. Usually they have 2 or 3 users a day in civil engineering squadrons doing normal tractor use in road and grounds. 6 to a dozen users per day if they are being used on the flightline towing equipment. So the life expectancy of their tractors is 15 years maximum if I remember from AF TO 36a-1-1301.

/ tractor life span? #27  
This has nothing to do with the OP question of what the realistic life span of a compact tractor is, just a little FYI....I own 3 John Deere tractors I keep on a friends acreage. One is a "70" and one is an "R" and the last is a "3010" with a 148 FEL. The hour meters long ago quit working so it's anybody's guess as to actual hours on them. The 3010 is the newest of the bunch as they were made from 1961 to 1963. 70s were made from 1953 to 1956 and Rs were made from 1949 to 1954. They needed some tender loving care when I bought them, but together, my friend and I got them running and running well and he uses them all for various work. The R is tremendously economical to run and the 3010 is still one of the nicer tractors to drive. These tractors have LOTS of hours on them and their biggest downfall was the lack of proper maintenance that was done on them by previous owners. Little problems can become big problems, eh? These tractors were built when quality wasn't just a buzz word and by many of todays manufactures standards,they were over built as far as strength of the castings, etc, goes. I have no doubt these old beasts will run for DOZENS of years more with a little maintenance. My buddy has 3 old "D" tractors and 2 run... one is a 1929 model and the other one actually is quite usable!(but it is a gas hog!) Like I said, just a little FYI for you.

/ tractor life span? #28  
Our church has a 1980 model Allis Chalmers. It is a 5020 compact diesel used to mow the grounds with. She currently has 2500 hours on it and the engine has never been touched. I think that these models were made for Allis by Hinomoto. TractorData lists Toyosha as the engine manufacturer. I feel very confident that the tractor has many more years of service left in her. She has worn out two belly mowers in the process and currently we pull a 6' RFM with her.

/ tractor life span? #29  
USAF schedules the lube, oil, filter changes for tractors at every 6 months or 400 hours. Annual preventive maintenance is 12 months or 1200 hours. So unless you're running your tractor with no lubricant in the rear end, racing at high speed down boulder strewn creek beds, or popping th clutch and yanking on heavy loads, there's absolutely no reason for it to have failed when it did.

Now the USAF rides tractors hard and puts them away wet. Usually they have 2 or 3 users a day in civil engineering squadrons doing normal tractor use in road and grounds. 6 to a dozen users per day if they are being used on the flightline towing equipment. So the life expectancy of their tractors is 15 years maximum if I remember from AF TO 36a-1-1301.

Good Afternoon Dr Zinj,
Also happy fourth to you !

Maybe you fellas didnt notice but this thread is well over 7 years old ! Just thought I would mention it, you probablly wont get a reply from the OP ! :)

/ tractor life span? #30  
Good Afternoon Dr Zinj,
Also happy fourth to you !

Maybe you fellas didnt notice but this thread is well over 7 years old ! Just thought I would mention it, you probablly wont get a reply from the OP ! :)

The OP also has a join date of 1969.

TBN was even ahead of Al Gore!:D