Tractor making me sick?

/ Tractor making me sick? #31  
You know, i've been thinking about this thread for a while and noticed that, starting this past spring, my exhaust seemed to smell different. Kind of a noxious smell that I attributed to changes in fuel. I did feel a little queezy and noticed the same odd smell on several tractors and thought about starting a thread about it but never got around to it. Maybe I'm just smelling things or maybe it could be a factor?

/ Tractor making me sick? #32  
QwikDraw said:
Thanks guys. I'll check it out. yes it does have AC and cabin filters...and I did see a little mold on the roof. It also has some water stains on the fabric on the roof so I may have had a door not fully closed that allowed some water in. I hope this is the problem.

It's no fun to be scared to get in your tractor!

Did you ever figure this mystery out?

/ Tractor making me sick? #33  
Would like to hear what is problem is. There is supose to be some new kind of spray for molds but I don't know what it is.

/ Tractor making me sick? #34  
Weird, out of all the a/c systems i've seen that have had mold I've never seen one make someone sick, although im definatly sure it could happen. I'd be getting a CO tester and running the tractor around simulating some work, in that small of cab it wouldnt take a lot of CO to really screw with you. Seems like the easiest test.

/ Tractor making me sick? #35  
Also make sure you are not recirculating cabin air. Most have this feature and warn about not doing it for very long.

/ Tractor making me sick? #36  
About a month ago I have some bush hogging and run the machine a few days and...yup, get the worst case of the stomch bug ever...like for a week straight. I also have some other wierd symptoms like I have an ear infection, sulfer tasting burps and then my knee start to ache...

Never heard of CO poisoning affecting you with any of those symptoms. CO poisoning causes redden (flushed) complexion, head aches, dizzyness and death but non of these symptoms. Got to be some virus or chemical contamination. There are kits that have little filters that you collect air sample in and then send to a lab for analysis for molds. Might try that.

/ Tractor making me sick? #37  
About a month ago I have some bush hogging and run the machine a few days and...yup, get the worst case of the stomch bug ever...like for a week straight. I also have some other wierd symptoms like I have an ear infection, sulfer tasting burps and then my knee start to ache...

Never heard of CO poisoning affecting you with any of those symptoms. CO poisoning causes redden (flushed) complexion, head aches, dizzyness and death but non of these symptoms. Got to be some virus or chemical contamination. There are kits that have little filters that you collect air sample in and then send to a lab for analysis for molds. Might try that.
Gary, I sent the OP and email asking if he solved this mystery. It would be interested to find out the results..

/ Tractor making me sick?
Hey guys, the only thing I have done is spray the interior down with Lysol. Other then that I've been working 6+ days a week and really haven't had time to figure it out.

I'll keep you posted when I do.

/ Tractor making me sick? #39  
weird..

I'd put a CO detector in there at least..

/ Tractor making me sick? #40  
If it's CO2 there may be a problem with the engine.

"Is carbon monoxide a problem with diesel engines? Usually not, although any engine, including diesel, produces CO when combustion is incomplete. Diesel (compression ignition) engines run with an excess of air and often produce less than 1200 ppm CO. When diesel fuel is burned incompletely or when overloaded and over-fueled (rich mixture), diesel engines will produce high concentrations of CO. Diesels usually pollute the air with particulates and nitrogen oxides, not CO. "

Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering @ Iowa State Univeristy

Although I was in a 2008 International Prostar, and rolled out of the bunk in the middle of the night in Lake Station In.. I choked and gagged for over an hour before I could breathe 'semi-normal' again. Turned out to be a bad EGR valve on the truck.