Tractor motor oil over winter cold months

/ Tractor motor oil over winter cold months #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
In the boating community they usually say change oil at the end of the boating season and before winter.

I always wondered what happens to oil during a cold winter. Does it get water in it from condensation? Does the oil quality degrade over cold winter conditions?

So I was thinking maybe its better to change the oil in the spring and before you start the tractor use season.

Maybe it doesn't matter or does it?

Either way I'm getting ready to change my oil.

What do you do?

/ Tractor motor oil over winter cold months #2  
Depends on whether you use the tractor in winter or not. Boats and lawnmowers should have oil changed in the fall so they don't sit over winter with contaminated (water and acid) oil in them. I use my tractor all winter, so I change in the spring since my usage in summer seems to me to be more severe service than the winter use.

/ Tractor motor oil over winter cold months #3  
I change mine solely based on hours of run time. Run the same oil in it year 'round. A synthetic oil with a temp range to meet our temp extremes from winter to summer. I also use my tractor year 'round.

/ Tractor motor oil over winter cold months #4  
Any water you get over the winter from condensation can be burned off when you start using your tractor the following year. The only way to prevent condensation is to have a hermetically sealed container.

Since low sulphur content fuels and oils are the thing now, Sulphuric Acid in an engine isn't what it used to be. Oil containing contaminants...like engine oil and carbon residue, if let sit long enough will (through gravity) migrate to the bottom of the container. I bought a tractor a couple of years ago, built in 1990 time line, with 900 operating hours from an estate sale. The owner just didn't use it when he got up in years.

When I got it home I drained the oil and there was about 1/4" of sludge on the bottom of the oil pan. You don't get sludge with detergent oils if you use the engine on a regular basis...the dirt stays in suspension. I have had dirty engine oil in a clear plastic container with sealing lid and years later came across the container and the oil was honey colored with a black residue on the bottom.

/ Tractor motor oil over winter cold months #5  
I run Rotella - 15W40 - year round. If we ever get back to "normal" winters - yes, I use my tractor to plow snow. However - not the case for the last five years or so.

The owners manual for my M6040 recommends - 15W40 - unless it gets really cold. Then - 10W30. If it gets cold enough to run 10W30 in the tractor - I'm in the house, enjoying a hot buttered rum or coffee laced with JD. The tractor is secure in its protected carport bay - I'm protected in the house.

AHHHH - the world is right.