Tractor or ATV

/ Tractor or ATV #11  
I looking to a rear pull behind mower and the only thing I didn't care for was,you can't life the deck if you come to a object when mowing,also if your mowing a slope the rear mower works its self down hill a tad.The horse power on the rear deck mower I look at came in 5hp also 10hp.The wheel adjustment were only 4 1/2 inches.,but the price wasn't to bad..$ 1,350.oo on the 5hp.

/ Tractor or ATV #12  
Typically, most greys brought into this country range in age from 15 to 25 years old. There are a few that are newer but they are rare. Hours of usage vary by machine as does condition. Here in GA, there is an outfit selling tractors reconditioned in Vietnam that are pure junk but there are good machines out there, too. The Japanese govt. policies encourage the purchase of new farm equipment and used has little value there. Exporters buy them up and send them everywhere, including here. Removing snow might be a reason to opt for 4WD since small tractors suffer from poor traction due to their light weight. The technology on these machines is simple yet well refined. I am currently looking at purchasing a Kubota L3010 (32hp) but I plan on keeping my little Yanmar. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Tractor or ATV
beenthere,

I agree with you about the ATV's & hunting. Just doesn't seem right. They are pretty fun to drive though.

/ Tractor or ATV #14  
In my area some people have tried the ATV mowers but discovered if they let the grass get too tall they would have to drive so slow that the atv would over heat.
This would not be a problem on a liquid cooled machine or the addition of a electric fan helped with the problem.

/ Tractor or ATV #15  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=7905&prmenbr=6970>Take a look at this trail mower from Northern Tool</A> Looks powerfull, wide and reasonably priced. Just ignore the typo in its description that says it is 2 Horse power /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif, it is 12 horse power.

/ Tractor or ATV #16  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0010046520021a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0010046&catalogCode=XB&parentId=&parentType=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=0010046520021a>Here's one</A> (from Cabelas of all places).

/ Tractor or ATV #17  
I know a few people that do this. They think it's fine for what they do. One of my friends has a Polaris Sportsman 500 and uses it to mow, blade, haul firewood and other stuff, etc. He's on 10 acres and has never needed anything else. I've been there when he's mowing 8" grass with it and it's done fine. I've seen the pull behind ones at Farm and Fleet for around $1200. I think you would be fine with it if that's all you want to do.

/ Tractor or ATV #18  
DON'T confuse the capabilites of an atv with a tractor!if all u are going to do is cut grass, then a large garden tractor will suffice for a lot less than an ATV, but if u need to move any amt of snow? or is that not a factor?

/ Tractor or ATV #19  
I am sure that the ATV/pull mower setup you are considering will do the mowing job that you need. If you plan to mow regularly, then a pull behind finish mower may be what you want; otherwise, a pull behind rotary mower would fit the bill. The only problem that I see is mowing across hills where the mower may have a tendancy to slide downhill...hopefully not dragging the ATV with it.

A tractor with finish mower and/or rotary mower will also do the trick. A large lawn & garden tractor will also suffice if you plan to mow frequently. You can also use the lawn & garden tractor rather than the ATV to pull the offset pull behind mower for double (or more) cutting width.

Other than money, the key issue that'll drive you towards one of the options over the others is the use of the equipment other than mowing. Depending upon the deal that you come across, the tractor is the most expensive but also the most versatile when it comes to keeping up the acerage. Most people find many uses for tractors that they had never thought of before purchasing their first one. However, if you have a desire for ATV fun, then that desire may override the more "practical" aspects of the tractor. Certainly, the cheapest option is the lawn & garden tractor which should last 5 years or more while you gain experience in this area.

This is a good board which should overload you with information.
Good luck,
Kelvin

/ Tractor or ATV #20  
ATV's and hunting are a perfect mix if you ask me. That's one of the reasons I have owned an ATV. There are several people in my area that have them as well, and they are ridden frequently. I believe the animals have grown accustomed to seeing and hearing the ATV's, so it does not disrupt them.

If you have a 4wd ATV, you should have no trouble pulling a 500lb. mower. These machines can be extremely powerful (obviously not very heavy though).

I've pushed 12"+ of snow, pulled 60ft trees, and pushed 1 ton dump trucks with ease on my ATV.

If you would have no need for a tractor beyond the lawn and snow, a tractor may not be your best option. Same said with the ATV; if you only want it for the lawn and snow, get a lawn tractor and snow blower.