Tractor PTO Generator Sets

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets #11  
looks like an excuse to get a 981 some day... :)

soundguy

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets
Guess only groundcover and RickB caught my note: During day light hours when people are doing things in the house, I run tractor at 2900RPM and the PTO at 540 RPM. At night or when it is really quiet, I run the tractor at about 1750 RPM and PTO at 950 RPM.

I.E., using a two speed PTO

The GenSet is turning at the required 540 RPM at the PTO in both cases producing 120-125VAC, only at nite, when there is little or any draw, there is no load to cause a drop in engine RPM...voltage drops are less than 5VAC during off peak times ( I have checked this with a meter). I talked with my Kubota dealer and he saw no problem with this setup.

During times when there might be more load (meal times and evenings with many lights on), I switch over to high engine RPM, and the 540PTO speed. It is not much of a job, and even in a blinding rain, can be done quite easily, under 5 minutes.

This was the first opportunity that I had in over 8 years to "test" so to speak a long term outage, get a feel for fuel consumption, and to know what long term needs the tractor might need such as oil. The way I look at it, over the 46 hour period, I only used just under 12 gal of fuel, that is about 1/4 gal per hour average....that is sipping fuel. The oil was fine before and after the run. I probably could have done the oil/filter change before the outage, but as it had only about 55 hours on it, did not see a pressing need, and did it after.

As for using or not using the genset, I figure, if in for an ounce, in for a pound. If I know I am going to run my genset, I have fuel available just because the local fuel guy may not pump fuel. What is the purpose of being ready for an outage if you are not ready with the fuel to run the genset? Maybe I did not need to run it the full time, but now I do know what is or is not needed to do this for an extended period, including how much fuel I may or may not need for any potential long term outage.

Most average outages around here last well under 2 hours. I do not normally turn the genset on during daylight hours in those cases. In the evening I might if it is around meal time. Later we might just use lanterns. However, when I have advance notice of an impending storm (hurricane, winds, ice, snow, etc), I do stock up on fuel, make sure that my tractor/genset is ready (that is, fueled and connected to the house).

Also, during this recent storm, I was one of only a few in the area with standby power. We had lights, water, heat (if necessary) and warm water for showers. While we were only out 46 hours, several neighbors began to lose food in freezers and refrigerators. Those who were unlucky enough to be without power beyond 2 days did lose food. It was those of us who were prepared who weathered the storm (pun intended). I live in a rural farming community. All farms have standby power and fuel. Do they need to run 24 hours? Maybe not, but all the "large" farms do as they milk 24/7. Unfortunately some farms in the state had to dump milk as the roads/bridges were out and the haulers could not empty their tanks.

So, the long and short of it....the B7300& PTO-7 did the job, while not large enough (7KV/40A) to fully run the house, it was plenty to get by. The only thing I might change short term is maybe permanently mount the GenSet on a pad close to the entry point to ease setup. Other than that, fully satisfied and recommend that if you have the tractor and PTO, use it.

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets #13  
Glad to hear your experience with the 2 speed pto option.

It's usually the first question new pto generators owners have, was for me. "How can I slow my tractor's engine rpms down?"

The only answer is with a 2 speed pto and only for lighter loads like you mentioned. I wish my JD had 2 speed option, for those times you just need the lights on, which is probably more than 50% of the time.

I still don't know why people need to run generators overnight while you sleep though??

Just for fridge/freezer??

JB

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets #14  
Interesting post.
I run a gas generator.
I get about 24 hours out of approximately 10 gallons of gas. Big difference in fuel consumption.

However, I just can't see running by tractor at 2900 RPM for hours on end. I get that is what they are designed for and all. But man, my $300 generator is super cheap to replace should it blow up. I bet I'll get 1000+ hours easy out of it.

Sorry, I know post on PTO gens but couldn't help myself.

Another big benefit is I don't have to mess with 3pt hook up, for example, my backhoe is on 99% of the time, in the winter I'd likely have a blower on, would hate to have to mess with swapping out at midnight in a snowstorm.

I run 24/7 when power is out, this way I have water (well pump), heat, lights and any other necessity in the winter.

Joel

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets
JB4310: First, I when I was looking for a tractor, even used, I looked for a 2 speed PTO. Secondly, while running the genset at night is not necessary in summer, in colder weather, it also runs the heat in the house. While I live in the country, I no longer have wood heat. Did once, but have gotten to the point in my life when I have better things to do than spend a good portion of my life cutting, splitting, stacking, piling, moving again and again, just for heat. My dad used to say that wood heats you at least 6 times by the time you haul the ashes out, and I agree.

JoelD: Understand your point, however, I do not think that we are comparing apples to apples when you say that you have a $300 genset, unless you got one crazy deal on a used unit. Mine is a true 7000W 10000W surge unit. When mine is plugged in and connected to my house, I can run any electrical unit in my house, I just choose not to run everything, to save on load and fuel. I can run my electric stove and/or oven and all other kitchen appliances, if I choose, as well as lights, TV, computers, etc. I also use my tractor to move snow with a 3PT Blower. However, I look at snow storms two ways. Either they are going to be bad enough to take power out or not. If they might take the power out, I swap out the blower for the genset early, and if I have to choose between clearing my drive or keeping my family warm during a storm, I choose the latter...my 54" Provonost Puma will clear a ton of snow piled 30 inches deep or more after the storm has passed and the power is back on....and like someone else said earlier, it only takes about 5 min to swap over in the garage. I know, I have done it many times. When I am done, I normally am found out clearing my neighbors drives after mine is done. I only wish that I had purchased a real tractor and PTO generator 20 years sooner.

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets #16  
I agree.. a 300$ genset her ein a store will be hard pressed to get you 3000-4000w...

even a chinese one.

and those cheap lil one's ar ethe ones I'd think wouldn't last being run 24/7, vs a high quality tractor engine...

soundguy

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets #17  
Except in the winter, why bother running the generator at night at all? Don't open the refrigerator, use a few flashlights and just shut the generator off when it is time for bed. A packed freezer/fridge will have no trouble going six to eight hours without power.

I guess some of you live in climates where A/C is necessary many times of year but without a need for A/C or heat I would just shut the thing off at bedtime. If you want to really plan ahead, get a battery/inverter backup for the nighttime hours to preserve lighting. A decent sized battery pack will also run the refrigerator (only about 600W draw). Or as an alternative just use one of the little 1000W portable generators which can run 12 hrs on a single tank of gas to cover the night (again, unless climate control is critical).

After Irene we were able to keep four or five houses functioning with twice a day two hour generator runs with refrigeration and water pumps the main objective but plenty of reserve (6000W gen) to do other electrical things during those periods too.

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets #18  
even here in balmy florida, we -CAN- get by with no ac, even in the hottest 2.5 months, during extenuating circumstances.. sure we'd LOVE ac.. but when it's a fuel / no fuel issue / no power for extended times? .. we can cope. BTDT with florida hurricanes, and living in rural areas. been without power for weeks plenty of times living off genny and inverters / car batteries.. etc.

soundguy

Except in the winter, why bother running the generator at night at all? Don't open the refrigerator, use a few flashlights and just shut the generator off when it is time for bed. A packed freezer/fridge will have no trouble going six to eight hours without power.

I guess some of you live in climates where A/C is necessary many times of year but without a need for A/C or heat I would just shut the thing off at bedtime. If you want to really plan ahead, get a battery/inverter backup for the nighttime hours to preserve lighting. A decent sized battery pack will also run the refrigerator (only about 600W draw). Or as an alternative just use one of the little 1000W portable generators which can run 12 hrs on a single tank of gas to cover the night (again, unless climate control is critical).

After Irene we were able to keep four or five houses functioning with twice a day two hour generator runs with refrigeration and water pumps the main objective but plenty of reserve (6000W gen) to do other electrical things during those periods too.

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets #19  
even here in balmy florida, we -CAN- get by with no ac, even in the hottest 2.5 months, during extenuating circumstances.. sure we'd LOVE ac.. but when it's a fuel / no fuel issue / no power for extended times? .. we can cope. BTDT with florida hurricanes, and living in rural areas. been without power for weeks plenty of times living off genny and inverters / car batteries.. etc.

soundguy

And even here in frigid New England my heat does not need to run overnight.

In fact I have a programmable thermostat and have it set to 62 from 10:pM to 6:AM, and only on a rare occasion on the coldest night of the year has it ever called for heat overnight, happened maybe twice in 7 years.

So I definitely would not be running a genny overnight.

They AC would be more of a hardship in the night than the heat for me, but even with the ac, it's just set for an hour to help us fall asleep.

JB.

/ Tractor PTO Generator Sets #20  
we do the same with our thermostat. it falls back about 8 degrees. or rather clock up 8 at night. gives us a burst of ac to get to sleep, and then kicks up, stays up during hte day, kicks down a bit an hour before we get off work, etc.. etc.

soundguy