Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD #11  
I don't care what anyone says, if you're considering a front end loader, you lose about 90% of it's ability on a 2wd tractor. I'm sorry, but I personally consider a 2wd tractor with a FEL a joke if you really need a FEL. Unless you're getting up into 300, 400 hp tractors etc., 4wd makes a HUGE difference. Even then, look and see if you can find any even in that size that isn't 4wd. Except for just mowing mostly flat pastures, I view a 2wd tractor as obsolete. I can flip my tractor into 2wd anytime I want and see how it operates. The difference is unbelievable. I would positively never consider a 2wd tractor. If you need to save money, there are other areas that are a lot better places to save money.

Come on now 90%?:eek: How about 75-80%. Other than that, I agree 100%:thumbsup:

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD #12  
Aww, c'mon now; you know about 95% of all statistics are made up, right? :D :D

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD #13  
Aww, c'mon now; you know about 95% of all statistics are made up, right? :D :D

Well, I don't know about made up, but they sure do manipulate them to get whatever answer they want. :shocked: :D

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD #14  
4wd isn't just for mud...it's for traction all the time.... and on the few occasions where I take mine out of 4wd (to drive on pavement) I inevitably get get soon reminded to put it back in 4wd when working on the ranch...in dry conditions....because I'll lose traction, wonder why, remember that I'm not in 4wd, put it in 4wd and all is well.

My unscientific opinion is that 4wd is like adding about 15 to 20 hp to your tractor. I was renting a dirt buggy once and was asked what tractor I was using, with a comment by the county soil conservation person that typically the buggy was pulled by 75hp or better tractors. I told him about 50 hp but it was 4wd...he said I'd be OK...just kinda take it easy...he was right...it worked but I CLEARLY needed all traction possible.

4wd is all about getting the most from your tractor.

And, HST isn't just for loader work. On any place there is a huge amount of utility work where continuous speed control is extremely, extremely useful ...I actually consider it critical...and HST is the way to achieve this. Yes, HST shines in loader back and forth work, but it's value is continuous.

There are few folks, anymore, who keep their tractors in the field with dirt engaging implements 90% or more of the time. I'm talking hours a day, day after day. If you do, then HST is unnecessary for that application and even slightly less fuel efficient than a traditional geared tractor.

IMHO, it takes 4 times longer to do the same FEL dirt work job with 2wd gear versus 4wd HST. I've tried using only 2wd just to see what happens. For me, in 2wd, I have to seek to take bites of a pile several times to get a heaping bucket full of material, backing up and going forward and playing with curl and lift, etc... with 4wd, I get a full bucket about 85% of the time, first time.

You are going to use the tractor on 500 acres.... sure, people have handled that kind of acreage for years using everything from horseback on up. Commuting between DFW and Stonewall to manage the property is time consuming enough without having a tractor that is less than fully capable of not only starting but doing all the tasks at hand when you get there without you having to fight the capabilities of the tractor while you are doing it.

So, my advice, is you not go short on tractor capability to handle the 500 acres. The threads of TBN are replete with stories of folks who purchased less then moved up to larger tractors/4wd/more equipment/etc and few, extremely few, are dealing with 500 acres, many are far, far less. :)

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD
Thanks again for all the comments. Some great info here. I have decided to go with a 4wd tractor w/ a gearbox.

I feel that a 40hp tractor will be sufficient for our loader, mowing, grading, etc. work. I think it will pull a 6' disc OK also. With that said, we are looking more toward the 55hp tractors for the same work. I have been told the 55 hp tractors might pull a 7' disc, but nothing much bigger.

Question: Should we buy the 40 or so hp tractor and perhaps a much bigger used model also, for they heavy field work?

I'm going to look at the following models Friday.
-Kubota L4400DT
-Kubota MX5100DT
-Mahindra 5530
-John Deere 6045E
-John Deere 5055E

I'd like to look at the Mahindra 4530, but they are not available now... I was told to avoid the 4035 model???

Any comments on this? The Mahindra tractors seem to be heavier, and I'm sure this would be beneficial.

If I buy the 5530, I'll also haeve to purchase another trailer to haul it. The others will fit on what I have...

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD #16  
If you get a Mahindra 5530 4WD and load the tires, it will handle a 10' disc.

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD
   / Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD #18  
If you get a Mahindra 5530 4WD and load the tires, it will handle a 10' disc.

Galen, any chance you have any pictures of this? How heavy of a 10' disc, what type of disc, and what kind of ground and terrain? Not that we really need to get into all the details, it is just that ALL of these things make a HUGE difference on just how big of a disc one can really pull and do any good.

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD #19  
I would like to know the reasoning as to why someone told you to stay away from the 4035. If you are looking for a 40hp tractor, that would definitely be one of the ones that you should be looking at in my opinion. :confused:

/ Tractor Purchase Recommendation - Mahindra vs Kubota vs New Holland vs JD #20  
Hi
Seems to be many Mahindra folks here. I have two Mahindras and one JD. One Mahindra is 2wd and about 43hp the other is 4wd and 65 hp. The 2wd Mahindra is only good for wheelbarrowing - really sucks wind for pushing dirt. In sand, 4wd is a must. In muck, 4 wd is a must. Look at the 4wd mahindra tractors - 5530 or 5520 range- always go alittle bit bigger. the 4530 was much more tractor than the new 4035 at about 150% more umph. The 4035 is too small for your needs- go bigger. I bet the Mahindra dealer beats the Deere. Look closely at the specs on the Kubota- kinda inflated - compare tires sizes, weight, cuin, hp rating at rpms. Get the best deal but pay slightly higher for a closer dealer with a real shop not a garage. Also see who has the best deal on skid steer attachments and don't be afraid to buy slightly used on these. Look at total price. Don't know much about NH. Also watch the plastic hoods on the tractors.

Hope I opened you eyes.
Michelle