Tractor recomendations and /or critiques

/ Tractor recomendations and /or critiques #21  
I think what CharlieTR is talking about is that most Cat 1 implements are made for tractors up to about 45 hp. Many Cat 2 implements might require more than 50hp, and even if they don't, they do cost a good bit more. Of course you can use Cat 1 implements on a 50 hp tractor but with any light duty Cat 1 implement like a box blade, you run the risk of tearing it up very easily. You can work around any of this so I don't think that makes 50 hp a bad range, you just have to think about what you hook to it.

From what I can glean from the OP's needs, I think a Kubota M5040 or 6040 would be ideal. They are priced competatively and the Kubota quality is there. I would highly recommend 4wd, especially in a lighter tractor like the Kubota.

/ Tractor recomendations and /or critiques #22  
Yep.. what if you want to do cat1 stuff.. but also wat to run a 24kw genny.... 50hp sounds good!

soundguy

/ Tractor recomendations and /or critiques #23  
I've got about 33hrs on my M5040 and I would highly reccomend you give it or any of the Kubota "M" series tractors a look and test drive. Might want to also think about the Kubota "MX" series as well.

/ Tractor recomendations and /or critiques
Just checking in to let you guys know that we finally purchased a tractor yesterday. My son, who will be spending much more time on it than anyone else, found a used one on Craiges List. It's a Case IH 4210, 1995 Model w/ 62 HP. It has 585 hours on it. It has spent it's life on one piece of land doing about the same type of work that we will be using it for. It has a Bush Hog FEL and a Hay Spear. The terrain and soil type where it has spent it's life is much the same as we have so I don't expect any issues there. It's in great shape, seems to have been well maintained and probably stored inside. We gave $14,000 for it which is not a steal but what we considered a fair price given it's condition. Again, thanks to all for your advice and help.

/ Tractor recomendations and /or critiques #25  
Sounds like a perfect find. $14,000 might seem high for a 14 year old tractor but the hours are really low. How about posting some pictures when you get it?

/ Tractor recomendations and /or critiques #27  
It's time to replace the old tractor. She's all wore out and just doesn't fit the bill feature wise anymore. I need to buy a tractor that can haul round bales from the front or rear and also have a front end loader capability. I want a full size tractor frame and somewhere around 50 HP. I've always found sites like this to be very educational when I am in need of buying big ticket items. So, does anybody have any anecdote's, praise or condemnations on anything that has been recently bought? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Snappy.... I stick to John Deere or Kubota for this size tractor. The Kubota 7040 is real nice. And both should have excellent resale... if the time comes you need too. You are very smart to research before buying.