Tractor Sizing Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway

/ Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway #21  
Consider a Three Point Hitch mounted Pat's Easy Mover. I like the Easy Mover because of its dumping feature. TRANSPORT BOXES are huge in Europe, where fewer tractors are sold with FELs. With your FEL bucket and a Pat's Easy Mover on the 3-Pt you can move considerable wood volume every trip and dump both ends exactly where you wish. No issue with a trailer pushing an ATV, then jackknifing.

Get a tractor BEFORE you get an ATV. If you must have an ATV consider the transmission carefully. With your hills and desire to haul heavy green wood, a Hydrostatic (HST) transmission is the sole choice which will be reliable. Additionally, HST provides automatic engine braking going downhill.

I always seek the simple solution. You do not need TWO engines requiring TWO distinct fuels, which you will be hauling and filling from five gallon containers. The tractor can do it all.

PAT'S EASY MOVER VIDEO: Pat's Easy Mover in action - YouTube

GREENWELL MANUFACTURING: greenwellmfg - Home

I agree, and feel there is no advantage in using a trailer for short distance moving of fire wood. It might be different if you were hauling fire wood from neighboring towns. With the tractor and carry all you can easily back up to the wood stack at the house and unload.

A Subaru is not the vehicle to pull a loaded trailer up that driveway. It is a good passenger vehicle for winter use though, no point in tearing it up hauling gravel or firewood. The Tacoma is a nice truck too but it will not pull 6500 lbs. up that driveway either, maybe 2000 lbs is more likely. Hire a dump truck to drop the gravel as close as possible and use the tractor to move and place the material on the drive.

/ Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway
I agree, and feel there is no advantage in using a trailer for short distance moving of fire wood. It might be different if you were hauling fire wood from neighboring towns. With the tractor and carry all you can easily back up to the wood stack at the house and unload.

A Subaru is not the vehicle to pull a loaded trailer up that driveway. It is a good passenger vehicle for winter use though, no point in tearing it up hauling gravel or firewood. The Tacoma is a nice truck too but it will not pull 6500 lbs. up that driveway either, maybe 2000 lbs is more likely. Hire a dump truck to drop the gravel as close as possible and use the tractor to move and place the material on the drive.

OK, will do. Thank you both for setting me straight!

/ Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway #23  
Go rent something for the weekend you think will work from reading these threads then you'll have a baseline for comparison.

/ Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway #24  
Go rent something for the weekend you think will work from reading these threads then you'll have a baseline for comparison.

Most Home Depots have a Kubota BX25 for rent.

/ Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway #25  
Unless building directly on the stump, I grind it or leave to rot. Digging out stumps is hard and leaves a mess to clean up

/ Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway #26  
Last edited:
   / Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway
Acquire a tractor before you acquire an ATV.

1) It is foreseeable you may need a tractor to assist your Subaru or Tacoma up the driveway when you experience a once in a decade heavy rain and partial washout.

2) One common tractor 3-Pt. "implement" is a PTO powered electric generator. You do not need TWO engines, one diesel, one gas.

LINKS (2): PTO powered electric generator site:tractorbynet.com - Google Search

Google: PTO Generator prices

Wow. Well I am sold. Seems PTO gens do fairly on fuel too. I am looking at a low hours L3800 4wd hst filled rears with a fel. This would fit the bill? Maybe need to have spacers added...

Last edited:
   / Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway #28  
Sure. Much better than L2501, less than L3560/L3540.

I am uncertain if spacers can be used on a tractor as heavy as an L3800. Spacers add considerable stress to the rear axle. You would likely need five+ inches per side to make a significant difference. I see the rear tires are filled on the tractor you are inspecting, which is good, but imparts some additional load on the rear axle. An L3800 will be drawing heavy implements......so I am uncertain about adding spacers. (I am speculating. I only have first hand experience adding wheel spacers to a BX.)

More speculation: It is possible bulbous, Michelin radial tractor tires may help with stability.

(You should not fill front tires. It overworks both steering pivots and power steering.)

Spacers work fine on a light BX tractor. Three inches on each side of a little BX is considerable wheel spread. Bro-Tek, in Canada, is the go-to source for the BX.

Used Tractors Around Boone: -mower in Industrial Tractors | eBay

Used Tractors Around Baltimore: Tractors | eBay

Last edited:
   / Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway #29  
Wow. Well I am sold. Seems PTO gens do fairly on fuel too. I am looking at a low hours L3800 4wd hst filled rears with a fel. This would fit the bill? Maybe need to have spacers added...

Sounds like a good choice for a tractor.

/ Tractor Recommendation - 10 acres, mountains, VERY steep driveway #30  
Jeff,
I can't see a problem adding spacers to an L3800 if the spacers are well made.