Tractor "Relations"

/ Tractor "Relations" #1  

wa9w00d

Tractor
Mahindra 4110
I was reading some of the brand comparison posts and got to thinking..and no it didn't hurt much.
Basically, all small tractors come from somewhere in Asia nowadays. How related are they? Here are a few I think I know of.

Mahindra 10 series = Daedong engine in TYM tractor (got one of these).:D
Kioti = Daedong engine in Daedong tractor (all of them?).
TYM = Kubota engine in (midsize) TYM tractor (Mitsubishi engine for smaller, CAT for bigger).
I think I've heard Mitsubishi makes the 15 series Mahindra and smaller Massey's. Is this engine and tractor?
Also, Perkins powered a lot of Massey's at one time. McCormick uses them now. Any of the (45hp and smaller) Asians using them now?

I know this is trivia, but what can I say? I like trivia. Post 'em if ya got 'em.

Wayne

/ Tractor "Relations" #2  
There actually is at least one make/model tractor of under 45 hp that is made in America and has an American engine. In fact, it is even classified as a CUT, although that is a bit of a stretch considering its size. Im talking about the JD 4120 that I own. I can't locate any Asian parts on the tractor itself, but the JD 400X loader it came with has a couple castings that are stamped "made in China".

/ Tractor "Relations"
Hi wolc123,

Mind if I ask what area you hail from?

Yea, JD is basically the only U.S. tractor mfg. left period (just my opinion guys, bolting them together here ain't the same in my book).
Wasn't sure where the cut off was though. I know Yanmar made a lot of the small JD's in the past. Anyone know who makes them now?
Maybe some of the really big Case/IH and CAT's majority U.S. construction, but I'm mainly thinking 45hp down.

Thanks
Wayne

/ Tractor "Relations" #4  
wa9w00d said:
I was reading some of the brand comparison posts and got to thinking..and no it didn't hurt much.
Basically, all small tractors come from somewhere in Asia nowadays. How related are they? Here are a few I think I know of.

Mahindra 10 series = Daedong engine in TYM tractor (got one of these).:D
Kioti = Daedong engine in Daedong tractor (all of them?).
TYM = Kubota engine in (midsize) TYM tractor (Mitsubishi engine for smaller, CAT for bigger).
I think I've heard Mitsubishi makes the 15 series Mahindra and smaller Massey's. Is this engine and tractor?
Also, Perkins powered a lot of Massey's at one time. McCormick uses them now. Any of the (45hp and smaller) Asians using them now?

I know this is trivia, but what can I say? I like trivia. Post 'em if ya got 'em.

Wayne

The small CAT is actually a Yellow Perkins, that is why CAT bought them. They needed help with the smaller stuff, and since Perkins perfected those, they bought them.

ALL MF SCUT/CUT are Iseki.

/ Tractor "Relations"
WilliamBos said:
The small CAT is actually a Yellow Perkins, that is why CAT bought them. They needed help with the smaller stuff, and since Perkins perfected those, they bought them.

ALL MF SCUT/CUT are Iseki.

Thanks! See, I'm learning good stuff already!

Perkins always had a rep. for fuel sipping reliability "in the day". Are any of them still made in England?

/ Tractor "Relations" #6  
McCormick CT series uses Mitsubishi engines

/ Tractor "Relations" #8  
I'm pretty positive that Deere does not do anything under the 6000 series totally in house. Really... no company does compacts domesticly. The only one that I can think of is when Cub Cadet had MTD building the 5000 series here... thats it.

/ Tractor "Relations" #9  
Wow, I didn't know all this.

Why would you sell engines to a competitor if you are building your own tractors? With all this "intermingling" of parts. What is truely the differences in the Mahindra vs. Kioti vs. TYM. This makes choosing a tractor even more confusing.

/ Tractor "Relations"
POC said:
Wow, I didn't know all this.

Why would you sell engines to a competitor if you are building your own tractors? With all this "intermingling" of parts. What is truely the differences in the Mahindra vs. Kioti vs. TYM. This makes choosing a tractor even more confusing.

Hi POC,
Actually, outsourcing of engines (and other components) has always been common in tractor manufacturing. Waukesha and Hercules powered a lot of tractors at one time. Fuel delivery, electrical components, or hydraulic pumps are rarely made under the same name as on the hood.
As to choosing between Mahindra, Kioti, or TYM, I think most here would agree that all are quality machines and that providing you've found a machine in each brand that fits you, the dealership is more important than brand (distance, deal, demeanor,durability).
Later,
Wayne