Tractor Restoration Threads

/ Tractor Restoration Threads
can always check the # times viewed. think of it as a running blog...

That's a good suggestion, and I have tried it on occasion, but it's just not the same. The problem is that I'm on a quest to exchange information, and numbers don't do much to help me accomplish my goal. :)

/ Tractor Restoration Threads #22  
ask specific questions if you are trying to get specific answers.. otherwise it's just going to be a lead-less conversation...

ask specific questions if you are trying to get specific answers.. otherwise it's just going to be a lead-less conversation...

I have, several times, but they went unanswered. As a result, I've begun to turn to alternate sources of information to try and find the information I seek.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Restoration Threads #24  
As I slowly prepare to begin restoring my Massey 135 tractor, I've been considering the possibility of creating a restoration thread when the time comes. That said, I'd like to get some input from my fellow TBN members. To give you a better idea of what I would like to know, here are a few questions that come to mind. Please feel free to add your own.

1. Do you like or dislike restoration threads? Why?
2. What would you like to see or not see?
3. How much detail is too much?
4. How should it be organized and/or presented?
5. Can one have too many pictures?
6. Should the thread be created before or after the restoration is complete?
There are restoration threads and there are sit around the stove restoration threads. If your blog leaves the subject often then it's a sit around the stove restoration thread. I have read many restoration/build threads. If the builder stays on topic it holds my attention.

The builder comments on questions asked. Either way, I read them and skip over the rambling offtopic stuff.

There is never too much detail. As for organization.

If your looking to sale your info like some do on the net, then posting it in and open forum is kinda like giving the milk away free.

Picture size is limited. Clear properly exposed pictures in focus is a must.

If your restoration is taking a very long time them some could loose interest with chit chat filling in the holes of time.

Complete and short as possible I rate those build threads high on the pole. It really depends on how much time to have to compile and organize your presentation. If you run into a wall, it's best to not post and pick up where you left off, which leaves your thread a clean look.

Just my two cents. -robert

/ Tractor Restoration Threads #25  
I must admit that I find myself rapidly losing interest in a restoration thread because it's a little less "interactive" than I had hoped it would be. The general idea was to exchange information, but that doesn't seem to be happening.
I post about my progress not so much as getting response, but to show progress for all those lurkers out there that like to watch .:laughing:

I may not comment on your thread, but to keep track of it. So think of it as sharing info. Everyone has thier own way to present information. Just remember, that ther are alot of new members that don't know what a clinch pin is. Talking over thier head and they qickly loose interest. These are farmers not PH.D of farm mechanics. The old saying KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Don't worry about reply counts. If your worried about that, then your doing it for the wrong reasons. -=robert=-

If your looking to sale your info like some do on the net, then posting it in and open forum is kinda like giving the milk away free.

A few scaled down pictures and a smattering of commentary posted to a forum thread represents but a tiny fraction of what a true restoration entails. The devil is in the details, which is why most service manuals are 500 pages thick, and even that is often not enough information. With regard to creating a CD/DVD, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

/ Tractor Restoration Threads #27  
I post about my progress not so much as getting response, but to show progress for all those lurkers out there that like to watch .:laughing:

I may not comment on your thread, but to keep track of it. So think of it as sharing info. Everyone has thier own way to present information. Just remember, that ther are alot of new members that don't know what a clinch pin is. Talking over thier head and they qickly loose interest. These are farmers not PH.D of farm mechanics. The old saying KISS method. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Don't worry about reply counts. If your worried about that, then your doing it for the wrong reasons. -=robert=-

i love to look at the pics.

soundguy

Option 1: I could share my progress during the restoration, but doing so might make a forum thread difficult to follow because things are often not done in any given order during a restoration. Forum threads frequently stray off topic, which only further complicates matters.

As for option 1, I do (sort of) have an ongoing progress thread going now. However, much detail has been omitted, and it's anything but easy to follow certain steps of the process because it was never intended to be a restoration thread.

I had no idea how true this would be. Now that I have a long-running restoration thread going, I've discovered that it takes forever to find anything in previous posts. :confused2: