Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #71  
Rolled my CC 7254 last weekend as I was trying to fill in a slope where we park our RV to make it a bit wider. Had a mid sized load in the FEL and came in from the level site at a angle to the slope. Was just starting to dump to load and the left front tire slipped down the slope due to the rocks on edge giving away.

I had the ROPS off as I was working previously under some treed area (on level ground) and it was in the way. The CC 7254 is very easy to get on and off of and I always figured I could jump out of the way.

It was over in about 2 seconds, as it gave way completely unexpectedly and started rolling to my left I first thought to try go over the right side but could not do it in time. The effort did throw me out away from the tractor such that my left leg was hit by the FEL left rear bracket just behind my knee.

I was pretty shaken by the event and thank whatever Gods may be it did not kill me or crush my knee or the jewels further up. I was able to get up and walk after a few and used the pickup and chain to roll it back over. No damage to the tractor other than the left hand rail was a bit chewed up. Still have a nice bruise and hemotoma along with a nice stamp of the FEL bracket.

The ROPS is going back on before I use it again and after reading about the "hinging" effect of the articulating front end it became crystal clear how it rolled. As I said, fortunately the grade was slight and it only rolled on its side. The last time I came this close to death was flying AC-130 gunships back in 72' and being hosed by AAA every night.

That ROPS is never coming off again, trust me on that one.

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #72  
as it gave way completely unexpectedly and started rolling to my left I first thought to try go over the right side but could not do it in time.

WIMP!!! Stallone and Schwarzeneger jump from spinning out of control helicopters to other helicopters hanging on the running gear with one hand and firing an AR50 and killing the bad guy's with the other all the time in the movies....

SRS. Thank God you are ok. I live in a very hilly part of the country and I have to remind myself each time i go out to be careful and don't get too cocky or overconfident on steep hillsides.

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #73  
Thank God you are okay. Enough to to see your life flash in front of you, I'm sure...

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #75  
These things are over in just a second or two, not time to see your life flash before your eyes, just barely time for a skimpy preview. Let me make a couple things clear:
1. Thanks for joining in with the rest of us serving our great country when called on
2. Don't skip the checklist!!!!!!!!! We don't want any "Kick the tires, light the fires and blast off" BS here.

By the numbers, PLEASE, I don't want one of the good guys surviving all Charley's AAA and then... get run over by their own tractor, just taint right you know.

The best USAF air ace ever was killed in an auto accident just prior to shipping out to Nam. What a waste.

I bought my tractor with FEL and got a set of quick attach pallet forks to interchange with the bucket. The owner of the sales outfit told me to NOT HANDLE ROUND BALES with the pallet forks. I did but I was "CAREFUL?" and was oh so good with them. I could stack them on end two rows high on my util trailer while my wife towed it behind our truck through the fields. Then I'd pick them up one at a time and stack them on their sides in the hay barn. The tractor was just barely tall enough to stack bales three rows high.

One moment of inattention while putting a bale on the top row, let forks curl a little too far and SHAZAM the 1000 lb round bale tumbled back bending the back stop of the pallet forks 45 degrees and almost coming over it and through the front glass of the cab where I would have been crushed some you betcha. I knocked off for the rest of the day as regarded loading hay as I had a higher priority task of driving 25 miles to the tractor dealer to buy the hay spike attachment I should have already bought if I didn't think I was oh so clever and could do OK without.

Glad you escaped basically unbroken, if nicked and scratched a little.

ROPS and seat belt give you far better odds of reducing injury than the misguided belief that you will be able to jump clear. There are plenty of jump clear advocates here on TBN and unfortunately their stubborn misguided beliefs stand a reasonable chance of getting them killed. This is not unlike the attitude prevalent regarding seat belts in cars and trucks. "I don't want to wear them in case I'm trapped in a burning vehicle." BS!!! For every time anyone burns in a vehicle due to a jammed seatbelt there are hundreds maimed or killed by being ejected from the vehicle.

If anyone really wants to go for the looooong odds and not wear a seat belt they should be wearing a flak vest and helmet as there is a distinct but unlikely chance of their being hit by a meteorite. It has happened before.

Pat

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #76  
Has anyone tried putting on some outriggers, bolted to the frame under the center of the tractor? Seems like it would be some added insurance for rolos.

RD
Uhhh you mean like training wheels? Training wheels...... Yea sure, you just might be able to sell that to someone one a real steep property. Lower his/hers insurance rate

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #78  
I been reading about rollovers and this JD3005 is a lot smaller than the old 1010 With wide wheels, never came close to rolling in it, even with loader up aways. However , now I am going to be thinking about what was said here and those videos that were shown. Would like to know if loaded tires and ballast will make a great difference in the stability along with the 300 loader. I do keep the bucket down low when not in use and am very careful when anything in it. Good lot of posts on this subject
REt92

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #79  
I been reading about rollovers and this JD3005 is a lot smaller than the old 1010 With wide wheels, never came close to rolling in it, even with loader up aways. However , now I am going to be thinking about what was said here and those videos that were shown. Would like to know if loaded tires and ballast will make a great difference in the stability along with the 300 loader. I do keep the bucket down low when not in use and am very careful when anything in it. Good lot of posts on this subject
REt92

Loaded tires help a lot with stability. Ballast on the 3PH...that can be a mixed blessing for stability. Just keep it low and really take it easy on any turns you may have to make.

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #80  
REt92

Yes, and Yes, Load the tires, and have ballast (down low). Both make a difference. And keep it in 4WD. see this thread of what happened when the OP went back down a hill in 2WD he had just been up and down several times in 4WD:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ting/225886-2320-rollover-always-use-4-a.html

I understand your concern, but don't be afraid, be informed and aware.
When my new L3400 arrived, just for fun the first thing I did with it off the truck was to go over to the gravel pile and prove to myself just how useless and unsafe a brand new "bare" tractor is for moving heavy loads. The tractor without anything on the 3pt and no fluid in the tires, was SCARY. even on the nearly level area of the gravel pile the pucker factor was really starting to rise with a loaded bucket. After building my ballast box and loading the tires, it is an entirely different machine. In You-Tube vid's you see new people with a brand new tractor's. showing off with nothing on the back, no loaded tires, go grab a load of dirt, and hold the bucket up as high as it will go, and take off cross country. Geez it is a wonder we don't kill more people than we do. In the competitive pistol shooting world, we say "shoot fast, shoot accurately, BUT always shoot safe" well in the tractor world, how about "get lots of seat time, have fun, BUT always tractor safely"

James K0UA