Buying Advice Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT?

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #11  
First thing I think you should do in order to make your decision easier, is forget about the dealer. People put SO much weight into the dealer. You don't need them nearly as much as TBN makes it sound.

Regarding your muses for the tractor being mainly dirt work, I personally feel that you should reconsider what Mike posted above, regarding the Kubota dedicated TLB's.

My tractor has the same loader as the Kubota your considering, and I do anything BUT farm type work, including a lot of rough woods and dirt work. The loaders on these tractors, although capable, are simply not designed for this type of work. If you have a choice, strongly consider something like the Kubota L47.

However, I'm sure you'd be delighted to have either of the ones you've researched, and based on what you posted, the JD seems right for you!

Just do yourself a favor and learn about the differences in dedicated tractor/loader/backhoes. They are twice as capable as any similar farm tractor outside the hay fields.

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT?
First thing I think you should do in order to make your decision easier, is forget about the dealer. People put SO much weight into the dealer. You don't need them nearly as much as TBN makes it sound.

Regarding your muses for the tractor being mainly dirt work, I personally feel that you should reconsider what Mike posted above, regarding the Kubota dedicated TLB's.

My tractor has the same loader as the Kubota your considering, and I do anything BUT farm type work, including a lot of rough woods and dirt work. The loaders on these tractors, although capable, are simply not designed for this type of work. If you have a choice, strongly consider something like the Kubota L47.

However, I'm sure you'd be delighted to have either of the ones you've researched, and based on what you posted, the JD seems right for you!

Just do yourself a favor and learn about the differences in dedicated tractor/loader/backhoes. They are twice as capable as any similar farm tractor outside the hay fields.

Thank you for your insight, why I posted !
My ‘concern’ is I do not need a backhoe for the dirt work - if I wasn’t doing horse pasture a dozer would be my pick, but they are price prohibitive for me (maintenance and purchase) and I do need the various functions + PTO capability.

****edit****
Just saw I can get the TLB without the backhoe and it has PTO - searching now thank you!
The HST+ of the Kubota really has my eye, and yes either one would serve well for what I need.
Thank you! Keep it coming I learning !!

Scott

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #13  
Thank you for your insight, why I posted !
My 祖oncern is I do not need a backhoe for the dirt work - if I wasn稚 doing horse pasture a dozer would be my pick, but they are price prohibitive for me (maintenance and purchase) and I do need the various functions + PTO capability.

****edit****
Just saw I can get the TLB without the backhoe and it has PTO - searching now thank you!
The HST+ of the Kubota really has my eye, and yes either one would serve well for what I need.
Thank you! Keep it coming I learning !!

Scott

Resale on a TL is less than a TLB by way more than the cost of the BH. Park the backhoe, add a + 1 ton counter weight on a Quick hitch.

You will quickly find out that a BH is handy, even if it is not on machine much.

Grapple is handy too.

Note the loader is part of the TLB, only the bucket comes off. No big deal as the TLB's are super maneuverable.
For their weight, the tires on a TLB are too small, IMHO.

Besides digging the occasional hole and ditch, Picking up stuff, my backhoe serves two functions.
1.) With the thump, and bucket reinforcement it adds +1,900 Lbs counter weight.
That is not enough! I have 750 lbs in wheel weights/spacers, plus 250 Lbs of other weight added here and there.
My little tractor is a bit over 8,000 lbs, and is just the right weight for full use of the loader and BH.

2) There is 2WD stuck and then 4WD stuck, and 4WD stuck trying to push yourself out with the loader stuck,
but I've only been in one situation on a steep incline ready to slide/roll over an embankment that I was 4WD stuck with loader and backhoe.
(Lucky I have a wife and an excavator.)

I've moved the L39 over walls and foundation trenches the the hoe, regardless of what the owners manual says about not trying this at home.

PS, TLB pushes dirt better than average CUT, but it is not close to a skid steer, CLT, excavator with blade, never mind a dozer.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/89163-busy-wife-weekend-21.html

Last edited:
   / Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #14  
If a Dozer will do most of your work you should consider picking up a used one. Maintenance is not bad on a dozer if you get one in good shape, no more than a tractor. You can use a dozer and then resell it for what you paid for it if you buy the right one for the right price. Then you can get a tractor for tractor needs.

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #15  
If a Dozer will do most of your work you should consider picking up a used one. Maintenance is not bad on a dozer if you get one in good shape, no more than a tractor. You can use a dozer and then resell it for what you paid for it if you buy the right one for the right price. Then you can get a tractor for tractor needs.

Dozers don't break down more than other equipment, but have you ever priced final drives, track, transmission components on a dozer?

That is why many otherwise good dozers sit rusting in fields. Not for the faint of heart or the unlucky.

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #16  

I agree. I'd never buy a certain color/model tractor based on the dealer.

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #17  
Dozers don't break down more than other equipment, but have you ever priced final drives, track, transmission components on a dozer?

That is why many otherwise good dozers sit rusting in fields. Not for the faint of heart or the unlucky.

That's why you have to buy it with a good undercarriage. Most on here wouldn't put more than a couple hundred hours max on it in 5-10 years. Changing drive sprockets is easy, rolling pins or messing with the rail is when it's rough.

Brett

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #18  
I do a lot of dirt work with my tractor, my advice would be to rent a large bobcat or small dozer and do most of your dirt work then use a tractor to finish what the bobcat or dozer doesn't get done. Both will run circles around the tractor unless you have countless hours to spare. You can rent a bobcat for a day and do 8hrs of work which would take your tractor 40-50 hrs to do .

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT?
I do a lot of dirt work with my tractor, my advice would be to rent a large bobcat or small dozer and do most of your dirt work then use a tractor to finish what the bobcat or dozer doesn't get done. Both will run circles around the tractor unless you have countless hours to spare. You can rent a bobcat for a day and do 8hrs of work which would take your tractor 40-50 hrs to do .

Yes sir, that’s what I did - rented a JD450 for a week and did all the clearing and initial dirt work and drainage - now it’s time to fine tune all that and get pasture planted and the track built up and refined

Scott

Last edited:
   / Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #20  
Again, I would own and smile with either tearing up dirt at the fort....
I didn't expect the price to be this close from everything I have read, that surprised me 100%. Honestly If I do apples to apples the JD is cheaper, and you have to get insurance on the Kubota if you use their financing and the Kubota insurance they have (if your insurance won't cover ag equipment) adds about $5k to the price over the term of the loan, JD does not require that and makes the JD cheaper by $3-4k.

Scott[/QUOTE]I don't think you will find that you will get by from your finance company without insurance. JD dealer may tell you that you don't have to take it, but you will for sure get a notice from your finance company that they will issue you a policy or give you xx number of days to furnish proof of insurance. I thought that I could get by without insurance by using my homeowner policy to cover my LS purchase. It was $5K short of the requirement so I had to get a special policy to cover it.

No one JD, bank or other financing is going to let you have their money without assuring that if you total it out, they are going to recoup the money. It is no different with tractors as it is with autos. So you may as well factor in the cost of an insurance policy for the duration of your financing in the cost of the JD. At least Kubota is willing to finance the total balance including the KTAC policy.