Tractor shifts but doesn't move in high gear

/ Tractor shifts but doesn't move in high gear #1  

treetall

I had an accident with my Nortrac 25hp tractor. Started to go down a hill in low gear, but it just took off as if it was in neutral. Luckily it tipped over on it's side before colliding with anything hard. Used a winch the same day to get it on all wheels, but the engine would not turn over. Towed it back to my barn and it started on my first attempt. Thought I was home free, but now it hesitates to move when put in gear, and won't move at all in the higher gears, unless I start on a gentle downward slope. Transmission fluid was at proper level, but I changed it anyway, flushing out the reservoir with diesel fuel(as per owner's manual) and refilling. The old fluid was discolored as if it had water in it. I cannot see any mention in my manuals of any filter or screen for the transmission. Anyway after all that the problem has not improved. Accelerating the engine only slightly helps sometimes, but not much, if at all. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks for any ideas.

/ Tractor shifts but doesn't move in high gear #2  
Glad no one was hurt! It sounds like a badly slipping clutch. Maybe its out of adjustment because something got damaged. Or maybe it got oil on it.

/ Tractor shifts but doesn't move in high gear #3  
Glad no one was hurt! It sounds like a badly slipping clutch. Maybe its out of adjustment because something got damaged. Or maybe it got oil on it.

If it was in low gear when he started going down the hill but then it took off, the clutch could've already been compromised before the rollover, unless somehow it popped out of gear?

/ Tractor shifts but doesn't move in high gear
This is the first time the gears ever failed me going down a slope, took me by complete surprise. Never had any problems with the clutch. Guess I better read up on how to check/adjust it. I'm not familiar with the mechanism. Depressing the clutch pedal, shifting between gears(this is an all manual tractor) everything seems just as it has always been, except before when I started in a higher gear, it would jump right away when let up on clutch, now it does nothing. Will only move generally in the two lowest gears, and low reverse. There is a high/low stick, a 1,2,3,r stick, and a three position auxiliary stick which I leave alone.

/ Tractor shifts but doesn't move in high gear #5  
If it was in low gear when he started going down the hill but then it took off, the clutch could've already been compromised before the rollover, unless somehow it popped out of gear?

I was assuming that it popped out of gear but yea a fried clutch could let the tractor run away down a hill.

I think it's clutch rather than gearbox since it provides some drive in low gears/low throttle. That's classic slipping clutch behaviour.

/ Tractor shifts but doesn't move in high gear #6  
I was assuming that it popped out of gear but yea a fried clutch could let the tractor run away down a hill.

I think it's clutch rather than gearbox since it provides some drive in low gears/low throttle. That's classic slipping clutch behaviour.
Yeah I'm just curious because it sounds like a new problem, everything was fine, it ran away and now everything's wrong after the roll... but obviously it wasn't because bad things happened.

Is the clutch wet or dry? I could see if it's a dry clutch, and just a bit of oil got to it which wasn't noticed much until it got bad enough that the run-away happened, then with the rollover perhaps there's another spot that admits more oil and now it's really messed up, or maybe it was just that bad and the roll-over didn't affect the clutch.

Had the tractor been used recently before the accident? I'm thinking it was sitting for a bit and accumulated more oil.

Yeah I'm just curious because it sounds like a new problem, everything was fine, it ran away and now everything's wrong after the roll... but obviously it wasn't because bad things happened.

Is the clutch wet or dry? I could see if it's a dry clutch, and just a bit of oil got to it which wasn't noticed much until it got bad enough that the run-away happened, then with the rollover perhaps there's another spot that admits more oil and now it's really messed up, or maybe it was just that bad and the roll-over didn't affect the clutch.

Had the tractor been used recently before the accident? I'm thinking it was sitting for a bit and accumulated more o

Yes, it was being used before the accident. It has a dry clutch. I do have some good news. I spoke with a tractor mechanic who also agrees with members here that it is a clutch problem. He believes I had it in too low a gear for the steepness and poor traction of the woods road I was on(leaves, branches, etc.). Suggested I look to see if there is a drain plug near the clutch. Found it today and oil flowed out. I got it to move in somewhat higher gear than previously. As of yet it is not moving as fast as it did previous to the accident but there is already a noticeable improvement. Right now it is sitting in my barn with the engine off and the drain plug removed, since there still is a trickle of oil coming out. I'm hoping it improves more. Time will tell. Thanks to everyone here on TractorByNet who commented with suggestions and advice. I did not have a clue and the more opinions from people with more experience than me the better. If anyone has any further advice to get the tractor back to full running condition I'd be happy to hear them. Thank you!

/ Tractor shifts but doesn't move in high gear #9  
We had a FarmPro 2420 which is similar to yours. On downhill slopes since it's an open rear differential with no locking mechanics the right wheel would start to slip and then the left wheel would start to turn backwards. Even in gear it would do that on a steeper slope. One time it started to run away with me on it. I was able to turn the front tires in the direction of the traction and it grabbed the ground and I was able to steer it away from disaster. After that I would not go down those steeper ones and just would go around the hill and drive up them only (cutting the path ways was the purpose). I'm sure yours did the same thing. But you tipped over. I was lucky enough to avoid that. It's a scary situation and easy to panic in.

As for your problem, the thing I would be concerned with is that the engine might have gotten oil up into the top cylinders. Was it running when it went over ? It might have compromised the compression on that 3 cylinder engine and one cylinder might now be "weak".

Yes, it was running when it went over(and continued for a while when down) but now seems the engine is running normally. Currently I am draining fluid that got into the dry clutch. Some improvement already, but not complete as to tractor speed in gear. May have to bring it to a professional if I am not satisfied with it's operation. Yes, it was a scary situation going down that hill. I won't be doing that one again! Thanks for the explanation of what happens on a steep hill.