Tractor shopping

/ Tractor shopping #1  

whistlepig

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 with FEL
My old B7800 is getting long in the tooth and I am considering a new Kubota. I think the B7800 was too small for what was asked of it. My thoughts is that I should have bought a 40HP tractor instead of a 30HP. Some considerations: I'm getting old and need a nice seat for my old back. Will be used with a Woods 72" RFM and 5' rotary cutter. May or may not buy a loader with it. Maybe 4WD or maybe not.

/ Tractor shopping #2  
My old B7800 is getting long in the tooth and I am considering a new Kubota. I think the B7800 was too small for what was asked of it. My thoughts is that I should have bought a 40HP tractor instead of a 30HP. Some considerations: I'm getting old and need a nice seat for my old back. Will be used with a Woods 72" RFM and 5' rotary cutter. May or may not buy a loader with it. Maybe 4WD or maybe not.
Are those two implements the only thing you plan to use? It doesn’t take much hp yo run those. Also consider that resale of a 2wd compact tractor with no loader is going to be very difficult, if resale matters to you.

/ Tractor shopping
Mainly the 5' rotary cutter and 6' RFM. The B7800 I have now is 4WD with a loader. I really don't need the loader anymore but would am considering a front mounted hydraulic snow plow. 4WD not a necessity.

/ Tractor shopping #4  
Mainly the 5' rotary cutter and 6' RFM. The B7800 I have now is 4WD with a loader. I really don't need the loader anymore but would am considering a front mounted hydraulic snow plow. 4WD not a necessity.
You will need FWD and tire chains for any serious snow plow work.

As previously mentioned, 2WD Kubotas are few and far between. Local dealer tells me that he has not sold one on about 20 years and it was a special order.

Lots of older 2WD tractors available, e.g., Ford, etc., but I would keep my 7800.

/ Tractor shopping #5  
4wd is a must have. 4 wd tactors have more front end weight which increases stability even when not engaged plus the obvious increased traction when engaged. If you use it once its worth every penny imho

/ Tractor shopping #6  
4wd is a must have. 4 wd tactors have more front end weight which increases stability even when not engaged plus the obvious increased traction when engaged. If you use it once its worth every penny imho
And it has more braking capabilities since all 4 wheels are spotting the tractor with the 4WD engaged compared to just 2 from a 2WD tractor.

/ Tractor shopping
It has some issues right now. This tractor has been well maintained and always garaged. Always did the scheduled maintenance. 1600 hours on it now. Only thing it has been used for is running a 6'RFM and a 5' bush hog. Plus some snow removal with the loader and post hole digger work.

Year before last the splines for the motor to hydro shaft sheared off and the tractor had to be split for $1700.00. Reverse only works half the time. 4WD isn't working, and while in the poll barn yesterday it had puked hydro oil all over the floor. I concerned that it is turning into a money pit. I'm retired now and really don't want to shell out the money for a new tractor and am trying to make a decision.

/ Tractor shopping #8  
going from a 30 to a 40 hp tractor doesn't seem like a big jump. When I upgraded my tractor I went from the L3301 to the MX5400 and the difference was substantial.

/ Tractor shopping #9  
It has some issues right now. This tractor has been well maintained and always garaged. Always did the scheduled maintenance. 1600 hours on it now. Only thing it has been used for is running a 6'RFM and a 5' bush hog. Plus some snow removal with the loader and post hole digger work.

Year before last the splines for the motor to hydro shaft sheared off and the tractor had to be split for $1700.00. Reverse only works half the time. 4WD isn't working, and while in the poll barn yesterday it had puked hydro oil all over the floor. I concerned that it is turning into a money pit. I'm retired now and really don't want to shell out the money for a new tractor and am trying to make a decision.
Sounds like the mechanic that did the split and reassembly missed a few things. That's not the fault of the tractor, but if that is the level of mechanics where you are, it isn't likely to change.

A new tractor will do the chores and save your body for a few decades before it gets that many hours - and new ones are generally more comfortable. In your shoes, I'd probably stay with Kubota and 4wd - as some one said, if you go that route and decided it isn't what you wanted then a Kubota is easy to trade in.

Larger tractors are more comfortable. They have more room & bounce less. You might think about equipping it from the start with an air suspended seat. I've got a genuine Grammer air seat on one tractor, and it is a whole other world of comfort.
rScotty

/ Tractor shopping #10  
Unless you're brand loyal there are also other options out there that might give you more bang for the buck. I do not really have budget restrictions, but I did think that Kubota is overpriced, so I went with a Kioti instead when I was shopping around during the past year. Was able to pick up a 60HP Compact (NS 6010) with cab for 42k$. Rock solid, well equipped and a real pleasure to operate. Going to a machine like that might be a step change for you, as opposed to just shooting for 10HP more on a Kubota (at excessive cost). And hey, it's orange :)

1708012034549.png