tractor size / designation

/ tractor size / designation #11  
<font color=blue>"but it was so sweet to only spend $621. for a brand new automatic 20 hp twin cylinder riding lawn mower with a 46" suspended deck and two year warranty to boot... "</font color=blue>

John, that sounds like one heck of a deal to me! What make/model riding lawn mower do you have? I'm in the process of trading for a 'Huskee' lawn tractor which was purchased new at Tractor Supply Co. last year. I guess this one was something over $3,000 with a snow blower and a couple other attachments that probably isn't a dramatically superior piece of equipment.

/ tractor size / designation #12  
Just to confuse things the ag industry breaks tractors into three classifications: large, 100 hp and over; medium, from 40 to 100hp; and small, less than 40hp. The article said that Japan is the dominate supplier of small tractors.

/ tractor size / designation #13  
<font color=blue>The JD4200 is approximately equal to the Kubota L3410. Not sure about NH.</font color=blue>

Personally, I'd have put the JD4300 as being about equal to the Kubota L3410. In the NH line, this is somewhere close to a TC33 (close to a Kubota L3010). On the other hand, I've not had much experience actually using the JD4200/4300 or the Kubota L3010/3410, so I'll yield to those with greater experience on the point.

John Mc

/ tractor size / designation #14  
I was just making a guess at equivlancy--the 3010 weighs 2750 and the 3410 at 2970 lbs and the JD shows 2680 lbs for the 4200 and 2900 lbs for the 4300. The 3010 has 92 cubes and the 3410 has 100 cubes and the 4200 has 73 cubes and the 4300 has 92 and the 4400 has 101 and weighs also 2900 lbs.
I was going more on weight rather than horsepower but if you look at engine displacement that confuses things further. It seems Kubota typically puts a larger engine displacement with more rated horsepower in a given weight class/frame size than does JD in this range of tractor and it seems that way in the B series also.
Being as I have no experience whatsoever with these machines I could not really do anything but hazard a guess and I prefer the weight equivalency. Another way you could see this is that JD prefers not to put any more engine in a given weight/frame size than they believe can be used effectively, anything more they might consider to be a waste or "hype"--more than one way to see these things. J

/ tractor size / designation
I believe massey fergusion does this as well. I stopped by there lot and looked at what honest to god looked like a riding lawn mower.. was sopposedly a 20hp tractor, on a frame twice as small as a nhtc18.. was about the size of a oh ... yanmar 1300, which is a bit smaller than a ford 1210... odd huh... I doub't it had the weight to use the 20hp ( if it indeed had it, and was not the imagination of a deceptive salesperson ).

Soundguy

<font color=red> was going more on weight rather than horsepower but if you look at engine displacement that confuses things further. It seems Kubota typically puts a larger engine displacement with more rated horsepower in a given weight class/frame size than does JD in this range of tractor and it seems that way in the B series also

/ tractor size / designation #16  
<font color=blue>I was going more on weight rather than horsepower but if you look at engine displacement that confuses things further.</font color=blue>

I looked at HP, but also at 3pt lift capacity, FEL capacity (where I could find it in comparable specs... some place don't tell you WHERE they measured it), and overall physical size. Looked at weight as well, but since Kubotas tend to weigh less than their nearest competition, I didn't put much "weight" on that measure, just looked to see that they were in the same ballpark.

John Mc

/ tractor size / designation #17  
Often to market different machinery they use name changes to differentiate from another manufacturer. A lawn tractor is different from a garden tractor as all the attachments go on and off easier on the garden tractor. The estate tractor is just a different name for the garden tractor. Compacts pick up the list from there and yes I'll say that includes the sub-compact. Utility tractors start off around 40 horsepower and go to roughly 85 horsepower. From there up? Call them what you want but those are the tractors putting food on the table of the world!

/ tractor size / designation #18  
Actually, I do not agree Kubotas weigh less. I always thought they weighed more. I think this goes back to what a person is using to determine a "class" or equivalency. Since it appears to me that Kubota--for whatever reason likes to put more horsepower in a given weight/frame size then I could make the statment that Kubota tractors have more horsepower---for a given horsepower Kubotas are lighter--for a given weight and frame size Kubotas are more powerful (more horses--larger engine)--but it would not be meaningful anymore than saying Kubota tractors are lighter than a JD. From another thread--a fellow said--look at your needs and then buy the tractor size/weight/frame that can accomplish that tasks. Looking at it that way you can compare more straight across--like I said, I prefer weight for comparrison, others can and do differently. Horsepower that is not balanced with tractor weight may not be all that usefull but it looks good on paper for the Kubota man to say to the farmer dude--hey my 2700 lb tractor has more engine displacement and more horsepower, the JD dealer says-- hey tractor dude--my 34 hosepower tractor weighs more than those Kubota 34 horse power lightweights. Is the glass half full or half empty sort of thing. No more rhetoric from on this thread, too do loo, time to go move some dirt. J

/ tractor size / designation #19  
You can always buy a lump of concrete to increase the weight of your tractor.

Seth