Tractor starts then dies

/ Tractor starts then dies #11  
Most carbs have an idle circuit with either a fixed orifice or an idle screw. this circuit pulls fuel from the main jet well and mixes with air from the idle air circuit. the passages in question are small at around .30 thousands. you might get lucky, but personally I would pull the carb and clean it thoroughly !

Your engine will thank you !!

/ Tractor starts then dies #12  
Well, he did say it was getting gas. :laughing:

And I for one would appreciate no 'farting' in this forum.............I live here also ya know:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Tractor starts then dies #13  
From what I've seen from this 'new crap gasoline', I would clean the carb before I ever checked anything else..............:thumbsup:

/ Tractor starts then dies #14  
Well, he did say it was getting gas. :laughing:

There, I fixed it.:D

Long day at work. I dont know how I missed that one. The P and the F are on complete opposite sides of the keyboard:confused2:

/ Tractor starts then dies #15  
Checked the spark all good fuel lines all good there is gas filling the carb and the tractor will start right up,and then die almost instantly. it will also stay running as long as you are spraying carb cleaner into the carb. It is gravitry fed but when you pull the fuel line gas pours with no problem. Thanks everybody.

So you have eleimiated the ignition as the problem. How do you know gas is filling the carb? Where did you check the fuel delivery? Does the carb have a drain plug at the bottom of the fuel bowl? if it does, do you get a CONTINUOUS FULL FLOW of fuel when you remove it?

/ Tractor starts then dies #16  
I take it this is an older unit, with points & condenser. If it starts OK and then dies there is a resistor on the run side cutting the voltage to the points. that could be bad.

/ Tractor starts then dies #17  
!0 to 1 it is electrical I have a 820 J.D. and it acted very similar to yours .
On the J.D. 820 though it is diesel the key switch controls power to the
injector pump.
And that is what it turned out to be a bad key switch. it would turn power off to the injector and stall.

Most problems on gas engine like the one your experiencing usually is electrical
not gas.

Good Luck

/ Tractor starts then dies #18  
From what I've seen from this 'new crap gasoline', I would clean the carb before I ever checked anything else..............:thumbsup:

Always a good possibility these days, especially if the tractor has sat for any length of time. Ethanol creates moisture issues.
I always make sure that any of my small engine stuff, as well as my Mustang and Harleys have the fuel treated before they're put up for the winter. I use K100 but there are a multitude of products out there like StaBil, Star Brite, etc.

/ Tractor starts then dies #19  
I'm not familiar with your tractor, but I've had the exact symptons twice on vehicles. FWIW, my experiences:
First time: fuse for the fuel pump burned. Replaced fuse and worked fine.
Last time: Battery went bad. No warning at all.
Good luck!

/ Tractor starts then dies
Rebuilt the carb,and she runs like a top! Thanks everybody!