Tractor storage

/ Tractor storage #1  

kbota

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 850-sold to buy Kbota Grand L3010
I recently purchased an L3010. Nice machine. Will only be using it rarely for another year- at least. After that I'll retire and will use it often, as in daily. It's currently stored in the garage with wife's car. she doesn't mind...really she doesn't.
How often should I crank her up (the tractor) and let the engine warm up? Should I drive it around the block? or, since it's stored inside, is it okay to just let it sit?

Your opinion please, but tell me why you feel that way.

Thanks

k

/ Tractor storage #2  
A diesel engine...most engines, can't be "warmed up" by idling. They never get hot enough to cook off the condensation in the engine. Excessive idling also causes the engine oil to become diluted with diesel.

What is "occasional" use? I used to let my L3830 sit for about eight weeks or so in the winter. She always fired right up. Put fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank. Make sure the engine oil is clean, and grease her up. If you're gonna fire her up, use it and get everything up to operating temp before bedding her down for any length of time.

/ Tractor storage #3  
I would at least start it once a week and run it several minutes at upper rpm, maybe move it around a bit to (1) keep the battery up, (2) keep engine internals from "draining dry" (3) and to generally keep parts, seals, etc. lubricated. As extra insurance for #(1) you might also want to purchase an automatic float charger (better than a trickle charger). If it's really going to sit for long periods of time, you'll have other things to be concerned with, first that comes to mind is the fuel in the tractor going bad. Diesel can start condensing water, then growing bacteria and maybe algae too... both eat the fuel, the bacteria's "waste" is corrosive to your injection system innards, and algae will plug your fuel filter. There are a number of additives you can put in the tank to prevent this... just do a search on here.

/ Tractor storage #4  
You may also want to do quick spot check under the hood...mice etc. can build home rather quickly from the fan blade back to steering.

/ Tractor storage #5  
Well, maybe if you leave it at your sons house, him and some frineds could keep it from setting up. I think that would be best.

/ Tractor storage
land_lord333 said:
Well, maybe if you leave it at your sons house, him and some frineds could keep it from setting up. I think that would be best.
hmmm....Tell you what Jake. I'll think about that - Okay I've thought about it.
---------------------------------- NO !----------------------- :mad:

Tell you what I will do. :rolleyes: Next time I'm working at the property, I'll call said son and friends to come help. I still have a few trees to take down, and a drive way to put in, and water lines to install, and drain lines to install with catch basins, and.....etc... How's that for a deal?
You can even bring that ol' junky L3400 over. Maybe we can find something for it to do that it can handle, but if not, I'll just chain it to the Grand L and drag it over to the road for disposal. :D

/ Tractor storage #7  
kbota said:
hmmm....Tell you what Jake. I'll think about that - Okay I've thought about it.
---------------------------------- NO !----------------------- :mad:

Tell you what I will do. :rolleyes: Next time I'm working at the property, I'll call said son and friends to come help. I still have a few trees to take down, and a drive way to put in, and water lines to install, and drain lines to install with catch basins, and.....etc... How's that for a deal?
You can even bring that ol' junky L3400 over. Maybe we can find something for it to do that it can handle, but if not, I'll just chain it to the Grand L and drag it over to the road for disposal. :D

*****OWNED!!!!****

/ Tractor storage #8  
With a battery tender, you can let just about anything sit for months on end and it will start right up. I personally think that starting the engine to let it warm up is more harmful than just letting it sit with a battery tender on it. I can let my little Kubota idle for hours and it wont warm up like just using it for 15 minutes. I've let a BX sit all winter on a battery tender and it fires right up in the spring when I need it.

/ Tractor storage
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments and advice.

k