Tractor Supply Company

/ Tractor Supply Company #1  

dbarne20

Sorry if this is a repeat post, I'm new to country living and have a nearby Tractor Supply Company store. Is this a reliable place to purchase a tractor or just a gimmicky store name to catch city folk like me with my pants down?
/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Tractor Supply Company #2  
What kind of tractor. From what I know they only sell garden tractors. As far as the company I think they are pretty good. Depending on what it is I would not have a problem buying from them.

murph

/ Tractor Supply Company #3  
IMO, they're more a place to purchase tractor supplies, not the tractors themselves. They sell Cub Cadet lawn and garden tractors, plus their own branded version of MTD products. Their brand is called Huskee -- not to be confused with Husqvarna. Unless I'm mistaken, they sell nothing larger than garden tractors...

Their implements, attachments, parts and such seem to be OK quality, but not at the level of original equipment stuff nor the higher end aftermarket stuff...

It's not junk, it's not top of the line, and it's priced accordingly, and affordably...

My two cents...

/ Tractor Supply Company #4  
I've found both the product variety and knowledge of products varies by slightly location, from another thread a while back perhaps greatly would be a better word.

TSC Thread

Around us, they're great for fencing supplies, mineral blocks, ect., but I've never seen anything heavier than low or maybe "mid-range" garden tractors there. They also have ignition kits and the like for "older" machines which I've occasionally found very convienient.

It always amazed me how one day I can speak to someone really helpful and a week later someone else with blank stares.

/ Tractor Supply Company #5  
My #1 store for fencing supplies, all else such as tack and vet supplies I have found better sources (Mail order or local auctions)
But in a pinch - I am glad to have one nearby

Ron

/ Tractor Supply Company #6  
Not really gimmicky just what it says tractor supplies, it is a decent place to get grease fluids, and some implements. But you will need to shop elsewhere to buy the tractor itself. Good Luck with your search. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tractor Supply Company #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It always amazed me how one day I can speak to someone really helpful and a week later someone else with blank stares. )</font>

Ahhhhh, yes, the blank stares. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif We should have a smilie face for that very look /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif! A lot of times they know what they have in stock /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but, no clue what to do with it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Tractor Supply Company #8  
I love tractor supply...there is a new one near my home set to open the end of July, it will be about 10 miles from my place. Tractor supply has about everything under one roof in the way of hardware/feeds/farm tools/ clothing/tractor parts ( pins,pto's decals batteries)just about anything related to farming. They have lots of pet foods/medicines. Farming magazines/horses/antique tractors.All of my friends that farm like tractor supply and are looking forward to the new one being opened in my area as well.
There is another tractor supply about 30 miles from where I live and about a month ago they let an antique power club set up there steam engines and bring there old tractors in on the parking lot on a Saturday and the customers coming in and out of the store were able to view the display. I thought it was rather nice.

/ Tractor Supply Company #9  
dbarne,
First, let me welcome you to TBN. This is a great site with a wealth of information.
Second, If you fill out your profile we, as a group, can better assist you with your future questions.

Now for TSC. There are two TSC stores within a reasonable distance from me. The closest one gets most of my business because of location but I am not particularly fond of it. The further store I really like a lot and when I move to my bigger property they will most likely get all of my business.
The close store has a bunch of high school kids working in it and they don't seem to care about Customer Service or what they are selling. I actually ask the customers my questions because they have more familiarity with the products than most of the employees. Needless to say this store is closer into the city.

Nothing wrong with High school kids working, I did it too. Let's not go off on a tangent here. Just how this store is.

The further store is much better and is more in the Country setting. The employees know what they are talking about because they use the products at home. The people are also a lot freindlier.
Both stores have the same supplies and are stocked pretty well for Farm and Ranch. Ours here do not sell tractors just riding mowers. I have found their prices to be about average. High on some, Lower on others. Overall they are just another store with products for a specfic market.

/ Tractor Supply Company #10  
My experience has been similar to the other posts. Some good stores, not so good stores with respect to the help there.
Overall good products and good pricing though.

The local stores here sell a good selection of trailers, three point equipment. I bought a rotary cutter and box blade there and have been happy with them.

Good luck!
Curt