Tractor Tests and Implements

/ Tractor Tests and Implements #1  

Anonymous Poster

I find it odd that everything else is covered with magazines that test stuff and have comparisons of different models, brands, cars, vcrs, cameras, you name it. Has anyone seen any magazines that cator to tractors? Are we that small in number? Sure would be nice to have someone unbiased compare the different aspects of different units.

And on a related subject I once saw a newspaper type catalog that had a zillion agriculture and construction equipment ads, and general info. I think it was national as I seem to remember getting excited about something that was 2000 miles away (isnt' it always). Anyone know what it was I could have been looking at?
[email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ Tractor Tests and Implements #3  
Hadn't noticed any bias around here. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Consumers Report probably learned their lesson after they first tested pickups. They gave pickups very bad marks, but were comparing them agains passenger car standards. Now, when I loaded my Honda with 1000# of tile, it didn't handle very well either. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Consumers did run a report last month on Lawn and Garden tractors which was not particularly favorable to Kubota. You will have to read it if you are going to buy one of those baby tractors. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Amazing at all of the good ads in Progressive Farmer and other magazines that target the agricultural world. Also notice construction magazines tout ads of backhoes and excavators.

The real problem is that you have to make money to sell magazines and ALL of the money comes from advertisers. If you have anything bad to say about an advertiser's product, then he is an EX advertiser. That is why Consumer Reports does not take any advertising - they couldn't if they wanted to and be believed.

The results of all of the Nebraska Tractor Testing are available at halfway reasonable prices and give a ton of real test data on tractors for comparison. I don't remember seeing anything less than 45 hp pto with most being over 100 hp. They don't make recommendations, just try to get accurate data and let you decide. Sometimes they show that the manufacturers data and their test data are significantly different. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Tractor Tests and Implements
Gordon, no it was a big magazine on newsprint with mostly farm and agriculture stuff, logging stuff, and cool stuff like engines that ran on unpopped popcorn etc. I had a neighbor that was from Minnesota that always got it in the mail.

/ Tractor Tests and Implements #5  
That sounds like my kind of magazine I hope someone knows the correct name because I sure would like to know it too./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon