Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #21  
You've got a bit of a dilemma. The tonnage you want moved is going to take you a significant amount of time using a tractor towed trailer. And subject you to significant exposure to the hazards of driving an SMV on the highway. As others have mentioned a truck is an obvious choice or even an SUV with the tow capacity to handle a trailer itself. Perhaps you can borrow a truck?

If you consider a custom trailer all sorts of possibilities exist. Once is interchangeable couplers. Use a standard ball coupler to get the trailer to the farm, then switch to a clevis type coupler to hitch the trailer to the tractor for the final transport. You could also have a trailer built to resemble typical wagon gear with the axles all the way forwards and to the rear to reduce the tongue load to almost nothing.

You would lose the tongue loading that would contribute to the weight on the tractor tires that would aid traction. Getting a trailer with removable sides (for flexibility), electric brakes, self contained hydraulic lift, interchangeable couplers and large flotation tires as well as any other modification you would need might be the best solution as long as you use some other vehicle to tow it at highway speeds.

If you take into account your tractor's limitations and your terrain, a custom built trailer might be the best solution used in conjunction with a tow vehicle other than a tractor.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer
Keep in mind that speed is irrelevant to me. The gravel pit and dump are all on lightly traveled, very back roads. No highways. I dont see myself traveling more than about 6 miles an hour--even if I gun the engine. I don't need a massive amount of fill for one giant project that I need all at once. Just occasional fills for some rifle shot projects. And I don't have that many couches and dinosaur skeletons to take to the dump. It just seems that buying a vehicle like an SUV or truck, even a used one, for these occasional short forays would be loading up on an excessive amount of vehicular ammunition.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #23  
Glen - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://gprix.com/dumptrailers/Default.htm> Something like these?</A> It seems the tricky part would be stability when raising a full dump load on uneven ground - same issues as a truck faces - but without the weight of the truck to help mitigate.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #24  
The thing I like about the Pronovost trailers ( depending on the model ) is the ability to not only dump a load by standard design, but by swapping a couple of pins you will then have the ability to dump your load either to the left or to the right.
If my budget ever allows, it will be a Pronovost that I will buy over any other brand strictly because of it versatility.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #25  
Dick,
The Gran Prix trailers are quite similar to the Pronovost Trailers that Mark (in NH) mentioned several posts back.

The issues with both of these trailers is the braking (possibly rectified by electric brakes, again, discussed in earlier posts) and tongue weight (which neither the Gran Prix or Pronovost trailers have wheels near the front of the units...thus more stress on the tractor draw bar or 3ph). That trailer start moving up n' down (due to the road variations) would be mighty uncomfortable and downright hazardous to your health, and anyone around when you lose control of the tractor.
Reckon one could ask either of those dump trailer companies for suggestions. You'd need steerable wheels (of some sort) at the front of the trailer.

One of the previous posts mentioned a custom built trailer...guess that would be the way to go. One could find a hay wagon frame (do hay wagons have brakes?)and install a dump body on it. Then one would have to rig hydraulic lines to the trailer's dump cylinder.

If you're a good scavenger, this could be a neat project. Reckon it'd be mighty expensive ($5000 ± 1000) if you just went the custom route.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #26  
I remember the one 4 wheeled hay trailer we had on the farm. It was simply made from a car or truck frame with all unecessary weight and junk removed. It had a long galvanized pipe, about 2" I think, attached to the front
( steerable ) axle.
It was a great , low flat deck (made of wood) design, but What a BEAR to have to back up.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #27  
Roy, I got an 8'x12' 12,000 gvw dual axle (the axles are 7,000 lb cap. with 8 lug wheels) dumping trailer for under $5K. That included the interchangeable couplers, four foot sides that can be removed in two foot increments, three way tailgate, self contained hydraulic system that has a valve to be driven off the tractor remotes if desired, externally greaseable wheel bearings (I run through a creek frequently) and my choice of paint (Kubota orange).

The builder went over every detail with me including the gauge of the metal used, the type of jack and position, the type and location of the electric plug, location of the hydraulic pump and battery, and tire size (same as my truck).
I got a better deal and exactly what I wanted by going to a trailer builder instead of a dealer.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #28  
Pronovost is nice stuff - but when I've gotten quotes they're priced for the commercial/municipal market (high). GP and CAM offer some lighter models more consumer-priced. Front steering ? Maybe for a hay wagon - but you can't back it up. Hay wagons have regular ag spindles - no brakes.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #29  
Roy, I got an 8'x12' 12,000 gvw dual axle

Darren, question for you...
One concern is the tongue weight. Well, also the potential for the trailer bobbing up n' down resulting in control issues with the tractor.

I'm sure you've got the tongue weight problem squared away through correct loading of the trailer. But what of the tendency of the trailer to bob up n' down? Is that an issue with you?

All of my responses were based upon assumed vehicular movements. If I needed any material, I'd have had it delivered or got it in the pickup (after removing all the Budweiser cans). I also have access to a one ton dumptruck if I need it...takes care of me.
So, I asking you since you have been there...and this does pique my interest.

/ Tractor-Towable LARGE Dump Trailer #30  
Roy,
Isn't Grand Prix actually a dealer that sell Bri-Mar?

Chris