Tractor Towing Rate?

/ Tractor Towing Rate? #1  

earthsurfing

Tractor
Kubota L35
Hi all,

I have a request to do some work with my tractor about 35 miles away.

Any suggestions/ guidelines for standard rates for towing a tractor?

(towing my own tractor with my own rig before I get there to do the work)

Thanks in advance!

/ Tractor Towing Rate? #2  
Towing, or hauling on a trailer?

One-time deal or expecting repeated trips?

Trying to queer the deal, or set up a long-term relationship with a potential customer?

/ Tractor Towing Rate? #3  
$2 per loaded mile is common around here. Ken Sweet

/ Tractor Towing Rate?
Towing (edit: I mean hauling on a trailer). Probably one time- but I get the request often enough I should have a set rate.

This job is for a friend, but I'd like to have a fair/ set rate to work from with any bro-discounts.

He may have other work for other clients, to.

Thanks to the TLB, this machine makes sense to do some excavation.. although not as ideal as a mini I can also do some loader work/ brush hog/ and till the gardens while I'm there!:thumbsup:

I just doubled what I thought I'd do it for after thinking about it a bit.

(originally was going to say $250, now I've said $500 day rate, including towing of machine and whatever they want me to do once I'm there...)

Thanks for the responses.

/ Tractor Towing Rate? #5  
I charge by the hour and begin the clock when I leave the house, end the clock when the work is done so we can calc payment. Effectively getting half the tractor rate for travel time.

You're exposure is very high when traveling unless you have commercial insurance which I bet you don't.

/ Tractor Towing Rate?
This forum is awesome that I could get such prompt responses while still composing the email to my client- thanks guys! (insert cheers'ing beer smiley here)

/ Tractor Towing Rate? #7  
When I do things for others I give them a per hour rate. I usually have a 2 hour minimum. On these jobs I charge for hauling the tractor.

When I do jobs around my house I just drive the tractor over. On these things like pulling shrubs, plowing drives, Bush Hogging, ect I can look at the job and just shoot them a set price. For example if it takes me a 1/2 hour to plow the drive I charge $35. I pull shrubs for $10 each as long as there are 10 or more.

I have also just hauled cars and tractors for people. I charge $75 per hour. That is about 60 miles of transport plus the 15 to load.

Chris

/ Tractor Towing Rate? #8  
$2 per loaded mile is common around here. Ken Sweet

same here

although depending on who you ask it may be a flat fee or per hr depending on availability and distance.

/ Tractor Towing Rate? #9  
Hi all,

I have a request to do some work with my tractor about 35 miles away.

Any suggestions/ guidelines for standard rates for towing a tractor?

(towing my own tractor with my own rig before I get there to do the work)

Thanks in advance!
Where are you going? Canada? Burlington? New Hampshire? :)
You probably ought to start figuring in a per hour charge plus your "running expense", and then adjust down for customers. In my neck of the woods in Vermont (Fletcher) I've gotten behind the cows on occasion on Rt 108 and it turned a 15 minute trip into 40 minutes. And don't get me started about tourist season. You've got to remember most of the peeps responding live where the State Speed Limit is over 50. You get down to Tennessee and 70 is common for the speed limit and 80 is the traffic flow.

In my neck of the woods in Mississippi the common speed limit is 60, the roads are wide, and you rarely get behind anyone doing less than 60.

/ Tractor Towing Rate? #10  
I get $2 a mile, but often they just want a price, so I just make a guess and round up. Never had a complaint. I charge every time. It seems the distance from home will make the chance of breakdowns and other problems increase.