Tractor Sizing TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #111  
When I was shopping for my tractor, weight was probably #2 in the considerations. I didn't want a tractor over #2,500 or 3,000 pounds. For my purposes I want a lighter tractor because of my long term plans for it.

Not everyone wants, needs or seeks a heavy tractor. I wanted the maximum lift capacity in the lightest tractor I could find and in a Japanese tractor. Those were my criteria for the most part.

If you are using your tractor as a primary mower, you do not want extra weight or if you are using it to travel across people's yards in metro or suburban areas who are very picky about their yards, you don't want a heavy tractor. The later is the reason for my not wanting extra weight. Also, if you are planning to trailer your rig for an hour one way with older equipment (Truck/Trailer), you don't want a 5,000lb tractor, at least I don't. With that heavy a tractor now you need a tandem axle trailer, which I have, but is something for folks to consider who may not have.

It is good for folks to be aware that weight is a big factor in a tractor, but more weight doesn't always mean more capable. More capable by definition means being able to do the things you wish to do with it. THAT is the rub, what do you plan to do with it?

In rainy seasons, I can get on my yard a day sooner with my #1,700lb Case (w/loader) than I can my #3,000lb Yanmar (w/Loader & tires loaded) and probably two days sooner than I can with my #5,000 MF 1750M (w/loader and cab). I have spots in my yard I wouldn't even think of taking the MF a couple days after rains or I would rut the tar out of it. My FIL had a #10,000 lb tractor that I eventually told him nicely to keep it out of my yard, PLEASE. Every time he came over I had ruts.

I know your not saying that a heavier tractor is more capable in every scenario and I get the point of your thread and your crusade to inform. People do get HP hungry and forget all of the other things that factor in, weight just being one of them.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION
8/22/2022

I am looking for a low tech tractor. Something with as little electronics, plastic and gadgets as possible. I guess I could buy vintage, but in the 35 HP (+/-) range, what are the cast iron tractor brands and models to look at?

I dont farm cash crops and I dont expect to ride it for hours. I will pull it our when I need muscle. I could probably buy a compact, but likely there will be occasions when I wish I had more....

Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single (1) specification.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Look at Branson/Korean in compact tractors.
Branson is big in Texas and California, reasonably popular along the Gulf coast. Not many Branson dealers away from the coasts.

Look at Mahindra and John Deere in heavier models.

In Mahindra, not the compact tractors, which are made for Mahindra by LS of Korea, but the heavier models, made-by-Mahindra-in-India models.

John Deere also has a couple made-in-India economy 'E' models which are heavy and basic.
LINK: TractorData.com John Deere 5075E tractor information

Not for me, likely good for you.

CREDIT: Patches

I would look at Kioti LK3054xs or the updated LK30. The 3054xs is a simple, mechanically injected, mechanical shut down, no fuel solenoid 3 cylinder engine with advertised 30.5 hp, 4 wheel drive with an eight speed gear .transmission [4high-4 low two speed reverse] drop dead simple tractor. The xs version was first produced in 2004. The LK30 is the same mechanically but with an updated 3 cylinder engine [not sure about the solenoid shut down feature on this model]

Kioti LK30​

Kioti LK30 Power
Engine (gross):30 hp
22.4 kW
PTO (claimed):23 hp
17.2 kW
Dimensions
Wheelbase:64.6 inches
164 cm
Length:111.4 inches
282 cm
Width:51.4 inches
130 cm
Height (ROPS):88.6 inches
225 cm
Weight:2,897 lbs
1314 kg
Ground clearance:10.8 inches
27 cm
Front tread:43.5 inches
110 cm
Rear tread:40.2 to 49.9 inches
102 to 126 cm
Transmission
Type:synchronized shuttle
Gears:8 forward and reverse

Last edited:
   / TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION
My property is three (3) acres.

In addition, I have approximately 1,200 ft of County unmaintained Road which will require regular box blade work, including a lot of roots. Plus I want to increase road width so two vehicles can squeeze by. There are a lot of trees 4 in or less in diameter I will need to remove.

I'm seriously considering Branson. I've got two dealerships with in 20 miles of me. Would a 2000 lbs bare weight Branson 2610H be heavy enough for box blade work? I have thought about increasing the weight of the potential tractor to 3000 pound bare weight Branson 2515R.

BRANSON 2610H​

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase​
65.7 in (1670)
Overall Length (W/ 3PT)​
122.9 in (3,122 mm)
Min.Overall Width​
53.8 in (1,369 mm)
Overall Height (W/ ROPS)​
91.5 in (2,328 mm)
Ground Clearance (4WD)​
15.1 in (382 mm)
Min.Turning Radius (W/ Brake)​
9.61 ft (2.93 m)
Weight​
2106 lbs (956 kg)

ENGINE
Engine Model​
A1100N2 IDI NA
Aspiration​
Natural
Emissions Standards​
Tier 4
Engine Gross Power​
24 hp (17.9 kW)
PTO Power​
18 hp (13.5 kW)
No. of Cylinders​
Displacement​
71.7 cu.in (1,175 cc)
Rated Revolution​
2800 RPM

I consider a 2,106 pound bare weight tractor ample for three acres of property maintenance. However, your county owned 1,200' road changes the calculation. You will have to be willing to spend many hours maintaining your 1,200' root laced road with a box blade pulled by a 2,106 pound tractor Unless your soil is soft, you will only be able to move dirt when the soil is moist.

Consider that engine displacement is only 71.7 cubic inches. Generating this power requires engine revs of 2,800 rpm, so the engine will likely be fairly loud and the HST may whine. The 24-horsepower gross is at sea level. If you are above 3,500' or so in altitude, power generated will be less.
Also, this model has 15.1" of ground clearance, so it is going to feel fairly tippy, even with essential liquid rear tire ballast, to a novice operator working a rutted/uneven road.

BRANSON 2515R​

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase​
65.7 in (1,670 mm)
Overall Length (W/ 3PT)​
120.9 in (3,071 mm)
Min.Overall Width​
56.3 in (1,430 mm)
Overall Height (W/ ROPS)​
97.3 in (2,471 mm)
Ground Clearance (4WD)​
14.4 in (366 mm)
Min.Turning Radius (W/ Brake)​
7.51 in (2.29 mm)
Weight​
2,989 lbs (1,356 kg)

ENGINE
Engine Model​
Branson A1700N6 IDI
Aspiration​
Natural
Emissions Standards​
Tier 4
Engine Gross Power​
24 hp (18 kW)
PTO Power​
21 hp (15.7 kW)
No. of Cylinders​
Displacement​
104.5 cu.in (1,714 cc)
Rated Revolution​
2100 RPM

Not difficult to discern the advantage of the 2515R for road maintenance. The Synchoshuttle transmission will transfer motive power to the wheels about 10% more efficiently than the HST transmission. The additional 883 pounds and 2" of width will keep this tractor significantly more solidly planted on the ground.

With a bare weight of 2,989 pounds, motivated by 24-horsepower, I would NOT order liquid rear tire ballast. Put the rear weight into the Box Blade. There is only so much work 24-horsepower can do.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Last edited:
   / TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #114  
didn't you just sell your tractor?

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #115  
I never consider tractor weight when I buy a tractor. What I have found is that if I get the HP, footprint and comfort level that I want the weight is a byproduct and totally sufficient. I don't think I have ever done anything with my tractor and said, "Dang, I wish this tratcor weighed 1000 more pounds". I've definately said I wish it had 4wd or AC.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #116  
I never consider tractor weight when I buy a tractor. What I have found is that if I get the HP, footprint and comfort level that I want the weight is a byproduct and totally sufficient. I don't think I have ever done anything with my tractor and said, "Dang, I wish this tratcor weighed 1000 more pounds". I've definately said I wish it had 4wd or AC.
I tend to pick the size frame of the machine that I need to do the work, then get the largest engine/motor available in that frame.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #117  
I tend to pick the size frame of the machine that I need to do the work, then get the largest engine/motor available in that frame.
I'll go along with getting the desired frame size, but I don't like to get the highest horsepower engine in a frame size.
If I need that much power I'll go up a frame size.
My preference is for the mid level to lower end horsepower in the frame size. Often that max horsepower is pushing the turbo and intercoolers to the max, I'd just as soon have enough horsepower and be midway in the range.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #118  
I'll go along with getting the desired frame size, but I don't like to get the highest horsepower engine in a frame size.
If I need that much power I'll go up a frame size.
My preference is for the mid level to lower end horsepower in the frame size. Often that max horsepower is pushing the turbo and intercoolers to the max, I'd just as soon have enough horsepower and be midway in the range.
I'm talking lawn mowers. :ROFLMAO:

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #119  
But seriously, I had the choice of 3 engine sizes in the frame that my current machine is. I wanted that frame size so it would fit in my truck/garage/gates and not crush my lawn or the ballpark and church fields. I chose the highest HP to spin the mower blades on the bigger deck.

/ TRACTOR WEIGHT as ONE (1) CRITERION in TRACTOR SELECTION #120  
And if I had my choice of a 69 Nova I'd get a 396 over a 350.