Tractor weights

/ Tractor weights #1  

Toffy

Bronze Member
I have seen a lot of tractor weights on this site and thought i would share a simple idea. I used to work for a backhoe dealer,and when new machines came in they had the pins for a bucket. However most people wanted to add a thumb. In order to add a thumb you need longer pins so this made the supplied pins not required. They had a lot of pins in the warehouse that they collected over the years. I asked if there was a possibility of getting a couple. I ended up with a half dozen which i have used for various things. The mount i use is the plates that kept the pins from falling out during shipping. This was modified so that it just pins on the back of the tractor. Takes about 2 min. to install. Adds about three hundred pounds.
No amount of snow has stopped me from skidding logs or breaking trail with the blade. I have skidded 20" logs 30 ft long with a log lifter i attach to the back of the tractor. I only do this in the winter with snow on the ground. No need for a log arch with snow.

Attachments

• yujyu.jpg
    yujyu.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 1,785
   / Tractor weights #2  
Those are some big pins!

/ Tractor weights #3  
Thats a great idea. Looks OEM! Is that a custom cab too?

/ Tractor weights #4  
No amount of snow has stopped me from skidding logs or breaking trail with the blade. I have skidded 20" logs 30 ft long with a log lifter i attach to the back of the tractor. I only do this in the winter with snow on the ground. No need for a log arch with snow.

I like I like.

BUT, dont take offense to this and I am not calling you a lier or anything, BUT, I have a hard time believing 20" 30 foot logs were skidded with the setup you pictured. Log arch or not. Any chance you got some pics to verify that. I would love nothing more than to be proven wrong here.

I have skidded pleanty of logs with my tractor. I dont have a log arch, I hook to the 3PH and raise it up. (I know, big saftey NO NO with the saftey police, so write me a citation). The 3PH method not only gets the log into the air but also adds weight to the rears. And a 20" 30' log is no walk in the park. Unless you are talking softwoods like pine/fir. But where I am, Its all oak, hickory, maple, etc.

So......Where you from???????

/ Tractor weights #5  
I was just trying to visualize the size of the back hoe that those pins came with. A lot bigger than mine, I'm sure of that.:laughing:

/ Tractor weights
To clarify a couple of points. First off about the pins. They are not from a backhoe. They are from a LinkBelt Excavator about a six yard machine.
And as stated I do skid logs without a log arch. Don't forget there is about 600 lbs of extra weight on the back of the tractor. With wheel weights and chains. When skidding logs i add 3 suitcase weights for steering on the front. I would also like to add that my land is flat and very free from hills.When skidding i hook the log to the pole i made hooked up to the hydraulic cylinder used to lift the mower deck.
I have looked through my pics and don't have one with the weights(pins) installed.But this picture should give you the idea. I have also included a picture of an engine that i had to move from a storage shed to my shop. I just put the log pole on and away I went.
I also use this tractor to cut very narrow trails on my land so that i can select the logs without too much impact with the land. I also added a picture of cutting a new trail with the home made loader i made. If you look close you can see that i don't have to remove the mower deck to use this loader.If you check out my other post you will see the loader,however i have since modified the mount.
Life is to short to make a comment on being called a liar.

Attachments

• 100_5480.jpg
    100_5480.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 625
   / Tractor weights
Sorry the other pics did not upload.Hope this works

Attachments

• 100_7347.jpg
    100_7347.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 624
  • 100_1715.jpg
    100_1715.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 1,008
   / Tractor weights #8  
There's a man who gets the most out of his equipment!
Good for you.
Jim

/ Tractor weights #9  
I have skidded pleanty of logs with my tractor. I dont have a log arch, I hook to the 3PH and raise it up. (I know, big saftey NO NO with the saftey police, so write me a citation). The 3PH method not only gets the log into the air but also adds weight to the rears.

What is wrong with using the 3ph to skid logs, I've done it before and did'nt know I was doing anything wrong:confused3: