tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #1  

fraidso2000

I am thinking of buying a ford 1920 but it won't shift out of low end range, everything else is clean and it has only 344 hours.
Is this a major repair issue I should be worried about?
The tractor is a steal at $9500 with a 5 ton trailer, scrape blade and loader, 4wd, just worried about repair cost.

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #2  
I am not familiar with that particular tractor, but...

if I were to spend 9500 on anything it would not be something that may have drive / transmission troubles.

I am no tractor mechanic but I see many dollar signs when I image what could be wrong and what it would take to fix.

Just my 2 cents

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #3  
Is it possible to take a mechanic out to look it over before you buy? It might be as simply as a clutch adjustment, or it could require splitting the tractor and doing major surgery.

If it needs substantial work you are looking at at least a couple grand to start. That 9500 steal can get expensive quickly. I don't know what the trailer is worth in this deal, but the blade is under $500 and I think you could get an equivalent new tractor with FEL for under 15K. My Kubota L3700SU was 14,450 on paper in my total package.

Your tractor cost appears to be 9K less the trailer value. If the trailer is, say 2K, then the tractor is 7K. That would mean you could throw another 6K or so into it and be under the price of new, but you would still have a tractor with 344 hours on it.

It seems to me that even with a major repair it could still come out to be a bargain, but maybe not a steal anymore.

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range
Equivalent new tractors in my area are over $15000, trailer sells for 5000, the local New Holland dealer believes it's a problem with shift linkage, and said it was a good deal bring it by tommorow.

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #5  
. I don't believe you have clutch issues. But seem to think the shift fork came out of place or broke. Not familiar with this particular model but if there is shift handles are between your legs or has a access panel right there you could look in and see the forks and not that big of a job. In fact just repaired some shift forks on a farm trax last week. But if you can access there your looking a splitting the tractor. And about 10 plus hours labor. Hope this helps

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #6  
My 14' tandem trailer (bought before I thought of needing a tractor) was only $800 so I am completely out of touch on trailer prices. :ashamed:

Since you know you are getting this tractor for at least 11K below new, and suspect the fix is relatively inexpensive...Why are you asking us if it is a good deal?:confused: You have a ton of repair money built into this deal even if you have a big repair.:drool:

Why waste your time asking us when you could be out buying a tractor? :shocked:

Pull that finger out of wherever you are keeping it and run to get that baby! :D

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #7  
John- you're not so out of touch with trailer prices it's just that the original op mentioned a 5T trailer or 10000lbs. My 25' GN dovetail was $5500 new and on the same lot 14ft tandems were about $1000. To the OP I'm not familiar with the specs on this tractor so it's hard to say if $9500 for the package is worth it or not. Because you are going into this deal with mechanical problems from the beginning I'm not sure that it is a bargain. I agree that you need a mechanic to determine what the problem is an an estimate as to how much to fix.

Good luck.

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #8  
I would by a manual and look at it
for ≈ $25.00 good investment

motobooks_2126_138456774

Ford Tractor Repair Manual 1120, 1220, 1320, 1520, 1720, 1920, 2120 - I&T/Clymer

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #9  
Again I spoke with our diesel mechanic. And he suspected what I said earlier. That the shift fork is broke. Or the roll pin that holds it and it should be accessable on top of trans. Real simple to open and ck. And if that is the prob. You can fix it for most like under a hundred if you do it your self.

/ tractor won't shift from low end into mid or high range #10  
It's one of 2 things. Either simple and cheap or complex and gawsh awful expensive. There just typically isn't any middle ground with them.

Hopefully, you can do a $100 repair without having to split the machine.