Tractor won't turn over

/ Tractor won't turn over #1  

CT230 Fan

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
I also have this posted in the Bobcat forum, but figures my brothers in the Kioti family might have some insight as well since these are basically the same machines. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been using my Bobcat CT230 without issue for quite some time. I mowed about 2 weeks ago without issues. After I was done I parked it and we left for vacation. This evening I was going to mow, but I can't get it to crank at all. When I turn the key half way, you can hear the snap of the solenoid and the dash lights come on. Turn signals work, headlights work. When I turn the key to start, nothing changes. It does not attempt to crank at all. I checked my hydro pedal and PTO is off. There was corrosion around the positive terminal on the battery, but my cable seems fine. I cleaned it all up and put the cable back on, but still nothing. Just not sure where to go from there. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Tractor won't turn over #2  
Can't resist the smart aleck remark -- good thing if it won't turn over, you won't end up under it ! Hope you were talking about the engine not turning over ! Check your wiring for mouse or squirrels chewing at the wires. or for safety switches that may need attention. I have a neighbor with a new lawn tractor and mice had chewed one of the safety switch wires in half. A dish of moth balls under the hood (removed before using) keeps the mice out.

/ Tractor won't turn over #3  
check your battery cables at both ends, on the battery (both cables, not one, looks don't count), then at the point where the ground cable connects at the chassis, and where the hot cable connects to the starter solenoid.

If you haven't found it now, put a jumper battery on it and try it. If still no go, try a jumper across the solenoid to verify it's status.

Always start at the source of the potential problem first, then work down to the smaller components.

/ Tractor won't turn over #4  
You should really get a volt meter and schematic and systematically verify the electrical system, starting at the source (battery).

Assuming you don't have those, here's a quick-and-dirty check. Turn the switch to the ON position (where you hear the loud click). Turn on the headlights. Are they bright (battery OK). Dim or almost off (check battery and cables). If the headlights are bright, now turn the switch to CRANK and watch the headlights. If they go out (or almost out) now you still have a battery or cable problem. If they stay bright, you have a problem with the start "logic", such as the key switch, a lockout switch or relay, or the starter relay. You could also have a bad or sticky starter (tap the starter with a board or small hammer while holding the key in CRANK. Sudden starter failure is rare except for the "sticky" problem where a brush isn't making contact or corroded solenoud contacts.

/ Tractor won't turn over #5  
Check the quick connector at the ignition switch (under dash) for corrosion, if O.K., check the starter relay which should be mounted under the hood, right side of "firewall".