Tractor work pricing per hour

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #1  

GeorgiaYankee

Tractor
2018 Kioti CK-4010 HST, 1967 Massey Ferguson 135 (UK Model) 3 Cyl Diesel Perkins, 3 Speed, 1957 Ford 640 Gas
Need help setting a fair hourly rate for Tractor Work Services in North Georgia. I have a 40 HP Diesel Tractor with FEL that can lift 1,800 lbs. Tractor is new along with all the attachments. 6' Rotary Mower, Grapple, Forks, Rear Blade, Land Plane/Scraper Blade, Rock Landscape Rake and Post Hole Auger. I have a 16' Trailer to start out with but will be buying a 22' Trailer down the road once some work starts coming in. Consider business license, commercial liability insurance, employee payroll, equipment maintenance, fuel for bothTractor and Truck for hauling equipment.

Does $65 an hour seem like a fair price? Should I set minimum number of hours? A load/unload and haul-in fee? Equipment Rental company in Blairsville, Ga is charging $140 fee to drop and pickup equipment 10 miles from their business.

Would like to hear from both people in the business and rural property owners who would use the service. All replies appreciated!

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #2  
I've done a couple small jobs for local friends and charged $40 an hour. Around here you can get construction grade equipment that will do more/faster for $80-$90 an hour, so I feel that $40 is pushing it. I'm not doing any advertised work for strangers, do not have insurance and don't want to go into a legit business with all of the risk and cost involved.

The one girl we did a 1/4 mile driveway for called a "real" company and they were $2,000 to do her driveway including the 30 ton of 2A. We charged her $400 (10 hours, 7 on day 1 and 3 on day 2 for the 2A spread/level) and she paid the $900 for 30 ton of tailgated 2A, so she saved a lot going with us, but the other guy was going to be in and out in one day while we spent a day and a half. We likely did a better job though. It was a 20 minute drive from my driveway to her, we left the trailer, tractor and blade at her place over night.

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #3  
You will do much better bidding the job at a flat price . Digging A 10 ft square hole 10 ft deep is worth $ XXXX as a customer I dont care if you dig it with a shovel or a backhoe .

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #4  
You need to determine your equipment operating cost, including commercial insurance, before setting your prices.

Based on my own experience with $30,000 tractor and $30,000 implements, attachments plus chainsaws, I will take a wild guess that your tractor operating cost will be at least $35/hour.

I figure additional two hours of my time off the tractor, for every one hour operating the tractor, which has to be covered by revenue. To me, $65 per hour would be $35 for tractor cost (no profit) and three hours of my time, or my time valued at $10/hour. Much of my off-tractor time I am operating a chainsaw.

Like ROCKCRAWLER, I do no "real" commercial work but do track all my equipment costs. I clock 300 tractor engine hours per year.

Your experience may vary from mine, HIGHER or lower.

In north Florida "tractor services" typically begin at $80/hour, with one hour charge on arrival.

I would keep your day job and ease into commercial tractor services part time. Research the quality of work performed by local welding shops.

Last edited:
   / Tractor work pricing per hour #5  
Agree that you need to price by the job.

Its unlikely that you will get many jobs in the way of dirt work or digging. A skidloader or mini-ex work circles around a tractor when playing in the dirt. Same way with a post hole auger. Especially if you are talking about one on the 3PH. Because those almost take two people to ensure a straight hole....AND you have no down pressure. What if you hit roots, or rocky soil, etc. I own a 3PH post hole digger. I WONT use it for hire.

Your bread and butter is likely going to be just like mine. Mowing with that rotary cutter. Maybe throw in a few driveway re-grades or spreading of some stone, but mostly mowing. Which is what I like, because when it comes to digging.....insurance needs change big time.....and alot more money. And for the very few calls I get about it, cannot justify the cost.

So when it comes to mowing....just a simple price per job. Get all the details.
Location (to figure drive time and look up a satellite view to measure or confirm the acreage)
Condition. (when was it last mowed? Just waist high weeds and grasses, or over your head briars and saplings that has been untouched for 10 years)
Acreage. (Total acreage.)

Once you have all the details, you can figure an approximate time to do the job. I figure the time it takes me from the time I pull out of my drive, til the time I return. And factor my hourly rate....and just quote the customer a flat price. And stick to it.

If you just tried to tell them $60/hr.....two problems arise. Number one....you will have the customers that feel this is just insane. As they only work for ~$20/hr at their day job....and they just dont have a clue what expenses there are in operating a business. Second problem.....if they are okay with the $60/hr.....they will ask....."how long do you think it will take". And whatever you tell them, you for **** sure better not go over....or deal with them saying "I though you said it would only take 4 hours.....not 5". And when working for the customer by the hour.......its an uneasy feeling when on the seat of the machine. Does the customer want perfect quality cut? Meaning go slow and double cut some bad areas? Or are they concerned with efficiency. Just get it knocked down and dont really care about a few stragglers that stand back up? And heaven forbid you gotta stop for 5 min to clean a radiator screen, refuel, or take a phone call.

Pricing by the acre is also a loosing proposition. Not every acre is the same. My average job works out to be about $50 per acre, all things considered. An average 5 acre job takes a few hours to mow, and an hour drive time round trip. My number is $75/hr for my equip. So I figure 3 hrs x $75 and just quote a flat $225. Larger jobs like 10-15 acres of smooth pasture grass....I can mow that fast. Might be closer to $30-$35/acre. So I used to put in my ad that "prices typically around $50 per acre." (ad also says minimums apply). Well, you'd be surprise at the number of calls I got from someone.....45 min away......that had 1 acre they wanted mowed.......and I quote my minimum of $175, and they get mad and say "I thought your ad said $50/acre"....:laughing: So I took that out of the ad.

End game....just bid by the job. Its ok to have a per-hour number that you use for figuring the job.....but the customer doesnt need to know this number. Quote them a flat price for the job........thats what they pay. Some jobs may take longer than you though, others may not take as long. But you will get better with experience.

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #6  
Agree that you need to price by the job.

Its unlikely that you will get many jobs in the way of dirt work or digging. A skidloader or mini-ex work circles around a tractor when playing in the dirt. Same way with a post hole auger. Especially if you are talking about one on the 3PH. Because those almost take two people to ensure a straight hole....AND you have no down pressure. What if you hit roots, or rocky soil, etc. I own a 3PH post hole digger. I WONT use it for hire.

Your bread and butter is likely going to be just like mine. Mowing with that rotary cutter. Maybe throw in a few driveway re-grades or spreading of some stone, but mostly mowing. Which is what I like, because when it comes to digging.....insurance needs change big time.....and alot more money. And for the very few calls I get about it, cannot justify the cost.

So when it comes to mowing....just a simple price per job. Get all the details.
Location (to figure drive time and look up a satellite view to measure or confirm the acreage)
Condition. (when was it last mowed? Just waist high weeds and grasses, or over your head briars and saplings that has been untouched for 10 years)
Acreage. (Total acreage.)

Once you have all the details, you can figure an approximate time to do the job. I figure the time it takes me from the time I pull out of my drive, til the time I return. And factor my hourly rate....and just quote the customer a flat price. And stick to it.

If you just tried to tell them $60/hr.....two problems arise. Number one....you will have the customers that feel this is just insane. As they only work for ~$20/hr at their day job....and they just dont have a clue what expenses there are in operating a business. Second problem.....if they are okay with the $60/hr.....they will ask....."how long do you think it will take". And whatever you tell them, you for **** sure better not go over....or deal with them saying "I though you said it would only take 4 hours.....not 5". And when working for the customer by the hour.......its an uneasy feeling when on the seat of the machine. Does the customer want perfect quality cut? Meaning go slow and double cut some bad areas? Or are they concerned with efficiency. Just get it knocked down and dont really care about a few stragglers that stand back up? And heaven forbid you gotta stop for 5 min to clean a radiator screen, refuel, or take a phone call.

Pricing by the acre is also a loosing proposition. Not every acre is the same. My average job works out to be about $50 per acre, all things considered. An average 5 acre job takes a few hours to mow, and an hour drive time round trip. My number is $75/hr for my equip. So I figure 3 hrs x $75 and just quote a flat $225. Larger jobs like 10-15 acres of smooth pasture grass....I can mow that fast. Might be closer to $30-$35/acre. So I used to put in my ad that "prices typically around $50 per acre." (ad also says minimums apply). Well, you'd be surprise at the number of calls I got from someone.....45 min away......that had 1 acre they wanted mowed.......and I quote my minimum of $175, and they get mad and say "I thought your ad said $50/acre"....:laughing: So I took that out of the ad.

End game....just bid by the job. Its ok to have a per-hour number that you use for figuring the job.....but the customer doesnt need to know this number. Quote them a flat price for the job........thats what they pay. Some jobs may take longer than you though, others may not take as long. But you will get better with experience.

LD1 is giving great advice. I’m set up a little different than he is equipment wise so I don’t mind bidding by the acre. Like he said I never go by the hour either. Bid the job is always safe. You will get it or you won’t. Not many hidden surprises for either side.

For my stuff, I would load a trailer for less than $250. I mow my neighbors place which is .5 miles away. It’s 23acres with some big oaks. I charge him $20 per acre and can usually knock it out in 3hrs if light, 4hrs or dense. This is nice hay pasture that I mow 4-5 times per year

Brett

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #7  
I find that bidding the job works way better. People tend to get upset with an hourly rate especially if it's more than they make. You're about to hear a bunch of ridiculous prices for how much it cost to operate a tractor. I had a L3240 that I bought used with loader, grapple, backhoe. I used it 700 hours and sold it for what I had in it. The local rental places weekly rate on the biggest CTL they've got and a 50 series mini ex was somewhere around $40 an hour. Both of those pieces cost more to buy and maintain than a tractor. At a 40 dollar an hour operating cost my machine would have deprecated to a negative amount as 40x700=28000 and I didn't sell my machine for that much.

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #8  
I agree with bidding by the job, not by the hour. As a customer, I want to know what the bottom number is. If you give me an hourly rate, I have no idea if you are fast or slow, and makes it hard to compare bids from different contractors. Hourly bids are an open ended bid - could cost me $200, could be $400. I would much prefer a fixed bid.

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #9  
LD1 is giving great advice. I’m set up a little different than he is equipment wise so I don’t mind bidding by the acre.

Might be a slight mis-understanding when I said dont bid by the acre.

What I mean by that.....is dont have a set price per acre for all things regardless.

IE: Dont advertise $50/acre......$150min. Because someone may call you with 10 acres to mow. Great.....$500.

Now that 10 acres......might be wide open and mowed 3 times a year. Or it might be 10 acre total comprised of 6 different odd shaped horse pastures which take longer and should be charged more than 10 wide open acres. Or it might be 10 acres of CRP ground that hasnt been touched in 5 years.

So in the case of your neighbors 23 acre field that you do for $20/acre......in my mind that is still bidding the job. Bidding it at $460, because you already know all the variables involved. If a neighbor 0.5 miles the other way also has 23 acres they want you to mow....but that 23 acres is 4 different 5-6 acre fields, with fence rows dividing them....and its CRP ground that was last mowed 8 years ago.....would your price still be $20/acre?

And just for comparison......if I had a neighbor 1/2 mile away, and ground mowed 4-5 times a year and 23 acres....If it was smooth and not bumpy where I had to slow down......I could do that in ~5-6 and would probably be at ~$450 for the job. Upgrading to the MX and 8' cutter has allowed me to at least be competitive with the big batwings on larger jobs in my area, while still being nimble enough to do the 1-2 acre jobs, especially when those 1-2 acre jobs are around structures or overgrown lawns.

/ Tractor work pricing per hour #10  
I find that bidding the job works way better. People tend to get upset with an hourly rate especially if it's more than they make. You're about to hear a bunch of ridiculous prices for how much it cost to operate a tractor. I had a L3240 that I bought used with loader, grapple, backhoe. I used it 700 hours and sold it for what I had in it. The local rental places weekly rate on the biggest CTL they've got and a 50 series mini ex was somewhere around $40 an hour. Both of those pieces cost more to buy and maintain than a tractor. At a 40 dollar an hour operating cost my machine would have deprecated to a negative amount as 40x700=28000 and I didn't sell my machine for that much.

Exactly. When guys start figuring out how much depreciation and all that stuff I start chuckling. I don稚 know many customers that would pay what guys think they are worth for a 5-6 cutter. Customer doesn稚 care if you have 100k in equipment or 15k. The customer just want the job done. They are not responsible for your decisions to have top notch equipment. I price things fair, I知 definitely not the cheapest though. I bid it to where it痴 worth my time. I don稚 count on the income to live or pay bills. Everything I get goes in the safe so I can continue to pay cash for more equipment.

I値l be getting into spraying in the spring and have no idea what I値l charge. I知 sure I値l figure it out after a few jobs

Brett