Tractor wouldn't start

/ Tractor wouldn't start #1  

cowboydoc

Tractor
JD 8320 MFWD, JD 6415 MFWD, FEL, and cab, John Deere MFWD 4600, John Deere 4020, John Deere 4430, John Deere 455 mower, Deutz, and Gehl 4610 perkins skidsteer
Tractor wouldn\'t start

This morning I started the 4600 up to dig some trenches and it died. Started again and died. Then it would just crank over and not start. It was cold so I pushed the preheater for a few seconds and it started right up and kept running. That's the first time that has happened. It was only about 30 this am and I haven't used the preheater before. Not sure what was wrong but if your tractor does that try the preheater.

/ Tractor wouldn't start #2  
Re: Tractor wouldn\'t start

I have a JD 790, it starts fine down to freezing with out using the air intake heater.
I even started it in the 20s but it ran rough and smoked badly till it warmed up a little.
I now use the heater below 40 degrees.

The J.D.owners manual recommend using the heaters below 40 degrees.

/ Tractor wouldn't start

Yes you are right and I agree. It was just kind of odd that it started and ran and then quit. Usually they just won't start period.

/ Tractor wouldn't start #4  

I find using the preheater on my 4310 in any temp under 30 degrees aides in starting easier and with less smoke. Although they (JD) says preheat is not necessary above 0 degrees I have to believe that the warmer air aides combustion and starting at anytning under 30.

/ Tractor wouldn't start #5  

I'm new here! I know I'm gonna love this site.
Billy

/ Tractor wouldn't start #6  

Welcome BillyP to the best forum on the Internet! I see you have good taste in tractors/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif