Tractor / zero turn

/ Tractor / zero turn #11  
erkjlk:

1) Suggest don't focus so much on price. A few thousand difference over the many years you'll have it isn't much if you have what you want. And, if it cost a bit more up front, it will probably be worth a bit more in the end.

2) Re: tractor vs ZTR. Remember, its the implements that do the work (FEL, MMM, blade, etc.) not the power unit which merely drives the implement. As others have said, you can do soooooo much more with a tractor over the ZTR. If you want the quickest mower ONLY, go ZTR. Otherwise, getta tractor.

JEH

/ Tractor / zero turn #12  
I felt I would be in a good position to reply! I have 15ac and it consist of 10 or so pasture that I bale and 5 Ac that I mow around the house. Of the 5 ac I have about 200 trees.. most of these trees are part of my orchard.. probably 150 + - . I purchased a JD 935 Diesel unit for yard and around the trees..

I also have a NH TC33 With supersteer and a 72 inch MMM. The TC is really nice cutting the yard except the tree limbs on my younger trees make it difficult to use the 33. The JD is great as the front mount mower gets under limbs and turns well. Depending on what kind of look you are getting around your house both units can be nice. BTW... I have used a ZTR unit many times as my in-laws have one... I don't care for it around small trees and getting knocked in the head by the branches... HOWEVER.. in the open yard it really is nice!.. ALSO.. it doesn't do well on hills especially with dew on the ground as it will really slide...

/ Tractor / zero turn #13  
Well, budget has a lot of influence on answering this question. I first bought a garden tractor to mow my grass and tend to my minor chores. Got tired of the slow mowing and bought a ZTR. It's really great and has cut my mowing time from 3 hours to 1 hour. But, of course, I could'nt do any serious landscape upgrades or pull my wagon around. So, I bought a CUT also. I ended up spending about $21,000 for the two machines (still can't believe it) and I have the best machine for each condition.

If you can't affford to have both, another option is one of the Kubota 'outfront' mowers. These can be had with a diesel engine, 4X4, and differential lock. The outfront mower is almost a zero turn radius and it can take a variety of attachments like blades, blowers, and such.
f60_series_1.jpg

f60_series_6.jpg

gfmower.gif

Attachments

• 299074-mower.jpg
    299074-mower.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 91
   / Tractor / zero turn #14  
I have both a Kubota L3010 with 6 foot rear finish mower and a Scag 52 inch Zero turn. With the ruts on my property from the previous owner the scag took almost 3.5+ hours to cut the 5 acres and beat me up. I do the open area with the Kubota and around the house, trees,m pond slope (to much pucker factor on the kubota) and fence line with the zero turn. It now takes like 2 hours to do the whole lawn.

/ Tractor / zero turn #15  
Good point, my lot is rough as well. I get bounced around quite a bit on the ZTR, but I seem to be holding together /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif