Tractorometer Connection

/ Tractorometer Connection #1  

kbrown56

OK .. I am stumped. The particulars:

MF 165, made 1967
A4.203 Perkins diesel
6-speed (NOT a multi-power)

So I am working on bringing it back from the dead. And I am doing OK so far until I go to hook up the tractorometer (tach). I got the cable and went to plug it into the rear of the head and there is nada. Just a hole. I went ahead and got a new seal, gasket and "cable connector" so I could make it happen.

Now I am stumped. is the little silver outside-knurled thingy mabob where the cable will fit a pressure fit into the hole on the head?? Something has to connect to something to make it spin and show rpm .... and it is **** dark in that little hole and tough to peer into.

Anyone have a clue how to make it connect up?

Thanks

/ Tractorometer Connection #2  
Yes, the connector is a press fit into the end of the camshaft, this is in
the top of the block not the head BTW.

/ Tractorometer Connection #3  
I have a MF 175 and used to have a MF 165 and the tack cable goes into the back of the Generator.I suppose they made some this way and others a different way:confused2:.Larry

/ Tractorometer Connection
Yes, the connector is a press fit into the end of the camshaft, this is in
the top of the block not the head BTW.

Yeah - block. I was thinking cam = overhead cam = head ... duh. Old engine = old way. Double duh.

It fit fine, but now I get to hassle over cable length - seems the one the aftermarket folks sent may be too short internally from block-to-tach and the thread end to block seems to be wrong as well. **** ... back to Massey for the proper part and pay out the nose for it.

/ Tractorometer Connection
JJ -

Do you know what is a common reason the PTO shifter pops out of gear? Happens usually when put a load on, but it seems like the slightest tap and it pops back to neutral even when sitting and off.

Worn spring?

Thanks for your help.

/ Tractorometer Connection #6  
Just went through the wrong size cable fiasco myself !!!

The spring could possibly be weak on your PTO selector but i have found it is usually wear in the linkage some place not allowing it to fully engage, remove the plate after first draining down the oil to the bottom bolt hole and taking note how the lever engages internally, then check for slop in the lever, pin and linkage and then manually slide the gear back to see if anything is stopping it engaging.