Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,501  
Looks like fir and aspen will fund your garage if you keep going like that. What are the specs on the aspen ? Chip Board ?? Good job piling with your tractor.

gg
Aspen is going to the paper mill, it's closer and they buy it tree length rather than 8 foot. Fir of course to the stud mill, I can sell it to them and buy KD graded studs for less than it would cost me to saw it.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,502  
It is unbelievable when you see the amount wood going through one of those stud mills.

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,503  
Thanks Mr. John and Mr. Gordon for your perspectives on splitters.

That's trick being able to swap your hitch end for end Mr. Gordon!

My BIL and I both have trees and both have firewood need, so there's generally two of us working the splitting process - either at his house or mine...and occasionally one of our wives will operate the hydraulics depending on "weather" (depending on whether they feel like it ).

We do OK...but I believe we could be more efficient with our work flow (liking how Mr. Gordon is set up!)...and we could benefit with a faster cycle time from the splitter.

Also liking more and more the idea of not having to bend over on either end of the process.

• Good Post
Reactions: fc1
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,504  
Thanks Mr. John and Mr. Gordon for your perspectives on splitters.

That's trick being able to swap your hitch end for end Mr. Gordon!

My BIL and I both have trees and both have firewood need, so there's generally two of us working the splitting process - either at his house or mine...and occasionally one of our wives will operate the hydraulics depending on "weather" (depending on whether they feel like it ).

We do OK...but I believe we could be more efficient with our work flow (liking how Mr. Gordon is set up!)...and we could benefit with a faster cycle time from the splitter.

Also liking more and more the idea of not having to bend over on either end of the process.
Ive produced wood in a myriad of ways. As Gordon relates, a lot depends on the situation.
In my experience, the most efficient production of firewood short of a wood processor is this: ferry stems out of the forest with a forwarder type set up and bring to a clear landing. Pick off the stems w your fel or excavator and cut them up while perched preferably onto some type of platform to minimize picking rounds up.
Set up your fixed wedge splitter w a 4way attached and split onto a conveyor belt into a container of some sort. Lift the container and bring it in for cover or cover the container.
You are only touching splits to put into your heating device w his method.
This is the fastest and most efficient way of producing firewood in my experience.

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,505  
Definitely not the impressive operations some of you guys have going but it sure has made my life a lot easier! Took down a couple small oaks today, tractor makes for quick cleanup!

IMG_2496.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,506  
Definitely not the impressive operations some of you guys have going but it sure has made my life a lot easier! Took down a couple small oaks today, tractor makes for quick cleanup!

View attachment 870134
Not too shabby! We once brought in my brother's supply of firewood in a day, with me cutting and my father hauling it in a trailer behind his 3 wheeler. That trailer was only about 3x4 feet.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,507  
Not too shabby! We once brought in my brother's supply of firewood in a day, with me cutting and my father hauling it in a trailer behind his 3 wheeler. That trailer was only about 3x4 feet.
That sounds like a busy day!