Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,431  
OLDPATH

Yeah, I had to haul some wood off of some land I cleared to build this garage and did not one to even try without a skid plate. Not to skid over stumps, but just protect from small sticks and such from poking their way up through the tractor and touching something it shouldn't have. When you think a stick couldn't get there, it will. I made up a sub-frame similar to my backhoe and cut out a plate to put on it. It extends under the front differential of the tractor too to protect the drive shaft at this point. Once it was ahead of the differential by a few inches, I made it hinge at this location up towards the front bumper of the tractor. I bolted two plates on each side of the tractor to the front bumper that the front of the skid plate bolts too once hinged upwards into place. I can back over the plate, lift up the end of the plate and push into the receiver bumper on the back end of the tractor. Walk around to the front wheel where I lift the plate up and shove in the one inch pin that holds the backhoe in place on both sides. I then just walk to the front of the tractor and hinge the plate upwards and put two bolts in. I can take it off in seconds and put on in about a minute so its convenient. But it is getting heavy to lift on the side of the tractor but once I get the garage up I'll just shove a jack under it. I made it out of 1/4" plate, maybe could of went with lighter. But I also knew at the time that I'd be backing over it while on the ground and didn't want to deform it too much while doing so, so put on thicker plate. I kind of want to tip the "wings up" so there's a little bit more clearance off the ground between the front and back wheels but then while I back over it to install this may cause it to wobble. I wouldn't mind making "walls" to bolt along the edge to protect a hydraulic block and to keep a stick from coming up through by the fenders. But I do know that if there's that many sticks around, I don't want to be there with the tractor. I have the J5 for that now. It worked well. I just notice your hauling a lot so figured you must of had something underneath that. It looks like its been touched a few times too........

IMG_2648.JPGIMG_3374.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,434  
Heres a poplar that lightning struck I was working on earlier this year.

DC3C449E-8384-4721-9E24-76272A90913B.jpegA4F64DC7-E22B-4B70-8A5E-A0AE911DBC43.jpeg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,435  
Working the Gilson mower...

100_8606.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,436  
Several years ago, I bought a used American CLS model AM-25HH highboy log splitter with all the options - including a hydraulic log lifter. For the most part, I've never had much use for the lifter. I tend to hand load the logs and use the lifter as a staging table. It helps that most of my firewood is 12" or less diameter

Today was different. I was cleaning up some Red Oak that had blown partially over in a wind storm last fall. The sections I was cutting today were 18+" diameter x 16" long. Since they were still fully green, I calculate the weight of each one at 150#. I was glad to be able to just roll these up and have the lifter bring them up to the splitter. I quartered them with the single wedge, keeping the quarters stacked on the log loader as I went. Then I put on the 4-way wedge and re-split them. Even then, some of the pieces were larger than I like them (I prefer splitting on the small side, since it burns more efficiently). I probably could have used the 6-way splitter on this straight-grained Oak, but I didn't have it with me. The finished pieces were pushed right into my trailer. The lifter was definitely a back saver today.

Splitting Red Oak.JPG

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,438  
Several years ago, I bought a used American CLS model AM-25HH highboy log splitter with all the options - including a hydraulic log lifter. For the most part, I've never had much use for the lifter. I tend to hand load the logs and use the lifter as a staging table. It helps that most of my firewood is 12" or less diameter

That is a nice splitter :thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,439  
That is a nice splitter :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It works well. I used a Timberwolf TW2 and a TW2HD in the past (this one is almost the same as the TW2HD). The splitting power is the same between the 3 of them. I like the set-up of the Timberwolf splitters a little better. However, the price of any of these new is quite a shocker. I was able to get the AM-25HH used and in good condition for about $2000. Two years ago, a new one with all the same options I have would have run me $4000 plus shipping. The only issues it had was a carb that needed minor work (cost me about $35) and a bent log cradle attachment point (which I still haven't gotten around to fixing).

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #6,440  
Years ago when my father bought his first Kubota he also purchased a 3 pth unicorn log splitter, http://firewoodresource.com/firewood-equipment/firewood-splitters/unicorn-log-splitter/ as a backup to the hydraulic 3PTH splitter that he had made. The first thing that he tried to split was a big piece of yellow birch, but it didn't go as planned. The log spun and jammed, stalling the tractor. After messing with it for some time trying to get it freed, he headed back for the barn, with the firewood still stuck on the splitter. That was the last time I saw it; I don't know if he sold it, took it back and traded for something useful or gave it away. Mostly though I've always wondered if he ever got that piece of birch off. :D