Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,981  
That seems to work pretty good if you have the equipment and help. But, I would need a 24' trailer or keep jockeying the trailer around as I cut. I cut my logs up to 24' long and can zing off 18" blocks into a pile pretty quick and easy. Why would I have to pick them up ? When it comes to splitting I just roll the blocks off the pile into my bucket. Then stand in one spot and split a whole bucket full throwing the splits into a rough row for sun drying or into a trailer depending.....

gg
I don't have a 24' trailer, and I many times bring whole tree's to be cut over my wagon or trailer. Anyway, it's a LOT easier to move the tractor than it is to move a trailer. lol I don't always have help, so I make several cuts off one side, then if the tree is so long it hangs over, I move the tractor and cut off the other side. Then most times, I then set the center part of the log on the cut pile and finish cutting the center.

Nothing is on the ground, no "human" lifting or re-lifting with the tractor to split the blocks and have to handle them again and again.

SR

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,982  
10* here this morning and frozen ground too, so I took the opportunity to get the M out to be able to remove the wheel chains. Lots of small tractor jobs still have to wait till the ground dries out more.
Since it has sat a few weeks, I plugged it in last night to ease things for it when I started it today.:)

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,983  
About 12 degrees here when I got up, but the snow we got yesterday prevented anything from freezing back up.
It was cold enough though, so that I just had to boost my Kubota. I had thought I'd dodged buying a battery until fall, but perhaps not.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,984  
15 here in southern Michigan this morning. I cut a bunch of rounds on Sunday myself, but looking at your pile makes my back hurt, haha. If you're going to hold the logs up in the air with a grapple to cut, why not hold it over a trailer, tote, or rack of some kind? Like Sawyer Rob is constantly showing us. :)
Then you wouldn't have to pick up those huge round off the ground. Just a thought.

I need to issue a PSA here: If you chainsaw suddenly gets louder, maybe stop cutting to inspect it. I figured my cheap aftermarket muffler had simply failed internally, which WAS true, but it also failed on the back side, and blew hot exhaust gas straight at my plastic saw case. My poor old MS310 got hurt pretty bad, melted a spring mount for the chain brake. Gotta Mcguyver it back together, or just figure out if I'm ok running with no brake. Hmmm.

KhUdcN9.jpg

In the meantime, I sort of panicked about not having a good running saw on hand. Hopped on craigslist and found this nice MS311 right nearby, score. All my old MS310 chains and bars transfer right over.

yZeM8xp.jpg

My sandy soil has been thawed out enough to be pretty dry and stable lately. These recent deep freezes actually make it worse in my woods, until it thaws and dries out again.

qL2M11w.jpg

Despite the current cold, and delayed start of spring, the woods are still coming alive. Pileated 'peckers, king fishers, tons of robins. First green shoots should really pop after the warm rains roll in tomorrow.

tduXH2P.jpg
I had the same thing happen on my MS029, the muffler melted into the top of the bar oil tank, there was no re-figgering with that, the case was toast. Luckily, my boss' Son-in-Law put straight gas in his MS-290, & the entire saw was headed for the scrap heap. I jumped on that, & put my engine in his case! This got me new handles, barely used linkages, and Flip caps! All for the cost of free & a long afternoon moving everything over.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,985  
Hey, that works! Yeah having a helper is... ideal. If not, a loader bucket of rounds at a time makes sense to me.

I'm not saying that my own methods are any more advanced. I toss logs into a row/pile, and then cut them up. Then have to pick up all the rounds, too. I toss my rounds into pallets/totes so that I can use forks to either stash them for a bit, or bring more than a front loader bucket at a time over to my splitter. For now, anyway. I have designs in my head of an elevated, sloped "cutting rack" that would allow gravity to help bring all my cut rounds down directly to the splitter deck, in a semi-permanent location. TBD.
It's like your in my head!! I wanted to make a sloped table as well, but I don't always get straight logs. In fact most of what I go for now is the crooked or severe leaners that won't roll down so good to where I can cut them. But if you do end up putting something together, I'd love to see what you come up with & get feedback.

This was my original inspiration, but I wanted it all to go to one side, not in the middle.

Attachments

• 20190414_113018.jpg
    20190414_113018.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 87
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #19,986  
It's like your in my head!! I wanted to make a sloped table as well, but I don't always get straight logs. In fact most of what I go for now is the crooked or severe leaners that won't roll down so good to where I can cut them. But if you do end up putting something together, I'd love to see what you come up with & get feedback.

This was my original inspiration, but I wanted it all to go to one side, not in the middle.
Yeah! A table like that, that only slopes one way, with some stops at the bottom to keep any logs from rolling off. Crooked logs are maybe good, they wont want to roll on you. So grapple/fork drop a few logs on the table, cut them up, and they easily roll themselves down. NEXT, maybe get a skate-wheel conveyor section, that runs just barely downhill and brings them right to my splitter?

1648584538962.png