Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,021  
I do not have a bucket. Gotta do what ya gotta do. Interesting thought, like cable over hood with mods. And down on hydraulics? It also extends another 4.5 feet.View attachment 764506

Thanks for the pics. I see now. That first set of pics I saw what looked like a grill guard and head lights and assumed you had it on the front. You can do a lot with a pole like that. Nice job on it with plenty of adjustment.

gg

Last edited:
   / Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,022  
Question on creosote. Is there such a thing as good creosote and bad? I have a fireplace and burn mainly oak and hickory, almost no pine. I burn roughly a chord of wood a year, maybe a little less. When I clean my flue, which I do about every 5 years, I get something out of it that is very dry granules. It would be enough to be about 3 or 4 inches in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Is this normal?

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,023  
Question on creosote. Is there such a thing as good creosote and bad? I have a fireplace and burn mainly oak and hickory, almost no pine. I burn roughly a chord of wood a year, maybe a little less. When I clean my flue, which I do about every 5 years, I get something out of it that is very dry granules. It would be enough to be about 3 or 4 inches in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. Is this normal?
Seems like a lot, but I dont know how tall your chimney is either, might switch to cleaning every couple years. That's how I do mine, and I may get a inch in the bottom of a bucket max, but my chimney isn't to tall either.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,026  
SPF dimensional lumber:

"In Eastern SPF wood species, there are the White Spruce, Black Spruce, Red Spruce, Jack Pine, and Balsam Fir. Eastern Species of SPF lumber tend to grow slower, increasing the strength of the lumber. I

gg
Here the SPF comes in so wet, most good builders want KD D-F,L, (Kiln dried Doug-Fir, Larch) Don't see much S-Dry, and if its stamped that way, it usually isn't dry by the time you get it, sits out too long.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,027  
I don't use a wood stove here in Texas all my wood
cutting & burning was from Wisconsin and the temps
in the winter minus 35 below zero was common and
minus 30 was common for during the day and it was
a flue type chimney. I know about; the creosote I worked
for the railroad and all the ties are full of it and one guy
was renting and he was burning the ties and you could
see the very large area around his chimney was all black

I will not tell what I use to keep the chimney clean as I
told what I used to keep from having to pump a septic
tank and the responses like it don't work etc. We and
my relation never pumped out their septic system and
so far here over 35 years never p;umped once! I don't
believe in the crap they say to use in your septic system
A cake of yeast every couple months drop in toilet and
flush works for us and its a whole lot cheaper and don't
hurt anything!

willy

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,028  
You can help me use up the bad ones... ;-)
When I bought the last one , I mentioned how quickly the previous one had self destructed and the tech did admit that they had gotten a bad batch at one time but the new stock was good.
If I had a receipt for the bad one i likely could have gotten credit but I had bought that one years before and had it sitting on a shelf as backup for the original unit:(

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,029  
Ideal size of wood is not my concern. I need a mix of sizes and I like larger pieces to keep the fire going for hours when I am out or at night. Wood is not that expensive and a, say, 10% gain in "efficiency" is not as important to me as having a fire that works.
Exactly. Not getting up at night is a big benefit. For about 3 months the stove is going 24/7 and with the stove up to temp 9" pieces will burn solo. I will comment that I mostly burn Doug Fir. I cannot burn 9" diameter hardwood solo, the fire will not stay going. I do split those smaller, but I have little hardwood.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #21,030  
When I bought the last one , I mentioned how quickly the previous one had self destructed and the tech did admit that they had gotten a bad batch at one time but the new stock was good.
If I had a receipt for the bad one i likely could have gotten credit but I had bought that one years before and had it sitting on a shelf as backup for the original unit:(
Here's hoping my next one is good then.