Tractors and wood! Show your pics

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,031  
^^^^
No oak here, but when I was a kid we used to let it season for two years before burning it. That got it about as dry as the maple and beech.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,032  
^^^^
No oak here, but when I was a kid we used to let it season for two years before burning it. That got it about as dry as the maple and beech.
Oak is one of the few species I can't get to dry enough to burn cleanly in just one summer season of drying here in Vermont. It usually has to go through two summers (and best if it's stacked in single rows out exposed to the sun & wind).

Few woods dry in a reasonable amount of time while still in long log length.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,033  
Oak is one of the few species I can't get to dry enough to burn cleanly in just one summer season of drying here in Vermont. It usually has to go through two summers (and best if it's stacked in single rows out exposed to the sun & wind).

Few woods dry in a reasonable amount of time while still in long log length.
My father really liked his cordwood saw so we would cut it in 4 foot lengths to let it dry.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,034  
I went to grapple out the downed tree behind the 3 smaller bulls today. Those three ran into the woods, but the larger one on the right stood his ground. These are Roosevelts, the largest of all elk. Racks are not as large due (I think) to the fact that they adapted to our heavy underbrush. I decided to do something else rather than get off the tractor with that guy acting up.
elkD.jpg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,035  
The wood I posted about in my last post I probably won’t burn until 3 years from now. Im always thinking ahead three years for my wood supply. I’ve got enough for the next two years that is split and stacked.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,036  
The wood I posted about in my last post I probably won’t burn until 3 years from now. Im always thinking ahead three years for my wood supply. I’ve got enough for the next two years that is split and stacked.
I was two years ahead, but a year and a half ago my back was so messed up that I didn't put any in. Last spring I literally burned my last stick at the same time that I stopped needing a fire. Now I'm trying to get my supply built back up. I was glad last year that I had that qeue.
I finally got my back straightened out when I was issued a new company truck... the seat in the old one was worn out and like sitting in a lopsided 5 gallon bucket.
Generally I bring home cull log ends which are cut off when making hardwood logs so I only burn rock maple and yellow birch, with some ash and beech. That saves the wood on my lot for when I can no longer bring it home.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,037  
I started a firewood side business last year. I won a bid on an F250 plow and dump bed truck the city was getting rid of. Here it is:

View attachment 852285

I have made a few deliveries using the bulk bag system I have adopted. Dumping the pallet/bag was not working well as most of the wood stayed in the bag. So I designed an attachment that allows me to lift the bag into the bed of the trunk without the pallet. I can then use ratchet straps through the bottom loops on the bulk bag to hold the bags in the bed while the bed dumps. Here I am loading with the new attachment:

View attachment 852286

Each bag holds 1/3 of cord and I can put two bags in the bed. That is about all the truck can carry.

This spring, I will be adding 18" sides to the truck so I can load the bed directly from the processor. Again, 2/3 of a cord per load.

An added bonus of the truck is the MVP Contractor plow. I will likely sell the inverted blower I have for the LS4140, and generate some cash from the sale. Plus, I will not need to store the blower inside any longer.

Trying to work smarter and not harder as I get older and lazier.

I like the loading forks and new truck Shooter ! How do you keep your bags upright while on the road, or are they stable the way they sit ?

I used to do some log length fire wood (10 footers) with my one-ton. Delivery could be a pain, especially in the spring. People wanted it out back then got mad if you made a rut in their lawn even after you told them it would happen ???

gg

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,038  
Off Topic:
24 years ago I used to be up in your neck of the woods daily. Schenectady, Ballston Spa, Saratoga, Amsterdam, etc.
Nice! I love the area I live in now. In the country but not too far from necessities.

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,039  
I went to a friends place who a few hundred acres of mostly woods a brought back a load to my place. It’s oak and I probably won’t split it until early fall. My tractor was just barely able to pick up the largest log with my forks.
View attachment 852336View attachment 852337View attachment 852338

I like your backup mirror. Where did you happen to get one? Despite being a younger guy, my neck is still stiff from all the snowplowing lately.
Thanks in advance!

/ Tractors and wood! Show your pics #23,040  
I like your backup mirror. Where did you happen to get one? Despite being a younger guy, my neck is still stiff from all the snowplowing lately.
Thanks in advance!
As I recall I got the mirror from Amazon. Our local farm store sells them also, probably for 4 wheelers.