Tractors to avoid...

/ Tractors to avoid... #1  

joerocker

Silver Member
Tractor
Farm Pro 2420
Ok, you guys convinced me... I'm going to get "American Iron", used of course, from someone local (within 50 miles).

So, my question (and hopefully my last, thanks for your replies so far) is...drumroll please...

What tractors should I AVOID.

I've got a list of local dealers I'm going to call and see what they have used in the 30-40HP range. I just need a compact tractor to cut my grass on about 6 acres. I don't see a need for a FEL (oooh, I'm getting the lingo down).

Anything besides that MF-135 that I SHOULD be looking for? BTW, dealer doesn't want to budge.

I want RELIABLE. Besides routine maintenance I don't want to do anything to it! So keep that in mind in your recomendations.

You people have been MORE than patient with me and I appreciate it.

This is my beginning of "live the dream", retire, get some land, a pond, raise some animals...I have NO experience with tractors besides my riding lawn mower.

Thanks!

/ Tractors to avoid... #2  
You want what everybody wants. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Look to the dealer that you want to work with and want to trust. Get to know him/her or one or two salesmen and go from there. The other things will fall in place.

/ Tractors to avoid... #3  
Things I'd avoid are beat up X-rentals, machines that just look rough and dinged up, leaks, etc. If it looks rough and neglected it probably will be trouble in the future regardless of brand.

Personally, I like older iron, most name brands were simpler machines 10 or so years back and are less money. Of course a well maintained newer tractor will do just find if you can find one thats priced right.

BTW, 30-40 HP seems kinda strong for 6 acres. I think you'd be happier with a 26-32 HP machine which would be easier to maneuver and less weight on the grass.

/ Tractors to avoid... #4  
Look for something which has good service records, perhaps even that you can talk to the previous owner. My tractor buying was a pleasant surprise; with none of the pressure I get when truck shopping.

/ Tractors to avoid... #5  
<font color="blue"> dealer doesn't want to budge. </font>

If you are satisfied with the tractors condition and really want it, Instead of asking the dealer what his low $ is, try making a reasonable offer. I would be surprised if he did not come down a little or throw in delivery or 1st oil change or something?--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *New Big Tub Seeders/Spreaders $320*

/ Tractors to avoid... #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What tractors should I AVOID......
Anything besides that MF-135 that I SHOULD be looking for? BTW, dealer doesn't want to budge. )</font>

If the mf is in good condition other than the clutch, which you said the dealer will be fixing.. then..you may have found your unit. While 5000$ isn't a 'great' deal.. it isn't a 'shaft' either.

If you do get the MF.. make sure the dealer replaces the 3$ tranny input shaft seal while he is doing the clutch. You'd hate for a 250$ clutch job to go bad due to a 50 year old seal letting go on the input shaft...

Look for the size and hp you want / need.. find one with no existing problems that won't be adressed by the dealer.. that is.. don't buy a bad leaker.. or one that does not charge.. or doesn't start reliably.

Look at play in the steering components.. some is ok.. lots is not desireable.

Look for live pto.. either by 2 stage clutch or indepedent pto.. unless you can live with a non live clutch.

Look for units with good aprts availability. ( Ford and Ferguson / massey-ferguson will have great parts availability. )

If you go for a ford.. avoid SOS trannies..

Soundguy

/ Tractors to avoid... #7  
Hi SoundGuy... hope this finds you and yours well and safe.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you go for a ford.. avoid SOS trannies..

Soundguy )</font>

SOS Trannies?? Please elaborate for this Greenhorn. Me that is /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks,
Jim

/ Tractors to avoid... #8  
I bet he's talking about the "Select-O-Speed", which was kind of an automatic transmission for a tractor. As I understand it, and I bet Soundguy can tell you better, it was kind of a cross between a manual tranny with standard gears but had bands/links like autos do, so that you can change from range to range without clutching. I don't think that you can can go forward to reverse without, but I'm not certain.

My experience with a SOS is fairly extensive - we've had a 1967 (or maybe a 1969) Ford 5000 gas engine Hi-Crop model for about 20 years. It was out of service for about 5 of those due to bad carb (we got a 7700 and didn't really have a need for the 5000, so it just set around). Finally got around to getting it fixed, and now it is more a less a dedicated hay mowing tractor.

I have heard about numerous failure of SOS transmissions from people who heard it from other people, but don't know of anyone who actually had one fail (but I've got to believe from the overwhelming opinion that they probably did have a high failure rate - if they were really good/reliable, they'd probably still be making them). The 5000 with the SOS that we've got seems bulletproof, but I imagine it probably is the exception rather than the rule. Avoiding the SOS is probably a good idea, unless you get an absolute steal (i.e. tractor for $1000 or less in running condition).

Sorry if I've passed along any mis-information - feel free to correct me if I'm in error. That's just my experience with SOS transmissions.

/ Tractors to avoid... #9  
I was given my father in laws F5000 with selectomatic after one of his employees took 5 of 10 gears out... That tractor was more trouble than it was worth., The sad thing was I checked with local dealers and each one said the same thing... No new parts available, none were made for years and years and what was avaiable was used parts that may or may not be worse than what I already had.. It got so bad to keep it in any gear for hog mowing, that I traded it against a new Mahindra at that time...

/ Tractors to avoid... #10  
Rtim pretty much hit it on the head.

There were high early failures.. but then there were dealer and field services that were available to correct problems.

I've seen my fair share of otherwise good tractors that were waiting for a gear tranny to be installed, or were 100% complete parts tractors, sans the piece between the engine and rear end.

In my area.. a tractor with an SOS tranny, in otherwise 'equal condition with a gear trannied model, will bring at least 25% less money. In some cases, you the sales is lowered a couple grand, as the new owner is figuring in the 1000-2500$ cost of a gear tranny 'if needed' inthe purchase price.

In the end.. I'm sure there are many well maintained sos units going strong, and that will continue to go strong. As mentioned.. maintenance is a big issue.. so ir repair and adjustment.

Those that know how to service the trannies properly will probably get the best performance and use from them.

In the antique tractor catalogs you usually see a few adds for people buying or sell complete SOS trannies or parts.. etc.

The local NH dealer, and the "awesome" tractor mechanic down the street.. neither will even glance over at an SOS. The only repair they will make on them is to swap them for a gear tranny..etc.

Soundguy