Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #1  

Engine66

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305 & 4720/400cx/BH448
Some of you recently helped me buy a 2305 earlier this year and it has been one heck of a little machine in many ways. Part of my "fleet" includes a Kubota L3830 HST w/BH90. I have decided to trade it in for a JD4720.

Unfortunately, despite an easy life, my Kubota has not been very reliable. With only 114 hours on it, I have had a complete failure of HST repaired under warranty for over $3k, rear 3ph valve replaced due to repeated cycling (caused by debris in hydraulics from the HST repair), and frozen loader valve replaced (out of warranty) for over $400. The HST failure was not due to abuse or over heating...just doing some simple light-duty grading and began noticing shiny fluid on ground. I hopped off, and saw hydro fluid leaking underneath. Anyway, long story short, I was fatigued with having a dealer come out and charging me $75/hour for driving time and each way is 2 hours and having to wait until "they were in my area" weeks later. Every repair was a hassle. Making matters worse is my property is very hilly with a ridge and I was always in low range on any incline. Loader was great, except for stalling on heavy loads. I am not trashing Kubota, but my personal experience was unpleasant and costly...and reliability/warranty did not live up to expectations. Immediately after buying Kubota, I asked dealer for trade up to a larger L for more HP, but they never got back to me...oh well.

After having the 2305, I really liked everything about it...no complaints...so decided to look into another JD to replace Kubota. My local JD dealer evaluated my Kubota, offered $24,200 trade in value and I decided after reading every post imaginable on 3x20 vs 4x20, I decided to go for broke and order a 4720. I probably won't use full potential of this model, but I have real need for ground clearance, hill climbing, working in woods with Farmi winch, bush-hogging, etc. I don't think my price on the deal is as sweet as others, but in the long run, it may well be worth it.

4720 ehydro
400cx w/73 HD bucket
telescoping links
power beyond
3rd SCV
front & rear worklight kit
deluxe brush guard (need it...I broke a Kubota headlight making a brush pile)
automotive cruise/motion match upgrade
JD canopy
armrest kit (why not)
block heater
R1s...need the traction
$33k even (no tax)

Having applied on Oct 26, I was able to get 0% @ 36 months.

My dealer is close, will come out for 3 year warranty, provide great service, etc. I was not impressed with Kubota warranty. I am giving up my BH, but that had already paid for itself with several projects I completed with foundation work on a couple room additions and some rock-work. I will say the BH90 was is a great backhoe...smooth controls, fairly easy to take on/off...as long as the pins line up! I may buy another BH in future...we'll see.

Anyone have any input on 4720...reliable? Worth the extra $$$. I don't want to waste money, but then again there's nothing worse than wishing after the fact for more HP. Before I do it, I am open to input/advice and appreciate the previous posters who helped me buy the 2305...thanks.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #2  
I always get a kick out posts that ask if a tractor is good AFTER they've already bought them. :) (Or is the order not yet signed?)

Anyway, I think the 4720 is quite solid and has more hp than can realistically be used in its frame size. Should be a nice step up from the L3830, and of course dealer service makes a huge difference in the "quality of the machine" itself. Personally I think the 4720 hp is only needed with the cab model, and with a ROPS model I think the 4520 would be all you need. However, I haven't owned either one, so take this with a huge grain of salt. Anyway, good luck!

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720
Order is not complete yet. I actually have some time to make a final decision on several quotes for various models from the 3x20s to 4x20s. The time to act is limited though, because JD has changed their financing program. 0% at 36 months is not offered at this time, but because I applied for credit on the 26th...I can get that rate. That rate saves thousands on a large deal.

I read numerous threads on the 3 vs 4 series, Yanmar vs PowerTech, all specs, etc. and thought about going with the 4720...it fits the budget, but can't say if it's worth the budget. Unfortunately, I have not been able to look at or sit on a 4x20 because 2 different dealers do not have them...not even in the shop. I do like the 3x20 too...very nice. Anyway, thought I would post my deal here and see if anyone had some last minute input or advice. Not too proud to reverse course or consider a change. Thanks.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #4  
Very interesting reading about your experiences.

Have you researched Blue or Red tractors if there are any dealers in your area?

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #5  
I think you got a good deal on the setup, I also agree that size tractor vs. that hp you will never see full potential. as they say, you always wish for more hp, never for less.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #6  
Sounds like you might want to inquire about the underneath armor kit.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #7  
There is no armor kit sold by Deere but I would recomemnd having one built for it. I have 400 hrs on my 4720 and love it. Mine is set up for HD use with belly pan and FOPS. Let me know if you have any questions.

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #8  
In complete agreement with ZMichigan - there is no need to go with the 4720 - save yourself a few bucks and get a 4520... :D

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #9  
Only 120 hours on my 4520 doing various farm chores (brush hogging, cutting/raking hay, brush and small tree clearing, FEL work, etc) and I'm quite pleased. Reliability has been good. Mine is not a cab, and I have to agree with the previous posts that, in general, I lose traction long before I lose power. I expect that I will only seriously tax the HP capabilities of my 4520 is when I load it for weight and hook up a square baler (which I haven't done yet, the baler is in the budget for next year).

Chet

/ Trading in Orange L3830 for Green 4720 #10  
Welcome to the green team and don't look back.

I can say that I lose traction in my 4320 long before I run out of power. But, I have R4's so I'm not a good judge. I would consider analyzing the cost between the models, needs of your implements and going with what you think is right, instead of just going with the 4720.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Restaurant Table, Kerosine Heater (A34007)
Restaurant Table...
Pallet of Misc Automobile Plastic Wheel Covers. (A33079)
Pallet of Misc...
Unused 4in Wood Chipper Attachment, (A33079)
Unused 4in Wood...
2015 Kenworth T3 Series Flatbed Truck, (A33078)
2015 Kenworth T3...
Fuel Trailer (A33041)
Fuel Trailer (A33041)
Bow Gate (A33041)
Bow Gate (A33041)