Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions...

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions... #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I live in California and to balance the budget fines and fees have escalated greatly.

A simple broken taillight ticket averages about $490... $100 for the fine plus $390 in fees and if not paid promptly a $300 court surcharge is added which leads to Driver's License suspension if not cleared.

An extreme example is a woman who did not notify the DMV she moved within the days prescribed by law... she was sent a $25 ticket in 2010... the ticket went unpaid and is now $2,900

Watch those vehicle code violations!

4.2 million have lost driver

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions... #2  
I live in California ....

Well, there's your first problem! :laughing::laughing:

Seriously though, those are some pretty high fees/fines you're talking about. But as more states cut back on what they're getting from the Feds and the localities are getting less from the State, you're seeing this sort of thing all over the country. It never seems to dawn on the governmental entity that maybe they should cut back a little themselves.

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions... #3  
Even here in Tennessee things are a little rough. The last I heard down in town a simple speeding ticket is $175 or for the same price you can keep it off your record and go to traffic school.
In Tennessee no proof of insurance is a $100 fine, but if you show up to court with proof they throw it out. However, from what I heard down in town is that its $175 and even if you show up with proof of insurance you still pay.
They also have an unmarked truck with a speed camera in it. Red light cameras I can agree with somewhat, but if they don't have the gumption to come out and chase you down I don't think much of speed cameras.

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions... #4  
Don't text and drive in Maine. First offense is $310, second is $610. There are no doubt court fees on top of that.

DISTRACTED DRIVING ENFORCEMENT -- During the past six months, State Troopers have cited nearly 1100 motorists for texting and distracted driving and the chief of the department said those enforcement efforts will continue throughout the year.

The Chief of the State Police, Colonel Robert Williams, said his department has received two federal grants totally almost $300,000 to conduct increased enforcement of motorists who are driving distracted. Williams said the funding will pay for Trooper’s overtime, and that in addition to his fleet of marked cruisers, State Police are using a variety of unmarked cars and SUVs to monitor traffic and cite drivers who are not paying attention while driving.

Williams said, “The largest percentage of drivers cited were for texting, but Troopers have also summonsed motorists for eating, reading and putting on makeup. Drivers have one obligation -- to drive -- and delay the distractions until they are not behind the wheel.”

The chief said that since September 1, Troopers have cited 1,080 motorists for distracted driving. Of that number 429 were cited for texting. Also included in the total number were 54 commercial vehicle truck drivers for using their handheld cell phones. Commercial drivers are only allowed to use cell phones hands-free. That restriction does not apply to drivers of passenger vehicles.

The fine for distracted driving is $119 and the fine for a first offense of texting is $310, which increases to $610 for a second offense.

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions... #5  
Was reading a completely unrelated blog after I posted #2 (above) and came across a link to this article.

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions...
See Texting and Cell Phone use everyday... multiple times.

Not owning a cell phone it is easy to say it is something I have not done.

There is an entire movement to squeeze every last cent possible from the public... both for violations and non-violations like paying $180 annual license fee for my 1985 Chevrolet Van.

For the first time water waste/failure to conserve now comes with a $500 fine... mandatory residential restrictions are in place with a 30% target reductions... to compensate... water rates will increase 35%... and this says it all.

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions... #7  
See Texting and Cell Phone use everyday... multiple times.

Me, too. This seems to be the "norm" around here even though it's officially illegal, and I absolutely HATE seeing it. It's just as dangerous as drunk driving when you look at the statistics.

Even if you're not actively driving, it's awful -- just yesterday taking my son to school, a lady sat through a green light because she was texting, and didn't even notice all the people honking behind her.

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions... #8  
There is a small town(8900 people) next to my town that writes 1100 tickets per month on average. Lot of traffic through Mission KS so they make a fortune on trivial traffic stops just to find more things to write tickets for. They even have a driveway tax. If you have a driveway you get taxed on the number of vehicles they determine can fit on the driveway. Target store pays about $15,000 in driveway taxes.

Government is getting way to big and out of control.
Had a political tax taker claim taxes need to be increased to be the same as other states. No other reason just had to tax as much as the other states.

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions...
There was a time when government only purpose was to serve... I really think it has done a 180 with the purpose being to not only grow but thrive.

I've been to city council meetings and it gets hard to listen to all the talk of how much fees can be raised vs the number of protests expected...

In 1978, a groundswell of California voters passed Prop 13 and Sacramento has never forgot...

How can anyone with a straight face explain how a $25 ticket for failing to report an address change become $2900...

Only explanation is because they can...

/ Traffic Fines and Related Vehicle Code Infractions... #10  
Best way to tax the poor and whats left of the middle class. Due to recent events Fergerson Mo jails folks who don't pay traffic fines and events in SC jail people who don't pay child support. Kind of hard to pay child support or fines when in jail. If I was in jail, I probably won't have a job when released!

mark