trail clearing technique and tools

/ trail clearing technique and tools
#1,201  
As seen out on our trails today.
brttree085.jpg
rangerrollerbrt0078.jpg

#1,202  
Back out there today for some late season clean up and got everything done we hoped to. Top photo is de-limbing the dead-fall and I am not under it. 1/2 an hour later the trail was clear. Why do we use pole saws?? :eek:
1700437321013.jpeg
brtpolesaw109.jpg
brtpolesaw113.jpg
brtpolesaw117.jpg

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,203  
I made and maintained a 4wd trail for years until dad sold the property… 3 years later and it was impassable and 5 years after the sale to the city any trace is fast disappearing.

I laugh to myself when certain elements claim alterations man made linger for decades or centuries… when I can see my work return to nature in a short 5 years and I’m sure in 10 with no trace…

If I was a jokester a well placed granite memorial stone would create a topic of discussion into the next century a or longer…

#1,204  
I made and maintained a 4wd trail for years until dad sold the property… 3 years later and it was impassable and 5 years after the sale to the city any trace is fast disappearing.

I laugh to myself when certain elements claim alterations man made linger for decades or centuries… when I can see my work return to nature in a short 5 years and I’m sure in 10 with no trace…
Ain't that the truth. Everywhere the climate and vegetation is different but here, some trail is gone in a few years.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,205  
That was a huge dead-fall hanging there.

/ trail clearing technique and tools #1,206  

If I was a jokester a well placed granite memorial stone would create a topic of discussion into the next century a or longer…
At the house where I was born, there was a 90' escarpment overlooking a lake. My father built about 150 steps down to the lake. It consisted of switchbacks to navigate the steep slope, and was made entirely out of salvaged broken concrete sidewalk pieces that he'd pick up for free. Every spring we'd scrape back any soil and leaves that accumulated over the winter, clear any vegetation, and repair any frost damage with concrete pieces and cement. It would always take a few days each spring. Great memories of family projects.

Last week my wife and I took a walk across the lake from the house, as we do several times a year. The steps are no longer visible. The people that live there have no desire to go down to the lake, let alone maintain the steps and trail.

All 4 houses on that escarpment had steps going down to the lake, and nice landings at the bottom, some with piers, all with sandy beaches. They are all gone. The sand is even gone, reclaimed by the lake. Only one house had wooden steps. Those are still visible, but dilapidated.

Interesting how peoples' ways of life have changed over the years.

#1,209  
This morning we dug a 3/4" walled pipe out of a asphalt debris pile for use as a culvert on our trail. What a job getting that out! The help installing it was much more fun.
culvert070150.jpg
culvert153.jpg
culvert0164.jpg
brtcrew0173.jpg
brtcrew0175.jpg
brtcrew180.jpg