Trail smoothing

/ Trail smoothing #11  
I use a landscape rake, it works well for the soil we have. Mixture of black dirt, clay, and rock. The rake sorts off the rocks, moving them to the side, and leaves the dirt behind. Add enough hydraulics to it ( T-n-T, hydraulic swivel, and maybe even offset) and it really gets productive.

/ Trail smoothing #12  
I've help make atv trails in upstate NY with a team of BX tractors. One with a box blade and the second with a york rake. Between the two you can level out and then finish smooth a pretty nice trail. We do thru the trail with the BH and FEL on first to remove all the big rocks and stumps then come back the the BB and york rake. Works pretty well.

The log with cyclone fence never worked for us since the trail was too tight and really hard to get turned around when you needed too.

/ Trail smoothing #13  
Scrounger said:
I've help make atv trails in upstate NY with a team of BX tractors. One with a box blade and the second with a york rake. Between the two you can level out and then finish smooth a pretty nice trail. We do thru the trail with the BH and FEL on first to remove all the big rocks and stumps then come back the the BB and york rake. Works pretty well.

The log with cyclone fence never worked for us since the trail was too tight and really hard to get turned around when you needed too.
The biggest problem with towing some thing with a chain is getting it turned around on the other end of the field.

/ Trail smoothing #14  
Hello, I live in an area where we have to mantain our roads. I use an I beam with chain link fencing and at the chain to tractor connection I use a small trailer tire 12 or 13 inch. Hook the chain thur the tire and then simply set the tire over the ball hitch. It cushions the shock when the drag gets hung and also self disconnects when you back up.

/ Trail smoothing #17  
So I had an idea one night after reading this thread.
The following picture was my idea, but it didn't work very well, the fence kept getting pulled toward the rear.
The second and third photos show how you need to attach it to the scraper to keep the fence in place. It worked pretty well. I got the fence free from somebody on freecycle, then spent 10 bucks on cargo straps. So far so good.
fencescraper1.jpg

The pictures below show a better way to attach it.
fencescraper.jpg

fencescraper2.jpg

/ Trail smoothing #18  
amazing how an old (16 year old) post has answered my question for maintaining steep wooded trails... thanks to all