Trailer Axle capacity

/ Trailer Axle capacity
Great... thanks guys for all the insight!!

/ Trailer Axle capacity #12  
If those are 14.5" it is likely Mobile home axles. Usually rated around 6k. Usually not great axles, tires are expensive and the brakes have thin lining.
I would pass. Those are nothing but a headache.

/ Trailer Axle capacity
Thank s again guys!!!

I think I will pass just because I'll probably spend a few dollars to update and I could just put the money towards a newer trailer that I know exactly what it is or isn't.

/ Trailer Axle capacity #14  
I would pass. Those are nothing but a headache.
How so? I've have a couple trailers with them and haven't had any problems other then a slighter rougher ride at times.

/ Trailer Axle capacity #15  
How so? I've have a couple trailers with them and haven't had any problems other then a slighter rougher ride at times.
Tough to get the wheels centered on the hub, get brakes for, get bearings and seals for, and will always be questioned when selling and by LEO.

/ Trailer Axle capacity #16  
Back in the mid 80's my dad and I bought one of the frist gooseneck trailers built by a local manufacture. It came new with 3 mobile home axles.

I would hate to know how many 100's of thousand of miles that trailer has on it and I have never had any special issues with the axles. There's not much farm related or other really that it hasn't hailed. I use to haul a 1586 international with factory duals and a full set of suitcase weights on it. Back then, we were pulling with a FWD F150. No diesels, no turbos, just a 351M with a 4 barrel

I have a bigger Horton now, so I don't use it as must, but I would not hesitate to pull it anywhere. I can still buy new tires/wheels locally for $30. Bearings and seal at the local parts house. Never worried with the brakes.

Never really had any trouble centering the tires. It takes a little practice but once you learn how it's not hard.

/ Trailer Axle capacity #17  
Are there legal issues if you get pulled over hauling a tractor or something obviously heavy, and don't have a weight rating anywhere on the trailer or in the title docs?

/ Trailer Axle capacity #18  
Tough to get the wheels centered on the hub, get brakes for, get bearings and seals for, and will always be questioned when selling and by LEO.
Maybe it's regional but we don't have those problems here, the axles on my trailers aren't mobile home axles but standard dayton style hubs. Brakes, bearings, seals etc. are all off the shelf items. Most parts will interchange with dexter axles.

I've never heard of a problem with law enforcement, lots of older heavy duty trailers use dayton style axles.

I think there's a lot of confusion between mobile home axles and regular dayton axles.

/ Trailer Axle capacity #19  
Maybe it's regional but we don't have those problems here, the axles on my trailers aren't mobile home axles but standard dayton style hubs. Brakes, bearings, seals etc. are all off the shelf items. Most parts will interchange with dexter axles.

I've never heard of a problem with law enforcement, lots of older heavy duty trailers use dayton style axles.

I think there's a lot of confusion between mobile home axles and regular dayton axles.

Same here. Never been pulled over. Never been an issue.

LEO's around here will check the tires. Must be DOT approved. They will check your tag weight and compare it to the axle ratings. Brakes, lights, etc...

A neighbor of mine was pulled over couple years ago. He was pulling his skid steer with his 3/4 truck. Didn't have enough tag weight purchased. Cost him a tick over $700. He was using a factory trailer with non Dayton type wheels and rims. LEO's around here look for trucks pulling heavy loads. The consternation over Dayton Style wheels are not an issue.